C90 speaker any good for leads?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richaxes

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm closer to getting my Mark V every day. I have tons of questions popping up in my head (sadly, I can't try a Mark V here in Hungary, so it will be a blind, and also very expensive purchase. Mesa EU is kinda funny... A new V combo costs around 4000 USD here). The latest one is whether I should get the combo or the head.
I was leaning towards the combo because it has a built-in speaker which makes it easier to carry just the combo itself to a smaller gig, but then I've heard many bad things about the C90, especially for the high gain rhythm and lead tones. I definitely don't want swapping it for a V30 and take the risk of blowing the speaker if anything happens.
If I'd take the head, I'd probably have enough money left to get a used cheaper Marshall or H&K or whatever V30 412 cab, and as far as I know the V30s, they seem to be a better match for the Mark V. What do you guys think?

I have quite a bit of experience with C90s, both as the stock speaker in my old Mark IV combo, and the top two speakers in my old Boogie 4x12. I think they're a fantastic speaker - they're a Celestion Classic Lead 80 - and more importantly, they're an outstanding match for Mark series Boogies.

benjamin801 said:
I have quite a bit of experience with C90s, both as the stock speaker in my old Mark IV combo, and the top two speakers in my old Boogie 4x12. I think they're a fantastic speaker - they're a Celestion Classic Lead 80 - and more importantly, they're an outstanding match for Mark series Boogies.
+1. They're great all-around speakers. Of course, it's mostly a matter of taste.

I haven't had single issue with the C90 and think it has great tone for both rhythm and leads. I have the combo but am considering the head. Its a great sounding amp but I hate lugging it around its a really heavy combo. Leaving a cab at the rehearsal hall and a smaller cab at home is my plan and just carry the head and gig bag.

I have two Mesa cabs with C90's - love them both. Nice and clean tones.

I think you cant go wrong with the C-90. What matters is what you hear. I personally didn't care for V-30's with my older boogies but think the MK V is more tuned to them. When they made the IIC+ and MK III the C-90 wasn't an option so they were tuned to EV's and Celestions. I am actully interested in trying a recto cab with my V.

I put a v30 in my combo and haven't blown it.. I believe you can order them with the v30, at least form some dealers. I found the v30 to be smoother and less harsh in the highs. I believe the c90 is actually the same a celestion classic lead 80. Haggerty's music posted a comparison of the v30 vs the c90 when used with the markv. After hearing the demo I swapped them.. Look em up on YouTube.

Haggerty's also gives you the choice of a C90 or V30 for the same price. Quite cool.

any dealer should allow you to have the v30 in place of the c90, if you custom order.

I was playing with only the c90 open back cab today (which i usually have that in combo with the vertical 2x12 v30) and was quite pleased with the tones, with no eq changes. i then plugged the 2x12 back in and thought it was quieter and didnt sound as good.

so i'd say yes the c90 is good for all applications.

Back