Blue Angel Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I just got done with band practice.

I used my Blue Angel with a band for the 1st time.

The bass player didn't show up, so it was just me & a drummer.

I had really great clean tones with my Blue Angel all week, but they seemed to dissapear when I got with the drummer tonight.

I used the same guitar all week, a stock PRS McCarty with a Fulldrive II pedal.

The magic seemed to disappear tonight.

I used the amp at the same volume, about 9 o'clock and the same settings as all week.

It just seemed muddy and unresponsive. Any body have this problem?

My DC-10 has nowhere near the clean tones that the Blue Angel has, but if they are only available at bedroom volumes, then I am at a loss.

Huh?

Are you using just the 6V6's in 15 watt mode?

Mine gigs live every weekend, I stay mainly in the 4;EL84 mode, but have to use a tubescreamer for a touch of breakup. The volume never gets below 12:00, many times around 2:00.

I'm guessing you have a problem somewhere. In fact. I'd bet money on it.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I was using the Simul-Link setting. All of the power tubes.

I was hoping that it was a tube or something. All of the power tubes are new, but the preamp tubes are probably original.

At 12:00 do you have any breakup before you add the pedal?

Mine starts breaking up at 9:00 or so. Maybe I will change all the preamp tubes and see.

It sounded great by itself, but got lost with a drummer.

Sheeze....

Where to start?

Try just the 6V6 setting. Your Humbuckers are way stronger than my 91 Tele's single coils, but it should stay clean to about (sheeze!) 9:00/ 10:00, (I'm guessing here!)

The 4;EL84 setting should stay pretty clean until about 12:00, again, I use single coils.

Oh yea, one more thing, the mid control makes the Blue Angel break up more after 12:00, it's in the manual. I run mine around 1:00.

That might help eliminate a power tube problem.

You know? Not using simulink.

As for pre amp tubes, hell mine are stock, but it was a bedroom amp until this spring.

Sixveesix is way better at complex shematic questions on which preamp tube does what. He WILL spot this thread and respond when he gets a chance.

The Blue Angel is a VERY LOUD 30/38 watt amp. And very clean. You have a (probably) tube problem. Even new ones can be bad.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Shematic.

I invented a new word!

And as I ponder what it might mean, I think I like it.

Sheeze.......................

Murphy Slaw said:
Shematic.

I invented a new word!

And as I ponder what it might mean, I think I like it.

Sheeze.......................

She-matic? Plugs into the cigarette lighter, right? OK, back to the OP. Fat or Bright switch? Which input (they are voiced differently)? Like Murph says, the Mid knob is a Gain control after about 11 o'clock. Some of the Sovtek tubes Mesa rebranded for a while are murky sounding. Might try new preamp tubes, especially V1 and V2. Also try 5751 or 12at7 in V1. You will need to turn up the treble along with the volume, the volume is also a TONE (low pass) control as it gets up higher. Last but not least, which speaker is in there? Mine had a Black Shadow/Celestion Vintage 90, this is rolled off in the highs in my opinion. Can make a huge difference changing speakers. OK, that is the amp part of things.

How close to the strings are your pickups on your guitar? Too close and the first gain stage gets pushed in to distortion early. I like mine lowered down a bit, it is a sweeter tone and more even. It can take some time to voice all the above variables to find your tone at different volumes but it's kinda fun and so worth it when you get that "Puddin' Panty" tone. Good luck, SixVeeSix.

Thanks guys,

I didn't know about the mid knob. I didn't even bother downloading the manual, too few knobs. I will do so now.

As for the pickups,
The McCarty has fairly low output pickups, in comparison to my Custom 22. They are adjusted properly as well. Just high enough to get great sustain, but not dampen the strings.

I am really leaning toward a preamp tube problem. It was not a good type of breakup that I was getting. In fact, it sounded farty and I lost all sustain.

I will try some new tubes this weekend and some different settings. I think the Mids were somewhere around 2 or 3:00, I will turn them down and give it a try.

I have a huge stash of NOS and JJ preamp tubes.

I might try an AT7 in V1, but in my opinion, most amps loose their bite when I try this.

Luckily, I'm a Mesa tech, so if it is a real problem, I can call them and they will tell me where to look.

Thanks again, I will let you know what I find.

I'm also thinking that my Heritage 30 just might not have enough headroom.

Toward the end of the night, I added my 1/2 open Mesa 1x12 cab with a Celestion 90 in it, and that really seemed to help.

I did not stack them, but I put the cab next to the amp. I will have to experiment. I have a few Weber's, and some Mojotones in stock.

Latest posts

Back