Brand New To Mark V (And To Electric Guitar Amps In General)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiderWeb

Reaction score
I just purchased a Mesa Mark V 1x12 Combo; it was delivered yesterday afternoon. I have ventured into the world of electric guitars from the acoustic world just recently so I'm a newbie with all of this. I haven't owned an electric guitar amp since my Peavey Pacer back in the early eighties. I'm having some trouble with the initial set-up of the Mark V. I am in the process of reading the owner's manual. (which seems to skip some very basic stuff...) I guess I would say that I seem to be having trouble with volume. The "gain" knobs, the "master" knobs, the "output" and "solo" knobs have me confused with regard to regulating the sound and tone. The footswitch and the "hard bypass" switch in the back are adding to the confusion. I am getting sound but not the earsplitting volumes that I expected. I don't really want earsplitting volumes, I just want to make sure that everything is working. What I really want at the moment is some good distortion ("breakup" (?)) at low practice volumes. That's what I would like to be able to do. Please excuse my ignorance. I have been lurking around here for months and it is clear to me that you guys are on a whole different level than I am with the issues that I'm dealing with. I just thought it might be worthwhile to ask for a little help. Thanks!

The amp is basically two separate parts with a part bridging the two pieces.

The first part is the preamp. It's purpose is to take the instrument level sent from your guitar's pickups and boost it up to line level.

The second part is the power amp. It's purpose is to take the line level signal sent from the preamp and boost it up to speaker level.

The part that bridges the two is the effects loop. It's purpose is to act as an insert point for effects. I won't bore you on the details of it for now... lets focus on getting a good tone without effects to start with.

With regard to your questions about the gain and master knobs... the gain knob is part of the preamp and controls how much gain is applied to your guitar's instrument level signal. Increasing gain makes the signal's volume increase until it hits the upper limits of the preamp's ability to handle the signal, at which time it starts to overdrive later components and starts to create distortion. This distorted signal is extremely loud, so they inserted a channel master at the end of the preamp to limit the volume going into the effects loop and onto the power amp.

If your loop is in bypass, this is it. Your preamp is now connected directly to the power amp and the the channel master controls the overall volume of the amp when your amp is on that channel. The remainder of the knobs (master output, solo, FX loop send, etc) do nothing as they're bypassed along with the effects loop.

If your loop is active then the signal is sent from the channel master to the input of the effects loop, which is then fed to the input of whatever effect(s) you choose to run in the effects loop, which is returned to the remainder of the effects loop circuit, which includes the master output and solo knobs. From the master output/solo knobs the signal is sent to the power amp.

The idea behind the master output is that it controls the overall volume of all three channels. That way you don't have to turn and adjust all three volume knobs every time you want to slightly increase or decrease the volume of the amp.

The idea behind the solo knob is that it that it's a secondary master that's capable of boosting the volume of the amp to help it stand out of the mix more during a solo.

Hopefully that isn't too confusing.

And if this helps, here's my settings. I'm going for more of a dark/thick rock tone... not sure if it'll work for you, but it'll give you something to play with for a bit.

On the front
Channel 1 - Fat, EQ off, 45w, bold off
Channel 2 - Crunch, EQ off, 45w
Channel 3 - Mark IV, EQ On (sliders), 45w, bright off

On the rear
Channel 1 - Tube Rectifier, reverb at 10:00
Channel 2 - Tube Rectifier, reverb at 8:30
Channel 3 - Triode, reverb at 8:45
Loop set to active
Loop send set to 12:00

file.jpg

screamingdaisy said:
The amp is basically two separate parts with a part bridging the two pieces.

The first part is the preamp. It's purpose is to take the instrument level sent from your guitar's pickups and boost it up to line level.

The second part is the power amp. It's purpose is to take the line level signal sent from the preamp and boost it up to speaker level.

The part that bridges the two is the effects loop. It's purpose is to act as an insert point for effects. I won't bore you on the details of it for now... lets focus on getting a good tone without effects to start with.

With regard to your questions about the gain and master knobs... the gain knob is part of the preamp and controls how much gain is applied to your guitar's instrument level signal. Increasing gain makes the signal's volume increase until it hits the upper limits of the preamp's ability to handle the signal, at which time it starts to overdrive later components and starts to create distortion. This distorted signal is extremely loud, so they inserted a channel master at the end of the preamp to limit the volume going into the effects loop and onto the power amp.

If your loop is in bypass, this is it. Your preamp is now connected directly to the power amp and the the channel master controls the overall volume of the amp when your amp is on that channel. The remainder of the knobs (master output, solo, FX loop send, etc) do nothing as they're bypassed along with the effects loop.

If your loop is active then the signal is sent from the channel master to the input of the effects loop, which is then fed to the input of whatever effect(s) you choose to run in the effects loop, which is returned to the remainder of the effects loop circuit, which includes the master output and solo knobs. From the master output/solo knobs the signal is sent to the power amp.

The idea behind the master output is that it controls the overall volume of all three channels. That way you don't have to turn and adjust all three volume knobs every time you want to slightly increase or decrease the volume of the amp.

The idea behind the solo knob is that it that it's a secondary master that's capable of boosting the volume of the amp to help it stand out of the mix more during a solo.

Hopefully that isn't too confusing.

SD, not too confusing at all. In fact you explain the "architecture" much more clearly than the owners manual. Your description definitely clarifies how the various "volume controls" relate to each other. I have no effects at the moment, so should I engage the hard bypass? Can you explain how the footswitch works like you explained the above? Lastly, could you suggest settings to get a decent "distorted" sound at a fairly low volume? I know that I'm filled with questions and I don't want to take too much of your time. I appreciate the information that you have provided already...thanks

screamingdaisy said:
And if this helps, here's my settings. I'm going for more of a dark/thick rock tone... not sure if it'll work for you, but it'll give you something to play with for a bit.

On the front
Channel 1 - Fat, EQ off, 45w, bold off
Channel 2 - Crunch, EQ off, 45w
Channel 3 - Mark IV, EQ On (sliders), 45w, bright off

On the rear
Channel 1 - Tube Rectifier, reverb at 10:00
Channel 2 - Tube Rectifier, reverb at 8:30
Channel 3 - Triode, reverb at 8:45
Loop set to active
Loop send set to 12:00

You posted this before I had a chance to ask...thank you very much...I'll give it a try...tried it, definitely not having any volume issues now..thanks

The Mark V comes with a stock "C90" speaker according to their website. Is a "C90" the same thing as a "Black Shadow" (which is what the speaker inside my amp says on it...)

SpiderWeb said:
The Mark V comes with a stock "C90" speaker according to their website. Is a "C90" the same thing as a "Black Shadow" (which is what the speaker inside my amp says on it...)
Yes, that's correct.

Also, FYI, if you turn on the hard bypass, the "Output" and "Solo" knobs are disabled meaning you'll have to adjust the volume via "Master" only per each channel. If you're going for low volume I wouldn't do this however as it'll sound a lot better to crank the "Master" a bit (10-12:00) and turn the "Output" down.

SpiderWeb said:
SD, not too confusing at all. In fact you explain the "architecture" much more clearly than the owners manual. Your description definitely clarifies how the various "volume controls" relate to each other. I have no effects at the moment, so should I engage the hard bypass? Can you explain how the footswitch works like you explained the above? Lastly, could you suggest settings to get a decent "distorted" sound at a fairly low volume? I know that I'm filled with questions and I don't want to take too much of your time. I appreciate the information that you have provided already...thanks

I'd leave the FX loop active. I find that in general it's easier to lower the volume down to low volumes using the master output than it is using the individual channel masters.

For low volume playing I usually leave it in 45w and switch the power switch down to "Variac Power". What this does is drop the internal voltage from 120v down to about 90v, which induces a bit more sag into the signal and bleeds off a bit of top end.

The footswitch is fairly straight forward. It allows you to cycle the 3 channels and access a few options on the fly. As an example, I have a delay in my FX loop. I typically set the delay on top of the amp with a couple of short cables connecting it and use the amp's footswitch to turn my delay on/off. It saves me from having to run a couple of 15 foot cables every time I setup/teardown my amp.

I also set my tuner on top of my amp and connect it to the tuner out on the back of the amp. The Mute button on the footswitch mutes the output going to the power amp but still sends a signal to the tuner. It makes it simple to do silent tuning.

Reverb on/off and EQ on/off are fairly straight forward.

The Solo button engages the secondary Solo volume knob, which you can set to give you a volume boost so that you stand out in a stage mix.

SpiderWeb said:
I just purchased a Mesa Mark V 1x12 Combo; it was delivered yesterday afternoon. I have ventured into the world of electric guitars from the acoustic world just recently so I'm a newbie with all of this. I haven't owned an electric guitar amp since my Peavey Pacer back in the early eighties. I'm having some trouble with the initial set-up of the Mark V. I am in the process of reading the owner's manual. (which seems to skip some very basic stuff...) I guess I would say that I seem to be having trouble with volume. The "gain" knobs, the "master" knobs, the "output" and "solo" knobs have me confused with regard to regulating the sound and tone. The footswitch and the "hard bypass" switch in the back are adding to the confusion. I am getting sound but not the earsplitting volumes that I expected. I don't really want earsplitting volumes, I just want to make sure that everything is working. What I really want at the moment is some good distortion ("breakup" (?)) at low practice volumes. That's what I would like to be able to do. Please excuse my ignorance. I have been lurking around here for months and it is clear to me that you guys are on a whole different level than I am with the issues that I'm dealing with. I just thought it might be worthwhile to ask for a little help. Thanks!

You chose a beast of an amp as your first amp. The Mark V seems very daunting at first, but it's actually very simple. Some of this has already been said, but here's how I look at amps

Because your Mark V is a combo, you actually have three pieces of gear all in one box:
1) Preamp
2) Power amp
3) Speaker cabinet

Some people use rack gear which separates those three parts. When you see people referring to a Triaxis, Studio Pre, etc. they are referring to different preamps. When people talk about a 2:90, 20:20, etc. they are talking about power amps. Finally, Mesa makes a bunch of different cabinets for different sonic and aesthetic flavors.

The simplest way I can describe the three parts is that the preamp takes your guitar signal and imparts a certain tone on it, the power amp makes that tone loud enough to be heard, and the speaker points the sound in a particular direction. Yes, that's a very simplistic explanation, but it's really all you need to know. Also, as screamingdaisy said, the effects loop comes in between the preamp and power amp. Time-based effects (chorus, flanger, reverb, delay, etc) sound better after distortion, so most people elect to use an effects loop for those.

Your Mark V has multiple gain stages. A gain stage will add volume, and as was stated earlier, at a certain point that volume will overdrive the tubes, and we hear that as distortion. Starting in order of gain stages that you have control over:

1) The first gain stage is the Gain control on each channel. This basically determines not just how loud, but how clean or dirty the channel is.

2) Something that should be noted is that the Treble knob is very powerful, and as you turn it clockwise will also add some perceived gain.

3) The second true gain stage is the Master control on each channel. This determines the volume of the channel. If the effects loop is bypassed, this is the end. However, you have much more control over the amplifier with the effects loop activated.

4) With the loop active, your third gain stage is the effects loop send knob. Many people have thought they had a bad tube, when it was just that their effects send was turned down. Because it's on the back of the amp, it's easily forgotten. The ideal setting for this is between 12:00 and 1:00.

5) The fourth gain stage is the Output knob. This determines the overall volume of the amplifier. This way you can find an optimal balance for all 3 channels and then just leave those controls set as they are. It's a real hassle to have to adjust all 3 channels individually when you need to adjust your volume.

6) The final (optional) gain stage is the Solo knob. This is sometimes called a Boost control on other amps. Basically, it just boosts the total volume above and beyond what the Output knob is set to. If the Solo knob is fully counter-clockwise, when you press Solo on the footswitch, nothing will happen. The more you turn it clockwise, the more of a boost you will get. An important note is that the Solo knob does not have to be set higher than the Output knob, as that would give you a ridiculously loud volume, and really wouldn't be usable for practical purposes.

With all that said, you have 3 channels full of knobs and switches. The best thing to do is just pretend that you have 3 totally independent amplifiers in one box. When you think of it that way, it's actually really easy.

I know most of this has already been said, but when you're new to this stuff, it's better to have too much good information than not enough. :) Welcome to the board, man!

I personally thought the manual covered all of that. You might have missed a couple of points, which is understandable given the fact that there are a lot of pages in the manual and also this being your first electric guitar amp. That's ok. Just take your time reading the manual, and I'm sure in conjunction with the advices given already, you shall be fine...

Yes, much of what was said above is covered in the manual as I have continued to read it. The manual is a bit intimidating, and I don't want to appear lazy, but I needed some quick start advice. The responses above definitely put the relevant information in a more straightforward, understandable, practical manner than the manual. I thank everyone for taking the time to help me. I guess that this is a beast for my first electric guitar amp. It's just that I know how it goes with me. If I would have gotten more of a "starter amp," I would just be selling it after I discovered its limitations. I didn't want to have to deal with all of that anytime soon. I did a great deal of research before this purchase and I'm confident that I made the correct choice. I know that it's a completely different animal, but I'm already thinking that in maybe two years I might be looking at a Swart amp. Very impressive amps...thanks again...

SpiderWeb said:
Yes, much of what was said above is covered in the manual as I have continued to read it. The manual is a bit intimidating, and I don't want to appear lazy, but I needed some quick start advice. The responses above definitely put the relevant information in a more straightforward, understandable, practical manner than the manual. I thank everyone for taking the time to help me. I guess that this is a beast for my first electric guitar amp. It's just that I know how it goes with me. If I would have gotten more of a "starter amp," I would just be selling it after I discovered its limitations. I didn't want to have to deal with all of that anytime soon. I did a great deal of research before this purchase and I'm confident that I made the correct choice. I know that it's a completely different animal, but I'm already thinking that in maybe two years I might be looking at a Swart amp. Very impressive amps...thanks again...
I completely agree and it is definitely intimidating (I'm still learning mine and it's my 5th or 6th tube amp). When I got mine I got a few pages into the manual, gave up, looked up Petrucci's settings, then started tweaking and went back to the manual later to learn how it actually worked. Also, Haggerty's Mark V demo on youtube (8 parts I think) helped as well. Put some time into learning it and you'll be happy you did :). I almost gave up on mine but got some really good advice from the guys on this forum and now am very glad I didn't sell it.

ifailedshapes said:
You chose a beast of an amp as your first amp. The Mark V seems very daunting at first, but it's actually very simple. Some of this has already been said, but here's how I look at amps...The best thing to do is just pretend that you have 3 totally independent amplifiers in one box. When you think of it that way, it's actually really easy...I know most of this has already been said, but when you're new to this stuff, it's better to have too much good information than not enough. :) Welcome to the board, man!

IFS - I read your post three times. I appreciate the simplified but very detailed explanation of the various gain stages. No explanation like that in the owners manual! I appreciate the information and the welcome...between you and ScreamingDaisy I have a much better idea of how this thing works. I'm going to be checking out the tone settings sticky and experiment a little...

EvilEmuOfDoom said:
I completely agree and it is definitely intimidating (I'm still learning mine and it's my 5th or 6th tube amp). When I got mine I got a few pages into the manual, gave up, looked up Petrucci's settings, then started tweaking and went back to the manual later to learn how it actually worked. Also, Haggerty's Mark V demo on youtube (8 parts I think) helped as well. Put some time into learning it and you'll be happy you did :). I almost gave up on mine but got some really good advice from the guys on this forum and now am very glad I didn't sell it.

I checked out all eight parts of the Haggerty videos before I bought the amp. I'm going to watch them again now that I have the amp in front of me. I also got a lot of help and advice from Andy at Humbucker Music where I bought the amp. I started reading posts here in April to get an idea as to whether people who had bought the Mark V were happy with it. It was easy to see that this board would be a valuable resource for Mark V owners, especially a newbie to tube amps like me. During the months of research that I did before I bought the Mesa I discovered that there are a lot of Mesa haters out there. I can't figure that out...oh well.

Is there any way to get a Neil Young tone at low volume without a pedal on the Mark V. I can't find it in the "Tone Settings" sticky or on the amp...

Latest posts

Back