Boost for Dual Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Some of you guys probably won't believe this...but I'm back to the Rectifier....my financial situation straightened up....grabbed an old 2 Channel Recto...small logo and attached power chord, and I'm really enjoying it. Much different than the 3 channels, and I love it. Don't know if it's so much 'better' as some people say...just different.

Don't worry...I'm still in the Stiletto club too ;)

So...I'd like to get a boost to goose the front end of the recto for a little more versatility...I love it's tone structure for most purposes, but for quicker metal, I'd like the response of the boosted circuit.

So, what are you guys using? I tried an MXR Wylde Overdrive at practice today, but it sounded a little to grainy to my ears....

Anyone try a fulltone OCD with the recto?

Thanks guys!

The BB Preamp from Xotic is the one to go with. I'm leaving my wife and family and running off to Mexico with that little orange box of sex.

Told you that you would be back to the recto! The Roadking Version 1's are just as good as the older 2 channels as well.

Anyway I use a TS9 and love it, just keep in mind it will cut a little of the low end out, which is not a bad thing in my opinion.

Anyway good you were able to keep the stiletto and get a recto.

Maxon OD808. I've tried just about everything coming and going, always go back to it with my Rectos. In fact, here's my 2 channel Recto board:

Like siggy said, it will cut some low end and give you a high pass filter type effect like the TS9, but that's part of the appeal IMO.

Go with the Fulltone OCD.

The beauty of the OCD is that it does not color your tone in the least (well, it can if you set it up to, the point is it doesnt have to).

With the OCD, yout tone stays completely intact, it just gets tighter as you turn the volume up (the fulltone volume).

It has three nobs, Volume, Distortion and Tone.

The distortion knob I keep off completely. In fact, I have tried it on the clean channel with the distortion up and it really doesn't sound that great to me. So I just keep it off. The nob could be gone for all I care.

I keep the tone pretty much at 12:00.

I put the volume at 3:00.

Even with these light settings, it really tightens things up.

I was floored the first time I plugged it in.

I tried some modeling pedals that modeled the tube screamer. Since it modeled it, it is not fair for me to judge the tube screamer on it.

But atleast with the modeler, the tube screamer sounded good, but it really colored the tone. It made the muted palm stuff tight, but the chords lost the Recto growl.

With the OCD, the amp sounds the same, just tigher.

You will love it!

Never tried the Maxon.

But again, with the OCD, your recto will continue to sound like a Recto!

If you want a Keeley modified TS808 let me know. I haven't used it in a while. I did find that it sucked some lows / juiced up the mids, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I tend to leave my overdrives on all the time and just use them to add a little teeth and not a lot of gain so it's just usable all the time.

http://www.fulltone.com/ocd.asp

Here's a link to their site. I have heard one before and they are very popular OD pedals.

I'm using a Tim boost from Paul Cochrane right now and I think it might be the end of my search. By itself, it's a very transparent light to medium overdrive suitable more for classic rock, blues, country. I like how it combines with the cleans on the Roadster when used like this, it's a nice alternative to Brit or Tweed. I think it's supposed to cop the Plexi sound according to Paul.

For the heavy stuff, I like to roll the bass and treble nearly all off with a little gain and a lot of volume for that mid-hump. It sounds less muddy than the TS808ri to me, which it replaced, and you can dial in more low end with the Tim's really nice EQ. I'm also experimenting with a Keeley Compressor in the loop of it, it smooths out the grainyness when the gain on the pedal is dialed up, but I'm not sure I like it over without yet. I'm not sure if it tightens up the sound as effective as a TS808, but it gives that same compressed feel. It's significantly less noisy, too.

It's a cool pedal, but the waiting list is about a year and is only sold through Paul himself. If you do some searching, you might find an overpriced one in a store that sells boutique pedals, and then try to haggle the price down a bit.

The OD808 is also a great pedal, I have both the TS9 and the OD808 and to me they both sound great, cant go wrong with either one.

Silverwulf said:
Maxon OD808. I've tried just about everything coming and going, always go back to it with my Rectos. In fact, here's my 2 channel Recto board:

Like siggy said, it will cut some low end and give you a high pass filter type effect like the TS9, but that's part of the appeal IMO.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Ash or GC but the nice thing is they have 30 day money back policies. Grab a couple, test it out in a home environment, and then return what you don't like.

Personally I didn't like the OCD v3. Sounded like a boss metal zone to me. The Zakk Wylde I tried on a Stiletto and didn't like it either. A buddy of mine had the following...TS-9, TS-9DX, and TS808 RI. I borrowed all three and got to A/B each of them. I settled on the TS808 when I had a 2ch. The TS9 was a close 2nd. Thought the 808 complimented and tightened the Dual up very nicely. I could get close to the 1st three Metallica albums tight with it.

YMMV, Good Luck

siggy14 said:
The OD808 is also a great pedal, I have both the TS9 and the OD808 and to me they both sound great, cant go wrong with either one.

+1. I used the TS9 for quite a while until I got the OD808, had no probs with it at all. If you could find either at a good price, you won't be disappointed.

One thing I don't like is the modded pedals though. The Analogman/Keeley and similar pedals are great overall as an OD pedal and for leads, but I don't like them for boosts on heavy rhythms. A lot of those mods or similar increase the low end, flatten out the mids, etc...and it defeats the whole purpose of why I liked pedals like the OD808/TS9 as a boost to start with.

Me too...

If only there weren't so many varying opinions on boosts :lol:

I need more kick....faster attack...with enough depth for a fat rhythm tone...

Which one's gonna do it?

Thanks!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Me too...

If only there weren't so many varying opinions on boosts :lol:

I need more kick....faster attack...with enough depth for a fat rhythm tone...

Which one's gonna do it?

Thanks!

Stop typing and just go buy an OD808/TS9... :lol: Just take your guitar and head down to GC and plug a bunch into it. I've done that before.

serious man, great thing about GC is there 30 day return policy, go buy the two pedals and A/B them and then keep the one you want and return the one you dont.

Latest posts

Back