Blue Voodoo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lerxst88

Reaction score
Anyone have one/played one? I might pick up a 4x12 cab with celestion vintage 30s but i might trade my mesa 2x12 for it. would you??

I would never trade anything that say Mesa on it for something that says Crate. Plain and Simple. I've played on Blue Voodoo's before and never liked the sound of them. Thin, buzzy, nasty tone I thought.

Turumbar82 said:
I would never trade anything that say Mesa on it for something that says Crate. Plain and Simple. I've played on Blue Voodoo's before and never liked the sound of them. Thin, buzzy, nasty tone I thought.

for real. crate = garbage. but hey i started with a couple of crates.

derekjason said:
but hey i started with a couple of crates.

Me too!! I had a GX-15 combo and it literally caught fire in the middle of one of my first gigs.

I got a replacement under warranty, and SMOKE came out of it after 3 weeks. Crate's are no better than Marshalls in my opinion.

I still have a Crate V33 all tube head which I got for $115. :mrgreen: Its noisy. but still has the stock tubes which I think are the main culprits. the cleans are very good. But overdrive (not distortion) is very fat and very bassy. too bassy. I got it primarily to do some mods after some guy got his mod'd to sound like a soldano and has posted his modifications online. But I have no clue how or what to do with those instructions. :lol:

I guess I should admit it.

I used to own a Crate GFX 212. Considering the price and the fact that it was a solid state amp... it was actually pretty good. I never abused it and had it for probably 5 years or so before I finally sold it.

any other reasons besides the name on the front?

Apparently theyre made of baltic birch plywood and use celestion vintage 30 speakers. Guess who else makes their cabs the same way....

The second guitarist in my previous band just bought one. He says it sucks! Even though its a all tube, it does not have the dynamics of a tube amplifier. That's the best way I can put it. The tones arent that great either. Their flexwave series are better worth for the money.

So, you're getting a BV head and a crate 4x12 with celestion v30's for your recto 2x12? Yeah, I have the exact same 4x12 and its very well built. I'm not getting rid of it soon. :) I got my cab with busted crate speakers for $50.

I think lerxst88 is not doing a very good job explaining what he is trying to ask.

I think he is saying he can trade his mesa 2x12 cab for a 4x12 Blue Voodoo cabinet, no head involved.

If the Crate cab has V30's in it, play through it! If you think it sounds better than your 2x12 cab, than do it, if that is what you want. Your mesa 2x12 probably is worth a little bit more money, so keep that in consideration.

YES! No head involved but Mesa all the way! I actually found a BV cab really cheap so I might just keep the mesa and maybe swap speakers just to see if theres much improvement

hey im using crate cabinet bv 412 w/ cele. v.30 16 ohm for my mesa single rectifier head..and i think it is quite nice :) how about you guys??? is there any problems with the cabs??? and whats the difference on marshall 1960 cabs w/ v.30 and crate bv w/ v.30??? they are using same celes. v.30 speakers... is it affects the sound??? sorry for my stupid question :) i just got my mesa about for 2 months ago thx guys regards from indonesia :)

Hey, welcome to the forum. I also have a Crate 4x12. Its not the blue voodoo cab but I like it very much too. I got it for only $50 and loaded it with Guitar warehouse speakers. Its very sturdy. With a Mark IV it sounds wicked. Many times I think about bidding/buying real celestions but once I play on the cab, I change my mind and decide not to change speakers. :lol:

Just to see how different wood material affects sound, I'm building a 2x12 using Birch and basing it on a Mesa 2x12 rectifier horizontal cab's dimensions. I just started building yesterday and it will take some time to complete.

emperor_black said:
Hey, welcome to the forum. I also have a Crate 4x12. Its not the blue voodoo cab but I like it very much too. I got it for only $50 and loaded it with Guitar warehouse speakers. Its very sturdy. With a Mark IV it sounds wicked. Many times I think about bidding/buying real celestions but once I play on the cab, I change my mind and decide not to change speakers. :lol:

Just to see how different wood material affects sound, I'm building a 2x12 using Birch and basing it on a Mesa 2x12 rectifier horizontal cab's dimensions. I just started building yesterday and it will take some time to complete.

hello emperor, waw u got the cabs for only 50$?? its so cheap :D i got my blue voodoo cabs for 350$ (4 cele v.30)... waw cant wait for your report on 2x12 custom cabs :)

macbethava said:
hello emperor, waw u got the cabs for only 50$?? its so cheap :D i got my blue voodoo cabs for 350$ (4 cele v.30)... waw cant wait for your report on 2x12 custom cabs :)

well, I dont have the blue voodoo cab. I think the BV cab is made of Birch which is a much better material wood than my cab's. Also, you have celestion v30's which are about $70 each used. That's $280 right there for you. So, $350 for a cab loaded with them is not a bad price at all.

The BV cab is not a bad cab. Its actually smoother than a mesa cab and can deliver as much punch.

DudewithFr0 said:
The BV cab is not a bad cab. Its actually smoother than a mesa cab and can deliver as much punch.

are you serious?? because i've never tried mesa cabs before :D

macbethava said:
DudewithFr0 said:

are you serious?? because i've never tried mesa cabs before :D
Well ive had mine for a while so its nice and broken in. My bandmates mark V sounds ballsy as heck on it.
We tried it on a mesa recto cab and it sounded choked up as far as gain goes and a little fizzy but still had alot of punch

My best bud bought a BV half stack a few years back. It had a passable clean channel. Not much else though. Later on, though, he traded the head for a solid state Randall G2 (I think), which he still uses through the BV cab, which is a pretty nice cab, if I do say so myself. The solid state Randall, in my opinion, sounds much better than the BV amp ever did.

Back