buyin single rec from US to AUS, Ebay...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pasc22

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mesa-Boogie-Single-Rectifier-Solo-Head-Mint-Condition_W0QQitemZ140337851227QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20acc9ab5b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Im from Australia, and to me it seems that buying this from the states and paying the $250ish shipping and then buying a transformer will work out cheaper then buyin one here. Is there something im missing?

Just out of curiosity (I may be moving to Australia from the states) where would you buy one there - what stores sell Mesas?

Unless they're really considerably more expensive than they are in the states, I would imagine you'd be better off buying one brand new. There have been a lot of reports of tubes breaking and other issues that come from shipping amps overseas by private parties.

Not to mention - don't use UPS or FedEx. I've shipped musical instruments through both these carriers. UPS did extreme damage to a guitar.

I sold an electronic drum set on ebay and used FedEx, had the shipping completely insured. They ended up breaking the module (the most expensive part of the set) and denying my claims. Not only was it fully insured, they actually packed it themselves at a FedEx store.

There are hundreds of stories like this surfacing every month, you can find them easily on Google.

Well, don't forget, you'll very likely get raped by taxes and duties no doubt by our customs...

Also, you'll get more replies from the awesome collection of experienced Mesa users here (and there are a few who also live in Australia) if you change the subject of this thread to the actual subject. (Something more like "Buying a Recto in Australia" and less like "hi".)

ok sweet, well the store around where i live that sells mesa is called musos corner, and these ones go for about 4grand new there. but if i were to buy it second hand from ebay, from an aussie, probly about $1800.

If the seller understands what he's doing and packs well, it could work out cheaper for you. My last two Mesas went to England and Russia, and Russia has very strict size requirements (79 inches for length + girth).

The alternative being to learn it yourself and teach the seller - how to remove the tubes and package them separately, and how to properly pack an amplifier. I believe that Mesa Boogie will actually tell you how to do this over the phone if I remember correctly.

I guess that store makes sense, but **** - that guy must be making a LOT more off of each amp he sells than Mesa Boogie even does. What a rip off. I hope he at least sells Mesa cabinets for an affordable price, or if there's maybe some place that sells Marshall cabs for an affordable price, so you don't have to have a cabinet shipped in as well.

But you know - buying it secondhand is never a bad idea with these amplifiers. At least in mine and my friends' experience, most anyone who buys these amps takes good care of them.

Leng said:
The alternative being to learn it yourself and teach the seller - how to remove the tubes and package them separately, and how to properly pack an amplifier. I believe that Mesa Boogie will actually tell you how to do this over the phone if I remember correctly.

I guess that store makes sense, but **** - that guy must be making a LOT more off of each amp he sells than Mesa Boogie even does. What a rip off. I hope he at least sells Mesa cabinets for an affordable price, or if there's maybe some place that sells Marshall cabs for an affordable price, so you don't have to have a cabinet shipped in as well.

But you know - buying it secondhand is never a bad idea with these amplifiers. At least in mine and my friends' experience, most anyone who buys these amps takes good care of them.

Mesa Boogies are just very expensive outside the USA, and prices are fixed, or are at least very close to each other in certain regions...

honestly i wouldnt do it. i couldnt trust a step down transformer myself. and getting a new power transformer is very expensive. you can find good deals generally on ebay for single and duals here anyway

Latest posts

Back