C90 = Classic Lead 80

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t2mike2

Reaction score
Interestic factoid. On the edge of my "classic 90" speaker, there is a celestion sticker that says g12-80 made in the U.K.

So basically the c90's ARE classic lead 80's. Not special CL80s, not some custom mesa modified speaker... classic lead 80's with a different sticker on the back.

So if youre thinking of getting the combo and you dont like CL-80s,... uhm dont...

on the other hand if you do, then rock on.
Arent most celestions made in china?

I wonder if i could sell this thing for a pretty penny since its a british made cl-80.

~mike~

Wrong. C90's are a proprietary speaker design made by Celestion for Mesa. It is based on the Classic Lead series, but it is not the same speaker. Contact Celestion themselves and they'll tell you the same thing. And yes, most Celestions are made in China now where as the ones for Mesa are still made in England.

Dude... ON MY SPEAKER IT SAYS G12-80.....

i reapeat , ON MY SPEAKER IT SAYS G12-80. the g12 80 is the classic lead 80.

~mike~

My speaker is says "Peavey" 'cause somebody stuck a sticker on it. Doesn't mean it's not an EVM 12L. Mesa has a very specific deal with Celestion. This is the only reason all Boogies don't have Eminence or Mesa's Own speakers. The neo bass speakers are built by Eminence and the rest of the bass speakers are built in house. In fact Mesa has plans to build their own versions of the V30, Greenback, and CL90 in-house but it's on the backburner right now.

The frames and the cones are separate pieces before they build the speakers and what probably happened is that Celestion needed more frames and grabbed some that already had stickers on it.

Or maybe some smart *** took a MC90 sticker and stuck it on a G1280. Did this speaker come in a Mesa amp you bought new or did you purchase a Mesa CL90 secondhand?

If you buy a replacement speaker direct from Mesa, it doesn't have a sticker affixed. It comes separate and the end user has the option to attach the sticker.

The easiest way to tell is to look at the vent in the center of the driver assembly. If it has a large vent, it's an MC90 with a g12-80 sticker on it.

If it has no vent it's a CL80 with a Black Shadow MC90 sticker on it.

Either way, since it's blatantly obvious that the CL80 and MC90 aren't identical speakers there's no real sense in arguing any different.

lead801.jpg

100_2046.jpg

t2mike2 said:
Dude... ON MY SPEAKER IT SAYS G12-80.....

i reapeat , ON MY SPEAKER IT SAYS G12-80. the g12 80 is the classic lead 80.

~mike~

So does mine, but I am also aware that Mesa does have something going on with them that the Mesa speakers are not the same, off the shelf, Celestions.

I can attest to the fact that they are not the same...and certainly don't sound the same. I've got both speakers and have tried them in each of my Mesa amps (and past amps) and the speakers do not sound the same. The C90 is a darker sounding...but much better sound IMO, than the CL80.

Latest posts

Back