Burstbuckers or Fralins in my Les Paul Class 5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe187

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

Anybody tried Fralin's in a Les Paul? I have a Class 5 that comes stock with Burstbuckers - a 2 and a 3 I believe. They sound great, and most of you would probably not mess with a good thing, but I can't leave well enough alone.

I have Fralins in a Strat and a Tele and they are killer single coil blues pups, especially pushing a lightly distorted amp. I have never heard the humbuckers however.

If not Fralins, anybody have any other suggestions? I'm looking for a versatile sound (some metal, lots of rock, plus good rich cleans) and liquid lead tone.

Here's a pic of my Class 5 if your interested. It is a gorgeous guitar.

P1010017-1.jpg

Thanks

Joe

Fralins. I have a set of unbuckers in a Les Paul and they are amazing.

I've got a Fralin 8k/9k set in one Les Paul, and a 12k/13k set in another. I think they are the most musical pickups I've ever used. Love 'em!

I have Burstbucker Pros in another Les Paul. They sound pretty good too, but the definitely compress more than the Fralins. I can really hear the difference between the Alnico 5s in the Burstbuckers vs. the Alnico 4s in the Fralins.

cvansickle said:
I've got a Fralin 8k/9k set in one Les Paul, and a 12k/13k set in another. I think they are the most musical pickups I've ever used. Love 'em!

I have Burstbucker Pros in another Les Paul. They sound pretty good too, but the definitely compress more than the Fralins. I can really hear the difference between the Alnico 5s in the Burstbuckers vs. the Alnico 4s in the Fralins.

What's the difference in sound between the 8k/9k and the 12k/13k? Just output?

Hey Rob

Thanks for the heads up on WCR pickups. I got in touch with Jim and have a mixed set of Fillmore/Crossroads on their way. Yeah a bit pricey, but what isn't in this world? Hey I also noticed you have a Strat Ultra. You are the only other person with one I have ever seen. How do you like it? I think they are great strats. You have any issues with the Tremsetter? I took mine off and have it as a straight 3 spring trem. Seems to be more stable. I really lube up the nut a lot.

To everybody else - If you haven't done it, check out the WCR site.

http://www.wcrguitar.com/

If you are at all like me, at one point in your guitar career you latched onto the Allman Bros. and know Duane's and Dicky's tone like your own heartbeat. Check out the Fillmore set of pups and the Stormy Monday sample on that site. Its very close, if not dead on. The Crossroads site has the "Not My Cross To Bear" tone down cold, not to mention EC's Crossroads tone.

I have both these pickups coming and I am going to throw them in my Les Paul. Jim is fantastic to deal with and I am really looking forward to this weekend. I'll try to post some clips when I can...

Joe

Neuro said:
cvansickle said:

What's the difference in sound between the 8k/9k and the 12k/13k? Just output?
Output, for sure. The 8/9s are like vintage PAFs, the 12/13s are stronger and louder, drive an amp harder. etc. But NOT like super distortion pickups - these have everything you like in a PAF, but lots more of it!

Output, for sure. The 8/9s are like vintage PAFs, the 12/13s are stronger and louder, drive an amp harder. etc. But NOT like super distortion pickups - these have everything you like in a PAF, but lots more of it![/quote]

Yeah that's exactly what I was concerned about! Does anyone know what output the burstbuckers are? thanks

Latest posts

Back