Bold/Spongy and Silicone/Rectifier. Which is your choice?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I thought spongy was more compressed sounding, whilst bold was bigger and punchier sounding, perhaps due to the extra midrange coming through...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=528

the above thread has some good insight into this topic.

KH Guitar Freak said:
Personally, I thought spongy was more compressed sounding, whilst bold was bigger and punchier sounding, perhaps due to the extra midrange coming through...

+1.

volatileNoise seems to be confused.

Spongy is more.... spongy. Bold is more... bold. It's pretty straight forward.

when you put compression on a kick drum or bass, what does it do?

make it punchier, more even, loud perhaps?

volatileNoise said:
when you put compression on a kick drum or bass, what does it do?

make it punchier, more even, loud perhaps?

Can also make it flat, squashed and un-dynamic.

But last time I checked we were talking about guitar amps and not studio effects...

I am talking about mixing a live band actually, or mixing in a studio if you like.

When playing bold everything you play or even touch on the fret board is loud, a single note lead lick is **** near as loud as a full blown riff, so if that is not acting like compression, then stuffed if I know what else you would want to call it!

spongy not so much the case.

volatileNoise said:
I am talking about mixing a live band actually, or mixing in a studio if you like.

When playing bold everything you play or even touch on the fret board is loud, a single note lead lick is **** near as loud as a full blown riff, so if that is not acting like compression, then stuffed if I know what else you would want to call it!

spongy not so much the case.

I see what you're getting at now. Not sure of a word for it but I wouldn't call it compression since it's lack of compression that's allowing it to achieve full dynamic volume.

yeah it is actually compressed, but also a few db's louder, ie. making it bolder sounding

i think often people confuse compression with overly squashed sounds, and when something is "over compressed" this is very much the case (squashed sound)

good example, was when I got a CD mastered a few months back, the thing is definitely louder, and bolder too, all due to the "correct" use of compression. But sometimes I find the quiet parts a bit too dynamic (due to compression) as I like the loud **** to really stand out in comparison, with the quiet stuff.

screamingdaisy said:
I see what you're getting at now. Not sure of a word for it but I wouldn't call it compression since it's lack of compression that's allowing it to achieve full dynamic volume.

also, I would call it less dynamic, because in music terms, dynamics are about how broad the difference is between loud and quiet parts, guitars, or whatever.

everything being loud and bold is actually not dynamic as such

volatileNoise said:
also, I would call it less dynamic, because in music terms, dynamics are about how broad the difference is between loud and quiet parts, guitars, or whatever.

everything being loud and bold is actually not dynamic as such

What you're talking about is lack of player dynamics, not amplifier compression due to the lack of headroom created by using the spongy setting on the Recto, which is what this thread was about...

Bold is the more dynamic/less compressed setting.

:roll: yeah... no ****.

again; http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=528

believe what you want about compression vs dynamics, I am not talking about dynamics of playing.

volatileNoise said:
:roll: yeah... no sh!t.

again; http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=528

believe what you want about compression vs dynamics, I am not talking about dynamics of playing.

I read that, but it's saying the exact opposite of what you're saying so I fail to see how it backs up your point.

Lately, I've been playing on Spongy/Tube. The sound is growing on me, since before I preferred the Bold/Diode. I am in the process of finding a hot plate, but until then I will keep it the same.

My DR sounds weak on the spongy setting. I don't believe I could get it loud enough for a stage setting. After reading some of these posts I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it. :shock:

Latest posts

Back