Boutique vs. Boss

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosajwp

Reaction score
So far, my experiences with boutique pedals has been good, but when it comes down to it, there isn't much difference that I can hear between the high-dollar stuff and their Boss counterparts (especially modded-Boss where needed).

For sound quality, durability, and versatility, do you prefer Boss pedals or boutique (I know this is a pretty broad subject, but I'd be interested to know everyone's preferences).

I like true bypass.. so I tend to use boutique for that reason but I have quite a few boss and 'name brand' pedals in my lineup. I would say that the tone is typically better in boutique but not always, there are jems everywhere in commercial products.

I also don't like the 'tone suck' characteristics of pedals like that.

I use pedals sparingly, and own three Boss pedals, and one boutique pedal. Boss puts a lot of value in its products overall, but recently I bought a boutique fuzz pedal...and made sure it was under my $150 budget. I ended up with a wonderful/extremely quiet Home Brew UFO fuzz/octave pedal.

For as long as I have been playing electric guitar, $150 in today's money is not even worth half the money it was in the late 1970's...and many of the mass produced pedals of those days costed more "real" money in comparison. This is how I justified buying a boutique pedall in my twisted mind! :D

I guess the best thing to do, is try as many as you can! I do agree with the opinion above, that true bypass is one of the best best things about most boutique pedals.

+1 to true bypass and with trying pedals out. Play as many as you can before buying them, and with return policies keep in mind if you buy pedals on a whim you can send them back usually if bought new, so not all is lost.

In my case, I'm not that much of an effects junkie. I like to use them on occasion, but not at the risk of muddling with my sound. I much prefer to run my guitar directly into the amp. But for the rare times that I do bring my effects to a gig, I have a looper that will bypass my effects altogether when I don't want them on.

Having said that, I'm considering delays right now, and I'm not sure if I want to use a dedicated delay, or a rack mounted multi unit ($250 is still just a bit much for someone who uses effects as little as I do). I'm considering the Line6 DL4. It seems that most of what Boss makes in the way of delays is just about right up there in price with the likes of the Line6.

You should get an EH Deluxe Memory Man while you can Redmax.. they're almost out of the chips they use and the DL4 has TONS of reliability issues...

Worth a shot, one of the best analog delays for the money .

In my TriAxis rig I use a GC-Pro/GCX setup so all my efx are true bypass whether or not they have it built in. Having said that, out of the eight efx units I use four are Boss, one being Keeley modded. The Boss pedals I use are the DD-5 delay, CH-1 chorus, BF-2 flanger, and TR-2 Tremolo (Keeley modded). I like them because they're **** near bulletproof and at least the one's I'm using sound just fine to me. The one exception was the TR-2 which I was not at all happy with until the Keeley mods and now it's great.

Platypus said:
You should get an EH Deluxe Memory Man while you can Redmax.. they're almost out of the chips they use and the DL4 has TONS of reliability issues...

Worth a shot, one of the best analog delays for the money .

Funny you should mention that. I had a whole battery of EH effects back in the day. I had a Big Muff, an Electric Mistress and a Memory Man. I forget how I parted with them - it was a REALLY long time ago!

I'm actually considering something that isn't just a one trick pony. I'd like to at least have a couple of delay times available. One of the guitar players at my church just picked up the new Boss (DD-20, I believe) and it was awesome! I just have to make sure that I want to spend that kind of money that I don't have . . .

I kind of like the standard pedals. You don't have to special order them or find someone that carries one should yours go down. It is much easier to quickly replace your pedal should you need to if you just use the standard pedals. Also, sometimes it is difficult to really hear the difference that a mod makes because sometimes it is very subtle.

To be honest, the biggest plus about having a modded pedal is true bypass. If you look though you might just go with another manufacturer's standard pedal if you want true bypass as some manufacturers are beginning to incorporate this into their designs. Or as t0aj15 has configured his system, build and configure your system such that all of your pedals are true bypass whether they are or not.

Redmax...I recently acquired a TC Electronics M-300.....great little mulit-effects processor, and for the money, it can not be beat....

MANY MANY different delays, along with multiple reverbs, chorus, phaser, flanger, tremelo!

All of them sound great, and at $199 new (they go pretty cheap used, I got mine for $50 off a friend!), it is a steal! I would check it out!

For me it's boutique for overdrive and distortion. Boss for filters, modulation, and delay.

redmax61 said:
In my case, I'm not that much of an effects junkie. I like to use them on occasion, but not at the risk of muddling with my sound. I much prefer to run my guitar directly into the amp. But for the rare times that I do bring my effects to a gig, I have a looper that will bypass my effects altogether when I don't want them on.

Having said that, I'm considering delays right now, and I'm not sure if I want to use a dedicated delay, or a rack mounted multi unit ($250 is still just a bit much for someone who uses effects as little as I do). I'm considering the Line6 DL4. It seems that most of what Boss makes in the way of delays is just about right up there in price with the likes of the Line6.
If you are considering delays you need to spend the $150 on the delay that Chad at cmatmods.com makes. It is a one trick pony (up to 500 ms.) but it is true bypass (a must) and absolutely NOISE FREE! I run it thru my Tremoverb effects loop and cranked on the clean channel there is zero noise. The best $150 ever spent on an effect. If you need multiple settings the line 6 is a nice pedal but I use delay to fatten up my cleans a bit along with a toadworks compressor. Just my 2 cents.

redmax61 said:
I'm actually considering something that isn't just a one trick pony. I'd like to at least have a couple of delay times available. One of the guitar players at my church just picked up the new Boss (DD-20, I believe) and it was awesome! I just have to make sure that I want to spend that kind of money that I don't have . . .

Unless you're looping get the Boss. The multi switch setup on the DL4 gives better access to it's looping features, but the DD-20 is a better delay overall....and unlike the DL4, the Boss unit will outlive your grandchildren.

I have got a selection of Boss, Budha, Ibanez, Tonebone, T.Rex, MXR & ZVex pedals. In my opinion Boss stands up well in sound and build quality.
We can get carried away with the notion of exotic weird sounding pedals and end up paying 3 or 4 times the price. I use a Boss DD5 and NS2 which both do a great job. I think because Boss are the benchmark for a good solid pedal we can overlook them and the fact they do make some great pedals.

I like to mix it up. I have a bunch of Boss pedals and a variety of boutique pedals. I don't want or need true bypass in every pedal.

Thanks for the input, guys. Actually, I got an insane deal on a DL-4, so I decided to run with it. I've already played my first gig with it, and I'm extremely happy with it.

Latest posts

Back