Boss sd-1 monty allums mod ????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiri

Reaction score
What say ye brothers in boogieland.

Is it worth it to buy an sd-1 with the monty allums mod over a stock pedal ? And what the hell is a monty allums mod ???

Monte Allums has a pretty nice website detailing his mods, kits, pedals, etc...

I don't know if they're any good, though.

Monty Allums does what many other stompbox modders do...improve the already great circuit with very high quality, low noise components resulting in, well, higher quality and less noise. :D The difference is that MA makes the kits for the end user to do the work. So remember, if the person installing the components is a hack and botches the job, the results will equally suck. That is, unless you find one of the very few that Monty built himself.

I'm a lover of Robert Keeley's stuff and can vouch for the amazing difference between a stock pedal, like the TS-9, and his mods. Highly recommended.

Sometimes you can take a look inside the pedal to see if the work was sloppy or not. That doesn't always indicate whether or not it will sound good, but if it's a mess, it's a good warning sign!

If you want an already modded pedal I also suggest Keeley Electronics :wink:

Better to get a used SD1 and mod it yourself. Allums does have authorized mod installers now, but I think they are overpriced.......butthat's because I know how to do the install myself in about an hour.

I had both Allums modded TS9DX and Analogman modded TS9DX side by side. Allums stuff is good, but the Analogman was noticeably better, at least for the sound I wanted from it.

The best price might be if you get used one and send it in for the mod, but Keeley only adds mods to certain pedals, and not others. I know you can send in a Sparkle Drive but I dont know if he accepts SD1's. I think you can send him a BD2 for modding, so I don't know why an SD1 wouldn't be ok. Should say on his web site. I'm waiting for my Sparkle Drive to come back.

It's all fine now. Got the pedal for half the asking price. It as two new swithches on it to activate something ???? But as it turnes out I like the pedal with the extra switches turned off. And use it like I use all od pedals. Gain off tone 50% volume 100%.

It's a nice pedal and does wonders for my amp. Not that it needs it tho, it's a MK IV :mrgreen:

Thanks for your replies

Geiri

Latest posts

Back