blowing speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overwater

Reaction score
hello,
i have a boogie mk iv comb that has blown 7 speakers in 5 years, 3custom 90
2 jenson and a 2x12 cab with gh12 80 speakers in i was wondering if any body else has had the same problem. i dont know if its a speaker problem or amp problem thanks in advance :)

What were the speakers that died rated for?You got a 100 watt amp,like boogiebabies said I would not use anything less than 150 watts too.

thanks for the help everybody,
souelle i think you could be right about driving the amp to hard for the speakers, i use the mid boost on lead on 100 watts setting with the bass and trebble boosted on the eq for solo and drive the amp at about 3 on master vol 4 on clean 4 on crunch and 3 on lead.they have always been 1 90 watt speakers that have blown maybe i should be looking at the ev speakers , :shock:

There has got to be something causing too much speaker movement.
the MK IV is rated at 85 Watts, but can double its peak output power.
I heard that EV is going to reissue the 12L in 200 Watt form. I picked up the EV 12BL Black Label rated for 300 Watts. If you use a 2X12 in stereo, the worst case scenario is you can have a cabinet capable of handling 400 or 600 watts depending on the EV you choose. Three of my 12L's are over 20 years old and are still nice and tight. My personal goal is to try 2 EV 12L's in a G-Flex cabinet. BAWLZ !!!!!

Good luck to you.

i used to have the mk2 b combo with the ev speaker in, i had it for about 23 years without a speaker problem ,but when i tried the mk4 with the celestion custom 90 speaker in i liked the sound a lot more it was more mellow and vintage sounding, nothing against ev speakers its just my preference. can any body reccomend a speaker that can give me that sound but with the added power so i am not blowin them.
thanks

Speak to Ted Weber,tell him what you are looking for and he will get you there.

No sweat.Ted makes some of the best speakers,IMHO.And he is great to deal with.I have never waited more than a couple of hours for an answer to an email,and his advice has always been dead on.

You might try a 2x12 cabinet loaded with a pair of 100's or a pair of c90's. I would that a 4x12 pushing 65's would do it too. I know that I risk my greenbacks when I use them but it sounds so sweet. I try not to get too loud though. I would suggest a 2x12 with v30's but they can sound a little dark. If you are playing primarily rhythms then it might be ok. I would go with the 65's in a 4x12 if you are pushing your amp loud because they are more musical than the v30's especially if you are playing leads. I have one and it sounds great though it is also a 1960a cab. The 1960b cab I have loaded with v30's sounds good too but like I said it is not as musical sounding.

Actually Souelle, their sound in the studio is pretty much what you hear on the recordings with a little eq'ing. They have these massive foam walls that they use to shape and isolate their tone. In addition to this they use multiple cabinets and cabinet types to get their tone. Much of their tone though is finalized after the board. They even say that they like to dime their amps at times then eq it at the board so that their sound is in fact fuller. It was in the late 80's that they started to cut their mids a little. In the early 80's they just watched the amount of bass in order to keep things from getting muddy sounding to maintain that razor sharp attack. I think I remember James saying that when they dial in their tone they start from the bass end and dial in enough to be deep but not muddy. Then add enough mids to cut through the mix and bring the treble up just enough to keep it from getting ice picky. This is against the ideas of most that think that they scoop their tone. I guess without the added effect of the eq at the board only playing through an amp that would be the closest you could get to making that tone though. So for their application that is the way to get there but it really isn't how they got their tone initially.

Imagining G-Flex loaded with EV 12BL's....

I think you might knock over the girls in the front row and any young teenage guys with the air movement alone. That sounds awfully massive. Are you sure you want to do that?

Yeah that is what I thought, me too..... :twisted:

I was just thinking some more about your dilemma. Try replacing the C90 in the combo. Then adding a ported EVM-12L in a separate cabinet. Even a 1x12. I am running the EVM-12L in the combo with a ported EVM-12L. This sounds great. Sometimes I unplug the combo speaker and just run the Thiele cabinet. I would assume that the C90 would sound better to help liven up the sound as the EVM-12L in the combo sounds a tad sterile by itself. The Thiele though with the EVM-12L opened my eyes because it sounded so good.

Back