Built a 6x12 for my RK

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.R.B.

Reaction score
Almost done!!! Just waiting on the grill cloth.
The tolex is bubbling in some spots because the wood soaked up the glue. It's the first cab that I've built so I'm not too pissed about it. :evil:
The top 2 speakers are Eminence Wizards and the bottom 4 are P 50 E's.The top 2 are separate from the bottom 4 so I can use the cabinet switching on my RK. The top 2 open back speakers really help add clairity and take away from the over powering bass of RK. It's similar to a edge/mid boost
Sounds like a million bucks.

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN1082.jpg

DSCN1087.jpg

That looks great! I built this one:

complete_front.JPG

complete_back.JPG

front_routed_with_baffle.JPG

My RK2 should be here soon and I'm planning on selling my Mesa cab and just using this one. I'm also going to pull the tolex and do it over. Where did you get the corners? What kind of tutorials or info for applying tolex do you have (if any)?

Also, where did you get that tolex? What kind is it?

Once again, great job.

Dave

CudBucket said:
That looks great! I built this one:

complete_front.JPG

complete_back.JPG

front_routed_with_baffle.JPG

My RK2 should be here soon and I'm planning on selling my Mesa cab and just using this one. I'm also going to pull the tolex and do it over. Where did you get the corners? What kind of tutorials or info for applying tolex do you have (if any)?

Also, where did you get that tolex? What kind is it?

Once again, great job.

Dave
Hey Dave, the corners came off a VHT cab. I have a set of leather corners to match the RK but they will only fit a 3/4 radius. I know it's hard to find good hardware but I've discovered that if you see something you like on a Mesa, Randall, Marshall or peavy amp/cab you can usually call the company and get replacement parts. jam4audio is probably my favorite spot to get all the small hardware like T-nuts, feet, castors, screws, jack plates and whatever else.
About applying tolex, cutting it was no problem but getting it to stick was hell. The first week it was perfect and then the bubbles started to show. I wish I had some help/advise but I searched forever and didn't find anything useful. The tolex I used appeared to be authentic mesa tolex but when I recieved it and unrolled it, I noticed it was probably discounted to the ebay store I bought it from because there was a repeating flaw. No big deal to me but I'm sure mesa wouldn't use it.

BTW I was wondering if you used a jig to cut your joints in. I had to cut mine in by hand. It didn't take me more than an hour but I prefer to do things the right way and your joints look perfect.

Also, if you have any tips on how to apply tolex I'm all ears. I don't want to mess up the next project!

JRB, thanks for the info!

I did use a jig that I built from plans in a woodworking mag. I've used it before to build a toy box for my son and it works great. For the tolex I mixed yellow glue and water. Then rolled it onto the cab and tolex backing. When it was completely dry, I used thick brown wrapping paper as a barrier and an iron to activate the glue. I melted the tolex in one place. The problem with this approach is that it's hard to get the corners to stay down. It's completely non toxic though and doesn't smell. I'm going to order the Mesa tolex and use contact cement. It's warm now so I can do it outside.

BTW, what is jam4audio? I don't see a site or anything.

You can see my projects on www.dafguitars.com

that looks quite nice. Both cabs.
I have also a homebuilt 2x12, pictures must be floationg somehere around this board.

@JRB, how are you going to mount the grill cloth and wasn't it expensive (and useless) to tolex the baffle when you are using grill cloth. I just painted it black.

about the tolex, I am using Bison tix, I dont know if iets avaible in america, but it here in western europe. It is just your normal household repair glue but in gel form. Apply on both sides !, let it dry and then tolex your cab, like you would do with wallpaper. Remember wet tolex will stretch. I always glue the tolex and then at the last moment I cut the corners.

J.R.B. said:
Almost done!!! Just waiting on the grill cloth.
The tolex is bubbling in some spots because the wood soaked up the glue. It's the first cab that I've built so I'm not too pissed about it. :evil:
The top 2 speakers are Eminence Wizards and the bottom 4 are P 50 E's.The top 2 are separate from the bottom 4 so I can use the cabinet switching on my RK. The top 2 open back speakers really help add clairity and take away from the over powering bass of RK. It's similar to a edge/mid boost
Sounds like a million bucks.

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN1082.jpg

DSCN1087.jpg

lol,dont forget you ear plugs :lol:

CudBucket said:
JRB, thanks for the info!

I did use a jig that I built from plans in a woodworking mag. I've used it before to build a toy box for my son and it works great. For the tolex I mixed yellow glue and water. Then rolled it onto the cab and tolex backing. When it was completely dry, I used thick brown wrapping paper as a barrier and an iron to activate the glue. I melted the tolex in one place. The problem with this approach is that it's hard to get the corners to stay down. It's completely non toxic though and doesn't smell. I'm going to order the Mesa tolex and use contact cement. It's warm now so I can do it outside.

BTW, what is jam4audio? I don't see a site or anything.

You can see my projects on www.dafguitars.com
It's an ebay store name.

been waiting for the final results ...glad you got it this close to being finished. Can you imagin what Boogie would charge for this cab...or anyone else for that matter.
Looks great...a job well done.
By the way,good choice on front loading the speakers. I know my 4x12 Fat Bottom being front loaded is MORE tighter and as much bottom end as a Recto oversized 4x12( I owned one).
By the way,anyone close to NWPA that can do cab reworking. I need a 80's metal grill Mesa 4x12 cab recovered and a one pice back made for it.
Congrats !
~ John ~

PRS1999, just curious why you think front loading speakers affect the bottom end?

What I have come across is the Recto's sounded very flubby,not as tite as a front loaded cab(with the right combo of building techniques and speakers). I said.."as much" bottom end as a Recto,,and tighter,less flubby.
I have a Recto 2x12, the 80's 4x12 Boogie,and the VHT FB.
The 80's cab,front loaded,smaller in size than a Marshall 4x12,lacks bottom end,but shine's in punch and clarity.
Guess I should have put in the "IMHO" on top of the '"front loaded" comment.
I have picked the brains of some of the better cab builders(Kress,Mojo,Mojave),and they'll all say.."rear mounted" in there Marshall style cabs.
I knew that I was going to open up the can of worms on speaker placement issues. Nothing wrong at all with rear mounted,just with a cab that size(6x12,,,what a monster ) I felt his choice of front loading was a good move.

CudBucket said:
PRS1999, just curious why you think front loading speakers affect the bottom end?
If you go to the www.vhtusers.com site and do a search on front mounting speakers there are several pages with many reasons certain speakers preform better mounted from the front.
And thanks for all the compliments guys!!!

prs1999 said:
What I have come across is the Recto's sounded very flubby,not as tite as a front loaded cab(with the right combo of building techniques and speakers). I said.."as much" bottom end as a Recto,,and tighter,less flubby.
I have a Recto 2x12, the 80's 4x12 Boogie,and the VHT FB.
The 80's cab,front loaded,smaller in size than a Marshall 4x12,lacks bottom end,but shine's in punch and clarity.
Guess I should have put in the "IMHO" on top of the '"front loaded" comment.
I have picked the brains of some of the better cab builders(Kress,Mojo,Mojave),and they'll all say.."rear mounted" in there Marshall style cabs.
I knew that I was going to open up the can of worms on speaker placement issues. Nothing wrong at all with rear mounted,just with a cab that size(6x12,,,what a monster ) I felt his choice of front loading was a good move.

Thanks. I was just curious.

your welcome CudBucket,
Now,just tell me your within close driving distance from me and I'll bring the beer while you re-crown my frets for me !
* grin*
~ John ~

Back