Blown power tubes...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murfman

Reaction score
I just popped a power tube while I was playing...started sounding funny and then sound faded out. Bad smell. One power tube dark, the other bright as a super nova...the bad smell is bothering me...I hope this didn't fry my amp...the strange thing is that now my power light is off and wont light...is this normal?

I'm freaked until I can buy another set of tubes and make sure my amp is still ok....Can I take a chill pill?

Mark IIb 60/100

-Murf

Ok..my slo-blo fuse is toast...amp should be good with new tubes.

Any suggestions for a new set of 6L6s? I seem to always buy Mesa or Groove tubes due to the set bias of my mark IIb. Can anyone suggest anything else? I like blues and rock and rock...nothing too high gain.

Thanks-
-Murf

Murfman said:
I just popped a power tube while I was playing...started sounding funny and then sound faded out. Bad smell. One power tube dark, the other bright as a super nova...the bad smell is bothering me...I hope this didn't fry my amp...the strange thing is that now my power light is off and wont light...is this normal?

I'm freaked until I can buy another set of tubes and make sure my amp is still ok....Can I take a chill pill?

Mark IIb 60/100

-Murf

I dont know if its the same problem i had, but mine blew tubes in a blazing purple light alos in a similar way.

The problem was the tube sockets, if all the tube pins dont get prober connection the auto bias goes out of the window.

The tube amp repair shop replaced the 4 power tubes sockest and it have worked awsome ever since.

Dont know about the power on ligt do.

Winged C´s have worked great for me in my MKIV.

A little more expensive but, you know what they say...

You get what you pay for.

Mick

I have Winged C's 6L6'sin my Mesa at the moment.
I have used Svetlana's(power),JJ's(pre and power) in some other amps.
Picked up sets of Mesa 6v6 and EL34's.They sound amazing.
When the WC's go I will get Mesa 6L6's

same happen to my mark 4 one tube was off and the other like a sun, now i am looking for new tubes, do someone know how sound a mark 4 with 2 el34's and 2 6l6's? i read in the manual you can use that combination, i like to play metal and jazz, i dont whant that blues tones

I just recently replaced my mesa stock tubes in my iv with these and they sound better. Cuts a lil brightness from r1 and added clarity to r2 and lead.
tube.jpg

primeholy said:
I just recently replaced my mesa stock tubes in my iv with these and they sound better. Cuts a lil brightness from r1 and added clarity to r2 and lead.

so you recomend to keep using four 6l6's? insted of change to a pair of el34 and pair 6l6's or four
6v6's

everfeel said:
primeholy said:

so you recomend to keep using four 6l6's? insted of change to a pair of el34 and pair 6l6's or four
6v6's
I threw in a pair of el34s with my old tubes to try out. I like it better with all 6l6's, but some love it with th 34's. You could buy a quad of 6l6 and a pair of el34's and try it out. That way if you dont like it you can throw the 6l6's back in and have some spares.

Back