c30 vs black shaddow

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnotoad696

Reaction score
Gain junkey here... full big daddy V... stocked with EL34, which is better for ch3, gain gain gain...... curious about speakers tho. I've always been a black shaddow guy, but I've been hearing around the block that the vintage 30's might have a better gain/heaviness to them. Opinions please? Thanks in advance. I do have one cab with one of each... but im thinking of switching to strictly v30s from what i've heard.. ?? anyone?

I'm running my V (big one) with EL34s and a pair of Vintage 30-loaded ported 1x12s. I also have cabs with the C90s in them, but I do prefer the Vintage 30s for the sounds I'm after.

Why? Again, gain junky here.... I'm running el34s.... Will the c30 give me a more agresdive gain than the black shadfow?

Why? Again, gain junky here.... I'm running el34s.... Will the c30 give me a more agresdive gain than the black shadfow?

The speaker won't give you gain. What it will do is either break up or not, and it will EQ your power amp.

V30 has tight lows with a strong mid peak and good breakup. C90 stays clean, works really well with your clean channel to give bell-like tones and scoops the heck out of your gain channel, with thundering lows.

Greenbacks will get crispy early and have tight lows. But low wattage, so you'll need to run them in a 4x12 configuration with a 90W amp.

Most aftermarket speakers go for something like one or the other, or a tradeoff somewhere in the middle.

Ease up on the gain, you'll get better tone and you'll play better. Set the volume louder. That will give you what you want.

I came across this video a while back. It might give you a rough idea of the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJYmOKC4h0

elvis said:
Ease up on the gain, you'll get better tone and you'll play better. Set the volume louder. That will give you what you want.
Great advice right there.

Let's not confuse distortion with signal gain, which is what your gain knob controls. Too much signal gain into the 1st & 2nd gain stages of the amp is going to kill all your note to note definition.

I play original modern rock (sort of a Tremonti/5FDP meets Ozzy/Whitsnake thing) and live in CH3 MKIV @ 90W and my gain is around 1:00. For solo's I add a TS-9 as a boost. I have V30's with C90's in an X pattern in my o'size Recto 4X12's. For me it's the perfect blend of the V30's aggressive mids & highs with the solid bottom end and smoother top end of the C90's. I found a full set of V30's too harsh & a full set of C90's too boomy.

Have you ever tried your MKV with a Marshall 1960 cab? I'd bet you would like the G12T-75's. I have a Marshall MF280 loaded with the G12T-75's and it definatly moves the amp's character into that over-compressed distortion thing, but at the cost of definition in the mids.

Volume is really the key regardless, as well as treble settings in the preamp.

HTH, YMMV

Dom

Latest posts

Back