Buying a Mini Recto and have a question for owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dante said:
I just had to chime in here - I played through a mini recto for the first time last weekend and was totally blown away. Don't ask me what settings I used, I just tinkered until I got it where I wanted.

It was running into a Mesa 2x12 vertical cab (not the older halfback-one of the newer sealed models) on a hardwood floor & it sounded very nice.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of these gems to anyone playing any style

As a member of the DC Cartel do you still have a DC amp? If so, you wouldn't have had a chance (or may get a chance) to run it through the 2x12 recto cab would you?

I could probably drag the DC-5b over there - mine's a combo.

I can't promise it'll be anytime soon, the guy has a 2-year-old and his wife just happened to be out of the house with the rugrat at the time. No telling when we'll get time to try that, but I will try.

Are you running a head and looking for a cab?

dante said:
I could probably drag the DC-5b over there - mine's a combo.

I can't promise it'll be anytime soon, the guy has a 2-year-old and his wife just happened to be out of the house with the rugrat at the time. No telling when we'll get time to try that, but I will try.

Are you running a head and looking for a cab?

I have a DC-5 combo like yourself and I'm looking to 'open' up it's voice a little on the lead channel. I just happened to plug it into my son's Hughes & Kettner (very) entry level quad and it was like 'wow', but I don't have an appetite for lugging a full quad around. If the recto cab's voice suits it I might grab one. Might also invest in a Radial Cab-Bone Speaker Cabinet Switcher to toggle between the open back combo and the cab.
btw, there's a cool video kicking around YouTube that compares a recto quad to a stiletto quad - each has it's own very distinct voice.

I do have one bit of experience that might intrigue you - I have a couple of 1x12 ported Thiele cabs loaded with EVs :)

I have plugged one into the combo to give it some extra oompf, but found that the combo really didn't need it. That is, it made such an insignificant difference, that it wasn't worth carrying around the extra (heavy) cabinet. That combo has a much larger sound presence (IMO) than most 2x12s.

The part that puzzles me is, when I bought my Thieles, I had one 1x12 hooked up on the left and a 4x12 (loaded with v30s) on the right - the Thiele held it's own in that comparison. Really, it was just as full and clear and of course, loud as the bigger cab. I don't understand why it doesn't make a more profound difference to the combo.

FWIW: I have both of my Thieles at the rehearsal studio, I run my rack gear at rehearsals. I could drag the DC over there & plug it into one of them for a 'fresh' comparison if you like. I don't mind ;)

Latest posts

Back