Black Shadow

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgventura

Reaction score
I was on the Mesa site and clicked "Custom Black Shadow Speakers" and it brought me to their page with just different Celestion speakers on it...? Whats this Black Shadow that they speak of?

"Black Shadow" is just the name Mesa has chosen for their product line of re-labeled speakers.

Celestion makes a lot of speakers. The Celestions that Mesa has chosen to put in their amps get a Black Shadow sticker. Same goes for the EV "Black Shadow" speakers.

This is from a Mesa half-back cab:
black_shadow.jpg

As far as I know, they are the exact same speaker.

Now, the old school 30W Celestions (which is the REAL vintage 30 before Celstion started marketing the "Vintage 30" label) has a heavier cone. If you are going to play loud, you really need lots of these . They are pretty fragile. I damaged four of these years ago in a 4x12 cab from cranking my amp up too much. Ooops!

The Celestion V30's that Mesa uses are the 60W flavor speaker (labeled as 'Vintage 30' by Celestion) - with a thinner cone to help get the same breakup as their 30W cousin. These can handle a lot of power, and still sound great. Just note, that these speakers aren't actually 30W speakers.

Actually there is a difference, the black shadow speaker shown in that picture is a 90 watt speaker, to be more accurate that is the black shadow MC-90. To me they sound more like the celestion Classic lead 80 speakers
http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=8

jgventura said:
Ohhh, so there is no difference in sound between a Celestion V30 and a Blackshow Clestion V30?

The picture is there as an example of a Mesa Black Shadow Label.

The discussion about V30's is independent of (and subsequent to) the posting of the image. Yes the image is of a 90W Celestion. It was never presented as a V30 or anything resembling one.

Just like the one that died in my F-50 :(

I now have a much lighter, tighter bass sounding Jensen NEO 100.

Back