bloody britain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesanomad100

Reaction score
hi there,just got my new recto over from america,all in all cost $1600,great I thought,thats half the price of a recto over here in britain(shipped it from america),well I thought that was all payed for so spent £1000($2000)on mesa cabs just to realize today when I got home from practise the tax man had charged me an extra £200(you guessed it almost $400),angry,well yes I thought the cost would have been covered in the shipping,suppose thats what I get for not knowing about international shipping ehhh,still over here in britain the government are a bunch of robbing f***ers

ohhh rant over

Euan

Boogiebabies said:
Like paying $ 22,000 in taxes is any better here. Just think of all the gear I could buy if Uncle Slam did not slay my income.

I feel your pain !!!

Exactly, My mother is from the UK (Reading, Berkshire) and I marvel at people here in the US who always associate Britain with high taxes , like we dont get the sh*&t taxed out of us here in the US . We pay lots of taxes as well . It just comes from different places and how about the cost of our health insurance . When i told my aunt the UK what we pay she thought i was joking . We are all getting screwed !

Boogiebabies said:
Like paying $ 22,000 in taxes is any better here. Just think of all the gear I could buy if Uncle Slam did not slay my income.

I feel your pain !!!

I understand income taxes in the US are voluntary, stop paying them :lol:

just have lots of kids, nice tax deductions... well, when they get older, they want their own instruments, so I guess it works out about the same...... 1 bass player, 1 guitar player, two piano players...... aaahahhh!!!!!! Plus me, oh no! LOL!

Yeah that's always a bugger paying import tax. I'm always looking at prices of equipment in USD with envy. But the import tax doesn't make it much better. In some cases, it would be cheaper (and maybe more fun) go fly to the US and bring it back in, and running down the "nothing to declare" isle!!

You still got a good deal though even after the import tax right?!!

What really anoys me, is my friend who's from the US, moved to the UK, posted himself his OWN things, then got charged UK import tax! It's just not right, but then I guess it's hard to distinguish something that somebody is trying to import and something that is their posession...

From what I know from selling and buying off Ebay, the UK customs import is one of the strictest around. Most other countries you can get away with shipping 1 or 2 items and spend more time looking into when people are shipping 100 items!

yeh,suppose in america you have to pay for different things like health care but The NHS (national health care service)over here is well...crap and your better off goin private nowadays,but yeh I still got a great deal on the head,If I knew I had all of that to pay I would have flown over to the US and brought back a lovely new RKII if possible,you know what Im saying,the prices of mesa's in the US are alot cheaper so its more worth while goin for a holiday,buy a new amp and well stop hating this goddamn country for a while

Euan

Customs/taxes can be bad here in Canada too. Even worse is if the shipper sends it by UPS or FedEx as they act as a "broker" on your behalf and charge you even more for doing so sometimes almost double or triple depending on the value.

I prefer regular mail and most often I don't get hit with customs at all. touch wood.

Wingee,I did buy an american voltage head,so had to pay for a step up transformer,I may get the power transformer changed completly to a normal british transformer,but then again I will have to carry the footswitch and cables etc around seperatly anyway so a small metal box wont do any harm

Euan

Guys,
You cannot imagine how cheap we have it here in the states. I travel all over the world and wonder how people can afford to live. I would not be able to afford the size house I have anywhere but here in the Midwest. At least we can be strategic about taxes (and I am not implying not paying them, just using useful deductions)
I make it to the UK about every six weeks and if I ever sell any gear, I'll bring it directly over :D 1800 pounds for a LesPaul makes mine look pretty good on the used market.

I know that you may feel like you've been raped (again) but...try looking at the situation like this ; what you've missed on this end you'll more than make up for it on the other end and with the air of expectancy something very good will come your way! :) 8)

Barry said:
Boogiebabies said:

I feel your pain !!!

Exactly, My mother is from the UK (Reading, Berkshire) and I marvel at people here in the US who always associate Britain with high taxes , like we dont get the sh*&t taxed out of us here in the US . We pay lots of taxes as well . It just comes from different places and how about the cost of our health insurance . When i told my aunt the UK what we pay she thought i was joking . We are all getting screwed !

I live in Reading, Berkshire too!

jvk said:
Barry said:
Boogiebabies said:

I feel your pain !!!

I live in Reading, Berkshire too!

Where abouts are you located ? My aunt is in Burghfield Common . My mother was actually born in Caversham . Most of the family originated in Gt. knollys st. near the cattle market .

hey bro, I live by the university of Reading, near the hospital / cemetary junction.

It doesn't compare with sunny South Carolina though :D you could probably find better Boogies there too![/quote]

jvk said:
hey bro, I live by the university of Reading, near the hospital / cemetary junction.

It doesn't compare with sunny South Carolina though :D you could probably find better Boogies there too!
[/quote]

My mother was born in the Royal Berkshire hospital , same hospital they took George Harrison to when the pillock broke in Friar Park and stabbed him . Yes it is sunny here today and there are plenty of boogies about . I like Reading though . Been there many times . Have plans to be there about this time next year

Back