Black Shadow MC-90 Speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtbaker

Reaction score
Does anybody know what those speakers sound like? I found a cheap Mesa cab with them, but I have no idea what they sound like.

-Zach

I called Mesa about this once, and what I was told was that the MC90's are a slightly modified version of the Celestion Classic Lead 80 speaker. (More info on the speaker can be found on Celestion's website here: Celestion Classic Lead 80. The Mesa version has a slightly beefier voice coil for higher power handling.

I really like the MC90's and prefer it to the Celestion V30's that Mesa also uses in some of their products. They are a very smooth, relatively colorless speaker that does a good job of preserving your amps tone. In contrast, other popular Celestion speakers are known to emphasize certain frequencies--the Vintage 30's have pronounced mid frequencies, and the G12T-75 (used in Marshalls) are known for their aggressive high frequencies.

All of them can sound good in the right application, so try them all out if possible to see what works best for you.

Hope that helps!

Try it out and see how it sounds to YOU, you can always change the speaker down the road if you don't like it.

I don't have experience with the Stiletto amps to give you a valid opinion, but I'm sure if you ask about it in the Modern Amps forum, someone can give you good advice...

Good luck!

Well, you'll either like it or you won't ...I know, profound, wasn't it. 8)

FWIW, I like the Mesa-Celestion speakers: pretty "neutral" and versatile to many musical styles, but also beefy and round and not inherently bright. And if you got the cab at a good price, you can always change the speaker for something you like ...not to mention that Boogie cabs are built like tanks so it's a good buy if you think of it that way.

Edward

Back