Boomy Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoismetal

Reaction score
Hello all.

I just noticed my IV sounding bassier/ boomier. I rolled off the bass knob completely and even turned down the low frequency sliders, but the it still sounded flubby.
Could this be tubes going bad?

I play the amp through a traditional rectifier 4x12 cab. The amp didn't sound like this a couple of days ago.

Thanks!

I got a deal on some new Mesa 12AX7's and 6L6's to completely retube the amp.

Once retubed, all the boomy-ness, noise, and hum/hiss were gone!

Glad to hear the retube fixed it. I was going to say, something had to have been wrong! Marks are the least boomy and flubby sounding amps I can think of! Especially with a Stiletto/Traditional cab.

Yeah.

I was starting to get very worried. I'm not a very savvy when it comes to component based electronics. That's somehow worse IMO because I'm a computer technician lol.

I had something similar with my MKIIB, bur only after starting to crank the power tubes and run it through a THD hot plate, so I bought a full set of mesa tubes christ on a bike what difference, the old tube where I thought some top notch ones, svetlana long plate, but I figured the biasing was off with them, I think the previous owner read half of the statement "you do not need bias a boogie" as literal, instead of "so long as you use mesa tubes" sounds much better tighter lows and more focus hard to use words but yeah better.

Calos said:
I had something similar with my MKIIB, bur only after starting to crank the power tubes and run it through a THD hot plate, so I bought a full set of mesa tubes christ on a bike what difference, the old tube where I thought some top notch ones, svetlana long plate, but I figured the biasing was off with them, I think the previous owner read half of the statement "you do not need bias a boogie" as literal, instead of "so long as you use mesa tubes" sounds much better tighter lows and more focus hard to use words but yeah better.

I agree with you 100%. I've only tried JJ's and older Mesa 430 6L6's. However, after retubing the IV with new Mesa 440's and the difference is like night and day. Much better, tighter lows now. I'm pretty sure that new preamp tubes also helped.

Latest posts

Back