Boogie MKIIB Rev Eq 60/100W head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark2boogie

Reaction score
Hi All,

After my Boogie MKIIA Rev Eq 60/100W (I think that many of us had a look to that subject :mrgreen: ), here is my second one :
a Boogie MKIIB Rev Eq 60/100W Head, with the "Mesa factory Fx loop mod" done (I will search about that...). I was searching for a MKIIA or B chassis, so this discover is not bad at all...

954245DSCN3349.jpg

532744DSCN3351.jpg

I suppose that there will be some electronic work to do on it (not to say the same work) to make this MKIIB as wonderful as my MKIIA :twisted: .

Wait & See ! :mrgreen:

Nice find :mrgreen:
looks like a 110V version with the AC outlet. Or is it converted to a export transformer?

Wow tres jolie Alors le verdict ! le A ou le B ?

I think that it should be similar... C'est du pareil au même...

Nice find
looks like a 110V version with the AC outlet. Or is it converted to a export transformer?

It's an US 120VAC, so I will have to convert it for Europe 220-240VAC.

One thing makes me worry : the closeness of the power transformer and the rever unit... I suspect magnetic induction, which would make impossible to get rid of the hum, unless you do not use reverb, or make a taller head, or shift to a combo !

Any of you experienced that reverb-head drawback ?

A+!

Bonjour MkII2Boogie,
I have a MkIII head/rev, I get no hum from reverb, though usually have it around '3', and run deeper reverbs from the pedalboard..

Can't wait to see your forensic examination of your new baby..
Regs, David

mark2boogie said:
One thing makes me worry : the closeness of the power transformer and the rever unit... I suspect magnetic induction, which would make impossible to get rid of the hum, unless you do not use reverb, or make a taller head, or shift to a combo !

Any of you experienced that reverb-head drawback ?

A+!
My experience with ampheads and close reverb is: if the reverb hums, find out which of the reverb mini transformers ( the small trannies inside the reverb) is closer to the big transformer. if it's the reverb out coil (which is very sensitive, since the signal is quite small and gets amplified) rotate the reverb tank 180 degrees so the output mini transformer is far away as possible fro the PT.

Hi & thanks for your advice, McBarry +++,

Hi TiPiMods - Yes, it's the usual tip to try, and I will try it, indeed - I was akeen to think that logically the output transducer was the most sensitive to hum, but it's not not always true, surprisingly ! I notably remember reverting the reverb of a RIVERA head to say that... What I can say is that most of the head I saw are reverb-hummy (at least to my taste) like this PEAVEY Classic 30 head I had in hands a few days ago, and there is a reason why the SF Fender heads were taller than the non-reverb ones...

I would be happily surprised if that MKIIB head would make an exception !

A+!

benjamin801,

I think that the headshell is a recent one - maybe a MKIV, but the faceplate is certainly original, as the one on my MKIIA :

293321myMKIIAfaceplate.gif

Depending on the potential reverb hum problem resolution, I'll decide if I shift to an hardwood shell + cab...

A+!

mark2boogie said:
benjamin801,

I think that the headshell is a recent one - maybe a MKIV, but the faceplate is certainly original, as the one on my MKIIA :

Now that I look again, the Taurus vinyl should have been a giveaway; that is most likely a Mark IV head shell. Looks great!

Also, you're a lot better at taking care of face plates than me, or any of the previous owners of amps I've bought used. :mrgreen:

It seems that the fragile zone of the faceplate is the EQ grey paint... I saw many Boogies damaged here.

Hi All,

To check that possible problem, I have made some "closeness simulations" : using my MKIIA Tolex cab, speaker removed (listening via my Thiele cab), I placed several reverb units in different positions more or less close to the power Xfo, including of course the position used by Mesa in the stock MK series Rev option heads. Same amp settings for all, indeed. Here are some pictures of the trails :

The normal reverb unit in its normal combo position on my MKIIA. The tank is acoustically insulated, and the open side is down, fixed on a carton shielded with glued alimentary aluminium foil : no hum and no larsen at any setting, tone is deep and excellent.
212030IMG0416.jpg

Another reverb unit in the combo position. The tank is closed by a srcewed aluminum plate (1.5mm), Open "closed" side down, no acoustic insulation except 5mm felt glued externally on the aluminium plate, output (recovery) of the reverb is the furthest from the power Xfo : no hum but sensivity to external noise and larsen, tone is more metallic.
558461IMG0469.jpg

Boogie head position. The reverb unit will remain the same now. open "closed" side down. Reverb tank pushed near the front of the cab. Distance from power Xfo is 10mm between metallic parts, but reverb output is now the closest from the power Xfo : unacceptable hum, non valid position. Then reverb is returned to its original "furthest output" position : much less hum, but more hum than in the combo position.
521429IMG0443.jpg

Boogie head reverb position. The reverb is now placed open "closed" side up and remains "furthest output" position, same other conditions. Slightly less hum than the open "closed" side down position, so it is the best boogie head position, but always more hum than the combo position, and the metallic tone, the sensivity to external noises and larsen remains.
535602IMG0446.jpg

VERDICT : an acceptable compromise... if :

- the position chosen by Mesa for the MK heads is the best one, given the room available : open "closed" side up, and "output furthest", pushed near the front face of the headshell.
- the tank must closed by a shielding plate.
- the tank may need to be directly grounded via a separate wire to the chassis.
- the tank would be very profitably insulated acoustically in order to avoid metallic tone, sensivity to external noise and larsen.

But the combo position remains obviously better in terms of hum because the tank is as far as possible from the power Xfo.

A+!

Your reverb tank is wearing jeans.

... And 2 or 3 pull-over sleeves underneath !

777693IMG0414.jpg

545663IMG8389.jpg

These are cheap, easy to find materials, but nonetheless presentable, and VERY efficient for acoustic insulation of a reverb tank.

A+!

Hi All,

The Boogie MKIIB Rev Eq 60/100 head came to me this morning :D , after being waiting 3 weeks in the French Customs and paying a circa 270USD (213 Euros) tax fee :evil:. I did not tested it yet, only preliminary inspected it, and took some first pics :

834250IMG0836.jpg

429636IMG0884.jpg

886465IMG0861.jpg

545993IMG0860.jpg

This one is dated (my MKIIA was not) : November 19th, 1980
Initials : MD
Serial number : 6061
Code on chassis sides : HRG
Has been checked/serviced at the MESA factory in 2007, and the "Fx loop mod" was added then :

159972IMG0814.jpg

More info soon...

A+!

JOEY B. said:
I am going to assume that you saw the incorrect screen grid resistor on the far left power tube socket.

Yes, and many other parts have been replaced too when it was serviced at the MESA factory in 2007. For the moment, I am tracing the "Fx Loop Mod" schematic. I'll try a search to see if I found some drawing to compare with mine.

A+!

Latest posts

Back