Built a case for my Dually and rack gear today :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey383

Reaction score
For less than $100, and it holds up pretty good. Fits my Recto head, 4 pieces of rack gear above it, and has storage spaces on both sides of the rack. Some 3/8" plywood, screws, casters, handles, some carpet, foam, and it turned out pretty nicely. The good thing is that I can pretty much turn it on its side, and the head stays in there. I have 1" foam all around the head, except for over the vents.

Pic. Sorry for the crappy picture. My digital camera is MIA at the moment, so I had to take a pic from my phone.

props :D def need more pics im thinkin of buying one i cud def make one but its too cold out side to cut wood and im lazy :lol:

how much does that weigh all together im thinkin of gettin one but im thinkin its gonna be too heavy and awkward to transport without a trailer :cry:

I put it on the scale, and it weighs 82 pounds fully loaded with the head and rack gear. The case itself only weighs about 10 pounds. I'll say roughly 90 pounds fully loaded with the front and back covers on. I didn't bother to make those yet, but I'll get them done probably later this weekend.

We had a couple 55 degree days here this week, so I took advantage of them. It took probably about 5 hours, and that's with some goof-ups that I had to redo. I ran out of carpet when I was doing the inside, so I'll have to piece some in when I get more.

It's not too bad to move around. I threw it in the back seat of my Honda last night after band practice.

It was cheaper to build than to buy. I was looking at some on ebay that were $180, and they were only 1/4" plywood. My bottom is 1/2" and everything else is 3/8. I can pick it up and it doesn't flex. It doesn't have the nice aluminum corner beads, but oh well. It holds my gear in one convenient package and will protect it.

If you have access to a table saw, drill, and grinder, it's not hard at all to make.

Found my camera - Here's some more pics.

Front
Side
Back
Other side

How did you assemble the wood? Screws? Glue? Combination? Looks really good! I need something like that and was thinking about getting a road ready one, but if I could build one for cheap, that'd be awesome.

Thanks guys!

I used both glue and screws. I figured if I just used glue, it would let loose after a while, and if I just used screws, they would end up stripping out after a while, so I doubled up just as extra assurance. I just ripped the wood down to the sizes I wanted, and cut some solid 3/4 x 3/4 pieces for each corner, glued them in, and put screws in from the top and sides. It's reletively easy to build, if you have some basic math skills, and can use a tape measure, a saw, and a drill. I ended up running out of carpet, so I couldn't cover the entire inside like I had originally planned, but that's always somthing that can be done later.

For reference if anyone wants to build one:

I used 1/2" plywood for the bottom. Everything else is 3/8"

Top and bottom pieces: 27" x 12"

Shelf piece: 27" x 10" - This will give some clearance for the vent on top of the amp. Or you could make it 12" wide, and cut out the part over the vent if you want.

Sides: 19 3/4" - This will give you enough room for the head, 4 rack spaces (1.75" x 4 = 7) and allows for 1/4" clearance on top and bottom of the rack. 1/8" after carpet

Rack sides: 7 1/2" x 10

Top corner bracing: 3/4" x 3/4"

Bottom and shelf bracing: 3/4"w x 1/2"h - This will give you some clearance for the head.

Height of shelf - 11" from inside of bottom

TIPS: When you put in the pieces for the rack, be sure to take into consideration the thickness of the carpet. I made this mistake and the rack fits a little tighter than expected. Also, drill holes for the screws before you put them in. That way you won't split the wood. Just make sure to use a drill bit smaller than the screw shank so they still bite into the wood.

Latest posts

Back