Buy amp, advice needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitriol666

Reaction score
So I have the triple recto and I love it for the gain monster it is. Together with my LP it moves air :D But... I love to play guitar all the time, not just with my industrial metal band so I need a smaller amp to fit my small 1 room apartment.

When I´m playing alone I kind of mess around and play all kinds of music. Love the tone of Gilmour, Vai, Eric Johnson, Danny Gatton, Albert Lee, Petrucci, Page. The cleans HAVE to be good!! No real need for a metal machine when at home.

I mostly use a 52 Tele RI and a 68 LP Custom RI

My budget is app. 1000-1500$ and I would love to try the LSS and the LSC. Would any of these be overkill? Is there any cheaper old combos worth looking for? Dont really need insane high-end at home. I live in Norway so bear in mind that I dont have the opportunity to try much before buy.

Wow! 66 views and no help for this guy.

As fasr as the Lonestar goes. No need for the classic but the special sounds about right. The older ones with the 10 watts class A. The express could be the ticket also. Same deal.

But if your realy just looking for something for home why spend a grand? Epi JR for $100. is nice and clean at reasonable levels. Not a boogie nor as flexable, but 1/10 of your budget.

I know that I could manange with something much smaller and cheaper than the LS. I have considered the Peavey Classic 30 as well. It just that I love Mesa´s so much that I cant stop dreaming of having the a lot of different ones. Besides the LSS looks good
:D I will look into the Express.

hey I'm not saying NO to you buying another Boogie. You said something about home playing and nothing about having more Boogies around.

Ok then. The Express or the LSSpecial is your option for what you want.

There is a guy on G&LPD.com in the Market PLace that has a Special in custom colors. He wants $1300 for it. He says he is only willing to ship in the USA, but if your interested contact him anyway and bug him. He must be looking at something {needs money to fund} to make him think about parting with a Mesa.

check out the Express 550 or 525. It fits your budget perfectly and it is very flexible as far as tone goes. My wife hates it when she can hear my guitar screaming up at her from the basement. But with 550 set on the 5 watt setting I can turn it down to a mere whisper. Before the the Mesa I had a 65 watt crate and that was my biggest complaint with it was that I could not get the volume low enough.

get a fender deluxe (22w) or a peavey 30/50. or, now check this out, a 150 watt solid state anything - brilliant for country type cleans. Just don't turn it up too much. Skol!

treelifeUK said:
get a fender deluxe (22w) or a peavey 30/50. or, now check this out, a 150 watt solid state anything - brilliant for country type cleans. Just don't turn it up too much. Skol!

Been thinking about the Peavey 30 as well, just generally sceptical about Peavey. Skol! to you as well, althought it´s "Skål!" :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys, I´ll try some of the amps mentioned above. Although it will most likely not be a Mesa because I´ve spent to much money on guitar right now. But maybe something cheap comes along:wink: I know I should save some money and go for the best but I want an amp right now :D Nothing would be better than a Mark IV, but then again, in my opinion, it would be overkill at home but I would definately think about replacing the triple recto if I found one. I will try my new Tele on th erecto tonight. Very exited about how it will sound like
:D

vitriol666 said:
Thanks for the advice guys, I´ll try some of the amps mentioned above. Although it will most likely not be a Mesa because I´ve spent to much money on guitar right now. But maybe something cheap comes along:wink: I know I should save some money and go for the best but I want an amp right now :D Nothing would be better than a Mark IV, but then again, in my opinion, it would be overkill at home but I would definately think about replacing the triple recto if I found one. I will try my new Tele on th erecto tonight. Very exited about how it will sound like
:D

It sounds like you have a very nice guitar so try to buy the best amp. Hate to see you play a great guitar and not have a great amp to get your great sound out of your guitar. I have a mark IV combo and I do most of my playing at home. So many great sounds out of this amp and it sounds good when I play my PRS guitars :p through it. Good luck.
Jim

vitriol666 said:
I live in Norway so bear in mind that I dont have the opportunity to try much before buy.

Come down to Gothenburg - Musikborsen on the North Side of town. They can demo most any currently sold Mesa amp. I hear the price difference for buying in Sweden will make up for your traveling expenses unless you live in the far, far North.

Thanks for the advice. I live in Oslo so it´s only a couple of hours by bus. Bought my previous ENGL in Stockholm. I don´t know if theres a big difference in price. Have played a couple of times in sweden and checked out som studio gear and guitars but the prices were the same.

A LSS 2 x 12 in Norway costs app. 4000$ by the way :evil:

Latest posts

Back