BOOMY drive tones with Roadster?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadKinger483

Reaction score
I'm trying out my friends 2x12 roadster combo as Im intersted in buying it. I noticed that CH.3 and 4 have a very boomy bass response compared to my DR. I was using CH.4 in modern mode and i had to turn the bass knob all the way down to zero and the boom is still there. SO, I thought maybe if i use my 2x12 Recto cab instead of the combo speakers it would tighten things up but, its the same thing!!!!! I went as far as to put the tube arrangement that i had in my DR into the roadster and the problem is still there. Do you guys know what this could be???? Also when I use the amp in spongy instead of bold the amp makes a HUMMING noise in all the channels. Would this be a tube problem????? Thanks

For the life of me I can't figure out the problem with this amp. I also searched around here a bit and i seemed to notice that a lot of the early Roadster owners have problems of some sort with their amps. Either way, my DR kicks the crap out of it. What i did is run my MXR 10band EQ in the FX loop of my DR to CH.1 only along with a EH Holy Grail and matched the clean sound on my DR with a clean tone on the Roadster; and I must say the results are VERY IMPRESIVE!!!!! The cleans i'm getting are so pristine and full bodied that they would make any LS or Roadster owner jealous!!!!!! :twisted:

RoadKinger483 said:
The cleans i'm getting are so pristine and full bodied that they would make any LS or Roadster owner jealous!!!!!! :twisted:

Hmm, I doubt it.

Boomy and Humming? Sounds like the power tubes might need to be replaced (but you did that). If the power tubes didn't fix it and a different cab doesn't do the trick. It could something wrong with the amp. The hum could be the preamp tubes kicking the bucket. If that still doesn't help the hum I would suspect electrical interference.

Combos seem to go through tubes a little faster because they are right next to the speakers.... best of luck.

i find my roadster the same...but only on high volumes...got the master on 12:00 and when i put the output above 10:00 it starts to get "boomy", "punchy" especially when i palm mute.

im worried that when i mic it up live that it sounds bad :shock:

could it be the speakers? i got shitty JJ labs speakers atm

It's just my opinion as far as the clean tones im getting. Don't get me wrong the LS tones are AMAZING but, from a technical stand point what the LS has over the DR tone is more headroom, a different mid structure (lower in my opinion) and an over all brighter presence and treble control without adding gain at higher levels like the DR does. As i tweaked all these parameters in my DR with the EQ I found myself ALMOST copying the LS clean tone. If I have time maybe i'll post some clips with various types of guitars and pup configurations to see what you guys think. The tone is not impossible to achieve, (i think)..... it's in there, you just need the right tools for the job.

i found the roadster combos to be boomy in general which is why i went with the roadster head... i believe it has everything to do with it being a combo..... what you may want to try is that combo with an extension cab..... the 2x12 combos closed or open back? if its open that can definitely be the issue which in my experience a very tight 2x12 closed back cab will solve... something like a vht fb or even my basson 2x12 would do the trick

The combo is a closed back with V30's. I tried the amp alone, with a recto 2x12 cab together and with the cab alone and it was the same tone all around. :? I've never had this kind of problem with any Mesa amp i've owned so this one is really stumping me......

perhaps try a non-mesa cab? a lame response i know, but i couldn't help but notice that you've only tried mesa stuff...not that there's anything inherently wrong with it. but if you don't like the results, there's plenty more cabs out there to try. i've got a homemade 2x12 cab with v30s, closed-back, and a lot bigger than my 2x12" roadster, and it gives a much different response on the low-end, as would be expected...

eventide_awakening said:
perhaps try a non-mesa cab? a lame response i know, but i couldn't help but notice that you've only tried mesa stuff...not that there's anything inherently wrong with it. but if you don't like the results, there's plenty more cabs out there to try. i've got a homemade 2x12 cab with v30s, closed-back, and a lot bigger than my 2x12" roadster, and it gives a much different response on the low-end, as would be expected...

i agree.... i find that the boominess can just sometimes be from your whole setup.... it may not just be the mesa but also the type of cabs you use and the guitar, right down to the cables.... for instance for what i play my buddy's les paul sounds like crap through my roadster, but sounds amazing through both his mark iv and his marshall dsl... conversely my esp sounds like crap through his marshall but great through my roadster.... ive noticed certain characteristics such as boominess prevelant in certain cabs like a genz gflex and my 4x12 halfback, yet through my basson 2x12 no boominess all used with my roadster.... i thought i was going to unload my basson once i got the halfback but now need it because it balances out the boominess of the halfback.... with that said since you want to minimize the boominess try a cab like a basson or vht.... the speakers in both cabs handle a lot of power and dont experience speaker distortion which adds some clarity to the mix and ive found balances out a boomy cab..... the jist is it may not be the roadster, but what its integrated with in your setup

Back