Breaking In Speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fret_whiz

Reaction score
I've got the ultimate rookie question, so please don't laugh (too much). I have a Dual Recto and oversized 4x12 cab that doesn't sound good @ high volume. The sound becomes muffled and not as distinct as it is at lower volumes. It is 2 mths old and I was told I need to "break the speakers in". Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am scared to death I'm going to ruin it by turning it up too much, and I have know idea what this amp is capable of volumewise.

The cab has power handling of 280 W, so it should be safe. Don't use too much bass and it will be OK.

This is from the Celestion website:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I break in my speakers?

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

so I also broke in my new speakers and my old speaker as described in one of the posts above me..

Now, I thought that my old speaker was played in right now over more than a year now, perhaps almost two years, but somehow it sounds better now =)
Perhaps its just psychological, a kind of placebo effect, perhaps due to the fact I haven't played for days, but everything sounds more richer with harmonics than before, a lot thicker, the pushed channel also seems more warmer than before and the reverb is more present in my rectoverb...

perhaps I crank it up again in one of these days because I can't play that long with that ridiculous volume up here, to see what the results will be then. =)

I'ld post more advice but these cats said it all LOL. I 'ld love to get an oversized cab and load it with the new EVM12L's ...I know they stopped making them for standard production purposes but they reintroduced it with Zakk Wyld's name or band's name on them. I can't say I like the price of them (Ev's) though. But for the speaker you're getting it seems to be worth it i guess. 300watts each that'ld be a 1200watt rms cab. All the volume and bass you could ever want it'll give you, especially in a mesa cab. there's not much finer things in this world of guitar gear.

Wolfgang, according to the "giveaway" contest on their webpage, one is going to cost around 400 USD :shock:

Jaroslav said:
Wolfgang, according to the "giveaway" contest on their webpage, one is going to cost around 400 USD :shock:
What webpage? I've been all over the EV website and can't find anything at all about the EVM 12L's new or old.

www.usspeaker.com has the eminence DeltaPro 12A (a really good EVM clone) for 129! There is also an EV DX12L that looks pretty interesting for 189. Sure the new "black label" EV has improved power handling but so what? IMO not worth the cash ( www.samash.com has 'em for 259)

Here are two links:

http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=47

http://evm12lblacklabel.com/

****... A 4X12 cab, especially a Mesa loaded with EV 12L's would take 2 guys to carry somewhere.

I had a 2X12 combo with 12L's and it was about 90+ lbs. IIRC.

Yeh they're too exspensive for sure...you better off with eminence DeltaPro 12A if that's what you like, I do. Any cab loaded with ev's, usually it's a good idea to move with a dolly and pick up with another persons help. I have a Mesa 410 Road Ready bass cab from the mid 90's and it's a heavy one so I know all about cabs that are extremely heavy LOL.

wolfgang6505 said:
Yeh they're too exspensive for sure...you better off with eminence DeltaPro 12A if that's what you like, I do.
NO WAY!! There's not a snowball's chance in hell that your better off with Eminence over EVM's. Just because the Delta Pro 12A can handle high power does not put it in the same class with an EVM 12L, not even close. Do yourself a favor, save your money until you have enough for the real thing instead of settling for an also ran, second rate speaker like Eminence.

Back