Booster for a DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiorgioV

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a proud and happy owner of a DC-5 combo.

The only thing that bugs me is that I have trouble finding a very nice booster to add a little grit and very little character to the lead channel.

I'm using a T-Rex Mudhoney right now, Overdrive mode, classically set for boosting: it works great at low volumes, but kinda disappear at gig levels.

What would you suggest? I was thinking maybe a fulltone Fat Boost 2, I like the way bass and treble are designed, I'm wondering if it matches the amp well.

I'm torn I like two different type Pedals.

One being the Timmy

The other being the OCD

The Timmy will push your rocket to the stars and the OCD will turn taters into cream. :lol:

Ibanez TS808.

These overdrive pedals tend to be noisy, so buy a $50 noise surpressor to go with it and you'll be fine.

I run the TS808 (as a friend showed me) at about 1-3 gain, 5 tone, and volume max. It will make your DC scream.

I think the Maxon TS-808 reissue is quieter. A friend of mine uses one with his, but he doesn't turn the gain past 7 or so.

These amps have way more gain than most people realize.

Try that same boost in the loop, WITH VERY LOW OUTPUT SETTINGS ON THE PEDAL. It might surprise you. If you turn the pedal volume up too high though, prepare for hearing damage.

A separate EQ pedal in the loop will sound incredible if the output of the pedal is not too high.

I use a Fat Boost in front of most of my amps, but it has very little effect on the distortion channel of my DC-10.

LEVEL4 said:
fishyfishfish said:
AC Booster or BB Pre Amp.
BBE only makes an "acoustic guitar" preamp. Is there another BBE preamp you're suggesting?
It's BB, not BBE. :wink:
http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/lineup.html

You could build one relatively easily too.

I built this one and changed the tone cap from a .005 mf (micro farad) and it rocks!

I built it into an old Rectifier footswitch that had stopped working.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=36&category_id=14&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

I think all the parts together cost me around $30. The switch was the most expensive part at $13 for a Fulltone switch, 3 pole 3 throw.

BB preamp is really good, and you can dial it down to a nearly clean boost. It can give a nice marshally grind on a clean channel and likes to be hit with a boost itself. Also for a cheap, clean boost, the Seymour Duncan "pickup booster" works well.

I've tried an old Ibanez 808, and it colors tone too much for my taste...

Lots of people suggested me to look for the Xotics...

Can you suggest me which would work best between RC AC and BB?

Maybe based on your experience, if at all possible..

Considering that it would work with an already very distorted channel, I'm not thinking about going from crunch to lead with this boost..

Latest posts

Back