BOGNER ALCHEMIST

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak47

Reaction score
Tried one out today... very nice amp... quality components, good workmanship, reasonable price and all the usable features you could want for a gigging amp IMO... and then there is the built in delay... tasty!

First impressions are that I can pull pretty much all the sounds I want from it and that it sounded good! Unfortunately the shop I tried it in is full of old flouro lighting so it was a bit noisy (all the amps in there share the same symptom - change the lighting guys!!!) Otherwise a really great amp...

Anyone else tried it and care to comment?

http://www.bogneramplification.com/index_alchemist.php

I think Bogner had his heart in the right place, but to be honest the "Made in China" is really a turn off as well as the price point for something built in Asia.

I tried one a few weeks ago and thought it was a fabulous amp. Cleans were fantactic and i really like the tone shaping options with the bright and depth switches. Crunch mode was also very nice especially with an OD in front. I got a very convincing ACDC tone out of it and found it very similar to my Roadster Channel 2 Brit. Channel 2 had a very nice liquidy tone for leads and with an OD i could get pretty close to Channel 3 Raw on my Roadster.

What i found really nice was the reverbs and delays. I always shy away from amps with built in delay but Bogner nailed it with this amp. Everything just seems to fit right which makes sense since its integrated into the amp. For a person who's very plug and play and likes simple amp with great tone the Alchemist is a great buy. I know most are turned off by Chinese built amps but if reliability holds true to the Bogner name i think this is a fantastic value.

Interesting comments guys...!

Yep, the look of the front is a bit lacking in the symmetry department for me too.... not the coolest looking amp I have seen but I think I could get used to it though because as I said before, I found it to be a good amp.

Now... this part is interesting.. I purposely did not mention where it was made in my first post because I also prefer to support the love, detail and attention to craftmanship that is usually shown by American and European amp manufacturers. There is a lot of tradition, heart and soul put into their work probably partly because of the parrallel growth and development of the music industry in a historical context across the Atlantic over the last 50 years... BUT, in the case of the Alchemist, I really feel that Bogner have nailed it... a good sounding, versatile amp with quality build and quality components at an affordable price that has a VIBE.

Of course I would prefer to buy and support a 'made in USA' Bogner... but here in europe at the moment, I could get two Alchemists for the price of one USA Bogner... go figure...

Anyway, it is always up to personal taste if you like an amp no matter where it is made. Try one out... I am glad I did.

I have had my 1x12 Alchemist for about a month now and the amp has a great vibe. I did change out V1 and V3 with NOS GE Jan 12AX7WA's which gave a more fluid tone across the board. I am using a Thiele cab as an extension spkr and the amp sounds great. Lots of nice tones and the EQ is very active, like a Mesa.
Art

The next time you get a chance try the Alchemist with these settings on the clean; Gain 11, Treble 12.30, Mid 12, bass 11. Crunch off, Bright and bass on. Try this with P-90s.
Art

Latest posts

Back