Blue Angel 1x12 Combo speaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbone

Reaction score
I picked up a Blue angel 1x12 combo this week it's got a V30 16ohm in it.
What ohm speaker did these originally ship with?
I'm looking into a replacement speaker maybe a celestion gold but am open to input.

The stock speaker is a 8-ohm C90.

The Gold sounds fantastic in this amp, do it :). Admittedly I only tried the C90 and V30 in mine as well, but the Gold was clearly the best by a wide margin, it really brought out the character of the different power tube settings more than the others did.

Plus, if you haven't experimented with different tubes yet, you really need to! The stock all-12AX7 preamp set doesn't bring out the best in the circuit at all. I ended up with a 12AY7 in V2 and AT7s in V3 and V5 in mine (all GEs), with NOS Brimar 6V6s, Philips 6BQ5s and a GE 5AR4.

I wish I hadn't sold it (although at least to a good friend, so I get to play it sometimes) now.

94Tremoverb,
I have a Blue Angel with a 2x10 cabinet with those Alnico speakers.
What speakers do you recommend for a 2x10 cabinet?
Thank you in advance
Daniel

Not sure, but given that Celestion make a 10" Gold, maybe (if you can afford it!) try those :).

I've never played the 2x10", but I did once play the 4x10" and thought it sounded very nice with the stock speakers, better than the stock 1x12"; but cabinet size probably comes into it as well.

Thanks for the input, I plugged it into my avatar 2x12 monitor w/golds and it sounds sweet.

I'll retube soon and experiment with the Preamp tubes like you were talking about 94Tverb

FWIW I'm using a WGS Blackhawk which is a Gold clone. It's truly terrific in my BA! Remember to switch the output jack when using 6V6's alone, as per the manual.

You can do it both ways. I actually prefered it at 8 ohms - it had a thicker, more compressed sound and slightly less volume, and much more different from the EL84 sound. With it at 4 ohms into the 8-ohm speaker it was tighter but less characterful.

It always puzzled me why they should have designed it like that otherwise, if you needed to swap the impedance round the back to get the best sound when using the front panel tube switch. I used to switch it from one song to the next depending on what sound I wanted, never moved the speaker connection.

Now I should stop reminding myself that I sold it :(.

I thought I would post an important discovery (for me anyway).

I was all proud of myself for selecting the alnico Blackhawk speaker for my BA and dropping NOS glass in it. It (the speaker) has the warm vintagey tone we know and love. However, I own a second all-stock BA which I was planning to sell.

When I posted the stock amp on Craigslist, a dude showed up to try it out this past weekend. He played all his licks and finally decided it wasn't as toneful as his BF Super Reverb (boo hoo). Then I thought to myself: "Self, since you have the amp out, why not A-B it with your much improved BA?" So I agreed.

Much to my surprise, the older stock BA sounded slightly better. I was actually pretty pissed off to think that all my work really didn't amount to a hill of beans! What the heck was going on here?

Here's what I heard: The stock amp had more breakup in the 6V6 setting. Ok, that could just be due to differences in bias or potentially my NOS preamp tubes could not be 100% strength. The bass was clearer on the stock amp. Sure, we all know that alnico compresses, and this could lead to a roll off in some frequencies, usually treble, and there is often less volume. The alnico gives a rich, smoky character for sure where ceramic is quicker and harder, a more faithful, hi fi reproduction.

To make a long story short, I pulled the Blackhawk in favor of a Mojo Greyhound. Not a very well-known speaker to say the least, but I found it kicked butt in my BF Twin Reverb clone (not like my 5F2 or 6V6 plexi). It is roughly designed like a Vintage 30 but less 'annoying'. I also replaced V1 and V2 with some more reliable NOS tubes. The speaker helped enormously and gives up the clear bass far better than the Blackhawk. Sure it's rated at 101 dB instead of 99, so it's louder but the important thing is it shifted toward the sound I want from my Blue Angel: a 1x12 that sounds full enough to stand on its own with the versatility of 3 (power tube) sounds. This speaker reproduces the differences better than the Blackhawk or the other speakers I tried (Scumback XH55, stock Black Shadow). It has clarity that approaches the hi fi tone of an EV say without being sterile. It sounds a lot like a 50-50 blend of C12N and G12H (as advertised -imagine that). I was surprised the Scumback didn't do so well in this amp. I need to check out some 2x12 combinations with this amp, but I really want the portability of a 1x12 that will sound big and 3D when clean. This speaker does it and I think a lot of it can be credited to alnico not being so great for this application!

Latest posts

Back