Bougth a tremoverb, serial? and missing tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc52

Reaction score
Hey you all,

I have bought a Mesa Trem-o-Verb and I have a few questions about it.

1: I can't seem to find the serialnumber. Where do I find it? And will it tell me how old it is because I don't know it's age.

2: It plays very well, just the sound I was looking for but as I was looking for the serialnumber I noticed that the two 5U4G Rectifier tubes are missing, does that have an effect on the amp and should stop playing on it? (I have stopped to be sure)

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Tremoverb.pdf you can see where the tubes should be on page 19.

3: One of the 6L6 tubes feels lose but it is only the "glass" of the tube that feels lose. The socket of the tube sits in the amp tight. it's just the glass that feels lose. Should I change it?

Regards from Peter (who is from Denmark) :D

The serial number is on the underside of the chassis where the fuse holder is (on the combo, anyway - not sure about the head). The serial doesn't seem to indicate the date, unless newer ones do... mine doesn't. It has the date written in gold marker pen inside the chassis.

If the two rectifier tubes are missing, the amp will work in Solid-State Diode mode, but not in Tube Rectifier mode. No harm will come to it whichever setting it's in, but you won't get the best tone out of the amp without the rectifier tubes (in my opinion).

The loose 6L6 is probably fine. As long as the pins are tight in the socket it will work perfectly, and the only issue might be that it could rattle physically, which might be annoying at low volume or if you're trying to record it.

94Tremoverb said:
The serial number is on the underside of the chassis where the fuse holder is (on the combo, anyway - not sure about the head). The serial doesn't seem to indicate the date, unless newer ones do... mine doesn't. It has the date written in gold marker pen inside the chassis.

If the two rectifier tubes are missing, the amp will work in Solid-State Diode mode, but not in Tube Rectifier mode. No harm will come to it whichever setting it's in, but you won't get the best tone out of the amp without the rectifier tubes (in my opinion).

The loose 6L6 is probably fine. As long as the pins are tight in the socket it will work perfectly, and the only issue might be that it could rattle physically, which might be annoying at low volume or if you're trying to record it.

Hey '94Tramoverb'....my #1 amp is my 94 Tremoverb! (*hi-5*)

(*hi-5*)

My '94 Tremoverb is not just my #1, it's the sound (and sounds, since it can do so many) I had in my head my whole life before I got it, and the best amp I've ever owned or heard, period. I put off owning one for years because they're so heavy, but having finally got one I found it wasn't really that bad! I now regret all those years of merely adequate tone before...

For some reason it's also the best of the three I've played, although I can't take any credit for choosing it... I was just in the right place at the right time.

I'm sure there are people out there with date codes but I just called Mesa and gave them my serial # and they gave me an approximate build date. I miss my Tremoverb sometimes, but my new Electradyne is keeping me very happy until I can find another one.

Latest posts

Back