C13 Clipped on Mark IVB?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehollx

Reaction score
I had to pull my chassis out last night to troubleshoot a no sound issue due to a power supply problem on a Mark IVB.

I found the culprit of the issue- a fried power resistor (R124). Poked it with a chopstick and the sound returned. :D That baby will get replaced with a fresh one.

Two things I noticed, though:

-The resistor that fried appears to possibly not be stock. I bought the amp second hand. I notice almost all of the resistors on the board are tan metal film vishay/dale resistors, and any other higher watt resistors are carbon resistors. This resistor (R124) is the only one I notice that is a Xicon resistor. Does anyone know what type of resistor is normally here? Or does anyone have some decent shots of a known-stock IVB PCB? I'm just curious if I should be suspecting that this resistor has blown in the past.

-While scoping around for the culprit, I noticed that C13 has been clipped (or broken). This is a 250pf cap bypassing R323 (220K) off of v4a's plate. I'm not sure if this is clipped by accident or intentional. Is anyone aware of a factory/non-factory mod that clips this cap? I have a feeling this cap is responsible for letting some highs bypass the R, and would brighten the lead channel up slightly. I'm going to connect it back, I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to (if it was intentional) why it would be clipped.

Oh another question. The MV always seems to be at 1.8 or 2 on these amps. As a result, it's super touchy. I know that this is common in practically all Mark series amps, but while I have her open, I'm willing to fix it.

Has anyone ever tried throwing a 220k resistor across the wiper and leg of the pot to allow for a less touchy MV?

phyrexia said:
Talkin' Output or channel MVs?

Oh yeah, Im talkin' output master.

I have to say I hate the way all of the volumes are designed on this amp. I have the clean volume nearly at 10, and the lead volume at under two to balance the two channels volume out, and then the master volume stays below 2 most of the time.

stevehollx said:
phyrexia said:
Talkin' Output or channel MVs?
I have the clean volume nearly at 10, and the lead volume at under two to balance the two channels volume out, and then the master volume stays below 2 most of the time.

wha???

i've never had that problem on any of the 7 mark IV's i've owned.

Latest posts

Back