Boogie Lonestar Special Settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMP10

Reaction score
Hello to all my Boogie Brethren,
This is my first post on this board, and I want to dedicate it to my new pride and joy, the Lonestar Special. I have owned a Mark IV and a Dual Rectifier, but dropped both of them for the Special. I'm looking for other users tone settings. Currently, I run the first channel as a high headroom clean for rthym work. However, I'm having a tough time with the second channel. I'm looking for that Stevie Ray Vaughan (Texas) lead sound. Any suggestions?

First, change the tubes for NOS or JJs - the Mesa's aren't great for channel 2.

Second do a search on LSS and you'll see the many threads on this one.

I personally like the following to get a nice smooth lead tone (and suitable crunch as well). It doesn't hurt sometimes to have an additional boost in front of course....

Setting: Thicker (Bottom)
Drive (On) @ 2:00
Gain @ 3:30

Treble @ 11:00
Mid @ 11:00
Bass @ 2:00

Master @ 12:00 and the Loop engaged; Output as loud as you want - Usually I do this on the 5 or 15 watt setting to get the most power amp distortion possible. As it says in the LSS special manual, Keeping the Gain higher than the drive will give you a smoother sound.

To get more crunch out of this, I might scoop the mids even more...

Have fun!

timmerel said:
First, change the tubes for NOS or JJs - the Mesa's aren't great for channel 2.

Second do a search on LSS and you'll see the many threads on this one.

Hey Timmerel, Can that be done without having to put in a bias adjuster? What range (?) of NOS should one look for? I don't want to modify my LSS but would love to have a better channel 2 myself? TIA!

I'm actually kind of frustrated with channel 2. I want to reproduce the tone of channel 1, but with a bit more gain, just for sustain purposes (Clapton). I either get muddy or fizzy, oversatured. PLaying live, too much gain for my style of playing just doesn't fit. Man I love this amp, but I'm rethinking all the options with it...granted, I got it very cheap (thanks to trade-ins), and I wish it was plug in and play. HOwever, the tone is there, I'm just having a tough time setting it so I have two channels for gigs. I played last night, and my clean tone was monster, but my lead tone was lacking. I dunno, maybe I just suck! I really want to hear how some of you guys are setting yours...I just got mine a month ago

AMP10 said:
I'm actually kind of frustrated with channel 2. I want to reproduce the tone of channel 1, but with a bit more gain, just for sustain purposes (Clapton). I either get muddy or fizzy, oversatured. PLaying live, too much gain for my style of playing just doesn't fit. Man I love this amp, but I'm rethinking all the options with it...granted, I got it very cheap (thanks to trade-ins), and I wish it was plug in and play. HOwever, the tone is there, I'm just having a tough time setting it so I have two channels for gigs. I played last night, and my clean tone was monster, but my lead tone was lacking. I dunno, maybe I just suck! I really want to hear how some of you guys are setting yours...I just got mine a month ago

You're right. Channel 2 is a challenge. I find that really dimming out bass and mid are the key to getting rid of whatever it is that causes the dirt. Keep treble to taste (between 11 and 1 o'clock), mid at 10:30, and bass around 9.

I first thought that it was my les paul that overpowered ch 2 and I just kept plugging in my strat. Now that i've figured out that the channel is mid and bass heavy I can usually get good sounds with both SC and H'buckers. All said and done I just don't dig ch 2 on my LSS. :( at best I find it tolerable and I suspect that I must suck a big one too :D

Edit: I plugged in my paul today and Ch 2 brought smiles. Maybe I just don't dig my strat anymore :? :?

So..the conclusion is that my LSS is a beauty as I've always believed and my ears are finicky :( .

So long as you use tubes of the same type, no bias fiddling needed.

There are substantial threads on which NOS tubes to consider in the tubes forum, including the ones I went with!

Check www.myspace.com/fudjmusic - the first couple of tracks - for the lead tone from my amp.

And the key to channel 2 (once you've swapped out the nasty Mesa tubes, which I couldn't get a good overdrive tone from either) is using low drive settings and relying on the rest of the channel controls to get your sound. Tweak, tweak, tweak.

timmerel said:
So long as you use tubes of the same type, no bias fiddling needed.

There are substantial threads on which NOS tubes to consider in the tubes forum, including the ones I went with!

Check www.myspace.com/fudjmusic - the first couple of tracks - for the lead tone from my amp.

And the key to channel 2 (once you've swapped out the nasty Mesa tubes, which I couldn't get a good overdrive tone from either) is using low drive settings and relying on the rest of the channel controls to get your sound. Tweak, tweak, tweak.

Thanks Tim, I'll try this out.

Back