Boogie Mark I

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussion

Reaction score
Hi everybody !
I'm a new member here.. and I don't really have a lot of experience of Boogie amps..
Used to own a 50 Caliber+ combo that I though was OK. But it was a little bit too crunchy, or buzzy if you like, for my taste. I like that old Larry Carlton (1978 album), John McLaughlin ("Visions of the Emerald Beyond", "Inner Words" etc.) Santana ("Welcome", "Love Devotion and Surrender" etc.), Lee Ritenour ("Feel the Night") type tone.. Sort of a smoother tone with more compression. and the Caliber didn't really produce it. But right now I'm about to buy an original Mark I amp head. 60w with Graphic EQ. Hopefully it will get me closer to the tone that I have in my head! :)

Welcome ... I like mine. Larry Carlton is the reason I went shopping for it. Good to see you here too Boogiebabies. :D

Thanks a lot guys! Dr Nick Rivera.. well I think I like that name :D

Ken, I really dig the Carlton-like tone you've got (especially on the tune "Weekend")
What speaker do you use with your MKI? and how loud did you set the Master?

cheers!

Thanks ...

I almost never change my controls on the Boogie but I never really nailed his tone ... mine is a bit more edge all the time. Not as smooth.

V1 - slightly under 8 (slighly over with a single coil)
V2 - slightly under 8 (slightly over with a single coil)
T - 7-8
B - 2-3
M - either 3 or 7 (usually 7)
MV - recording in house 1.4 (Live only about 2 with mic)
Brightness in back 3-4

1x12 EVM12L (original I bought in '78)

Weekend was on the SA2000 Yamaha Semi (my #1) that has 8.3k and 8.8k original alnico 5 mags.

I am really interested in the two channel option I proposed earlier too.

Cussion said:
Thanks a lot guys! Dr Nick Rivera.. well I think I like that name :D

Ken, I really dig the Carlton-like tone you've got (especially on the tune "Weekend")
What speaker do you use with your MKI? and how loud did you set the Master?

cheers!

Your greeting reminded me of the Simpsons.

Dr. Nick is notable for his exclamation upon entering a room of “Hi, everybody!”, which is immediately followed by a response of “Hi, Dr. Nick!”

222px-Dr_Nick.png

Ken !
I got my Mark I today, and man this amp sounds so sweet! It really sings!
Right now I only have a Fane-loaded 16ohm Hiwatt 2x12 at home, so I had to do a "mis-match" but it sounded wonderful anyway.. maybe the clean channel will stay clean better when I plug it into a 8ohm cab, right now it breaks up pretty early..

Anyway. I read that you have your Master on 1,4 at home. Well, the volume comes around 1,5 - 2 on mine.. That may also have to do with the "mis-match" and of course.. My MkI is the 60w version, while yours is 100w.

I generally run mine on the 60W setting ... sometimes 100W when I play on a stage ... either way I generally don't push it over 2 on the master volume and I mic the amp.

Congrats on the new MK1 ... :D

Thanks a lot! :D

The volume issue is probably because of the ohm mis-match, I read that when running higher resistance (for example 8ohm output into 16ohm cab) it will provide less output from the amp, 'cause the amp will run cooler.. I'm gonna try my amp with a 8ohm cab. Hopefully I'll get more headroom.

And I'm gonna buy a speaker that's more suited to the amp than my Fane speakers are. A EVM12 maybe :wink:

16 OHM will run lower and cooler ... I believe that's true.

I have an EVM12L and it is indestructible ... they are very loud and don't really "break up". If you like the speaker to break up, the EVM12L may not be what you are looking for ... but I like mine. I bought it new and built the cabinet (in my avatar) back in '78 when I bought the head. The speaker has never been removed from the cabinet.

Latest posts

Back