c+ mod for Studio Pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am looking for a mod for my studio preamp. i picked mine up frome someone that owed me money, and it sounds god awful. it is from 198--- sometime and doesn't sounds anything like the one i played in the early 90's. any help would be great. like where i can get anyting going for this.

studio preamp circuitry has always been the same in its production years, as far as i know... probably there's something in it not working correctly... maybe it's time to change tubes or recap...but i'm not an expert, i'm sure someone here will help you in a better way :)

Jben,

What settings do it have it at right now? I can give you some sample settings to use and see if it sounds better if you're interested. I have owned my Studio pre since '89, and I STILL find new tones with it to this day. It's very easy to dial really bad tones on it, so it could be your settings, or it could be your tubes. It takes a lot of tweaking to find good tones, but they are definitely in that sweet black box!

As far as I know, snowman is the only dude to have a C+ mod done to a Studio pre. But I know another guy on the JP board had a C+ mod done to a Quad so I'm sure Boogie can do it. I have been meaning to call up boogie and see what they say though. If they will do it, I will probably send in my Quad because I would like to get it up to at least the same quality level as the Studio (the studio is SUPER fat and warm sounding). Maybe Boogiebabies has some info since he's the C+ dude :)

FWIW, I really love my Studio pre and the tones are just GREAT. So I would check your tubes first, if it sounds the same then you should have a tech look at it.

mJ

thanks guys. thomer some sample settings would be good. give me something that rocks that way i know if there is something wrong with it. i tried some new tubes at a store but never bought them cause they didn't make a difference.

thanks for the help

This setting is one of the best heaviest settings I've found on the Studio Pre:

Volume: 9
Master: 7
Treble: 7 3/4
Bass: 4
Middle: 4 1/2
Reverb: 3
Lead Drive: 5
Lead Master: 4 1/2

Lead Fat switch: On
Lead Bright switch: I keep it off, but you can try it on.

Output Levels: 6

Good luck! Let me know how it sounds!

Thomer

Here is one from the manual called "metal lead"

Volume: 6 1/2
Master: 4
Treble: 8
Bass: 5
Mid: 5
Reverb: 3
Lead Drive: 6
Lead Master: 3

Lead Bright switch: On
Lead Fat switch: On

Use "V" with the graphic EQ

Output Levels at 7

i am searching for my best tones with my studio pre too... so thank you for sharing your settings thomer! I would like to know which guitar you are using with those settings...
and another question to all, which were studio pre production years?

Ytse,

I have a Schecter "S" series strat. It's got a Floyd, sperzels, humbucker in the bridge, and singles in middle and neck. I also use an ESP Vintage strat with EMG's all around w/ a Floyd as well.

4nkam said:
hey ytse, I just noticed you are in Italy. You should have Masotti do the C+ mod on the studio :)

mJ
yes i've heard that masotti should do the C+ mod... in fact i was thinkin' if it was worth or not...

Well, I just got off the phone with Marcus over at Boogie in Petaluma and asked him if they do a C+ mod to the Studio Preamp. He said no, the only mod that they do to it is to reduce lead gain. I thought he was kidding at first, and then I realized he wasn't. He said that is the only mod they have for the Studio Preamp.

So the guys who have had a C+ mod done to the SP must have been a while ago, or by someone other than Boogie.

the only mod that i know of is done by a guy in canada named james peters of peters amps. i don't know if it is a "c+" mod or what. i know he increases the gain and makes it a real 2 channel preamp. he said that with shipping it would be around $300. i don't have the cash for that right now and i don't know if i want the gain changed as of yet.

snowman said that he had the C+ mod done by Masotti amp factory in italy, but i can't say if it is exactly the same of the C+ mod done by Mesa Boogie at Petaluma. He actually brought MarkIIC+ preamp schematics to Masotti and had some mods done on his studio preamp. He had also some other customizations if i understood well...

Latest posts

Back