bill lawrence question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex1fly

Reaction score
For those of you that have used a Bill Lawrence XL500 (or the other output models) what kinds of guitars did you like it the best in? Strat style, LP style, or others? What amp did you use?

It is, I was going to ask what amps people used after I got responses.

alex1fly said:
For those of you that have used a Bill Lawrence XL500 (or the other output models) what kinds of guitars did you like it the best in? Strat style, LP style, or others? What amp did you use?

Very good question,

First i prefer to play with the rectifier...

2nd i prefer the l-600 over the l-500 (especially for power chords [pantera metallica...etc]) but i own both. I love the l-500 for clean with the neck pick-up and i admit it could be more adapted to play a "Steve Vai" style. Don't be fooled by what i say the l-500XL is more clear and crunchy[master volume crancked with medium gain] than l-600XL that i prefer for solo's and gainy sound.

If you like a clear sound go with bolted neck, if you want to keep a good attack, like one piece neck, get a custom guitar with a floyd rose laid on the body (like Eddie Van Halen).

If you like dark and bassy sound go with a one piece neck.

If you wanna get a strat guitar you better go with the single coil L-200 for a more traditionnal sould (could be very enjoyable with a Lonestar or stilletto ace).

I can't imagine the l-500C (neck) in a mark I!!!! It must be cool as hell.

I own the L-280, L280, L-290 set in my strat, one piece neck L-500R and L-500XL (with Q filter), 2 guitars (one piece neck) with a custom L-600 (8henry) a bolted neck guitar with a costum L-600XL (8.5 henry) with Q filter.

I just compared my emg's with the Bill Lawrence by playing 1 hour with the emg's 81,85 and one hour with the l-500XL...

...in term, it took 2 hour to decide that i just want Bill Lawrence pups in all my guitars!

:)
I like the 81, especially the 85 at the neck for solo with distortion BUT if you make the mistake to compare with Bill Lawrence you'll see there's a huge difference in the perspective of harmonic range. The Bill Lawrence is obviously superior to the active emg's when you play a clean.

I prefer Bill Lawrence over all other pups for versatility and the costumer's service is the best i ever saw with Becky Lawrence, they make you feel like you're in their family.

P.S. If you already own a LP i would tend to tell you to go with a set of EMG's (81 and 85) for heavy rock. That's the only exception IMHO BUT (again) if you like classic rock i would go with L-500L(bridge) and L500C(neck).

Hope you're satisfied with my answer! 8)

ThunderMonkey said:
I had a BL 500L in a mid 80's SG through my older 99 2 channel TR and it sounded KILLLAAA !
Chunky, midrangy with a big bite and huge growl ! 8)

:shock: I'm sure it's a kick *** set! :shock:

The L500XL is a really big pickup. It is just about as tall as the bridge pickup cavity in my strat. Its cover also makes it about 2mm wider than the space in the pickguard. Has anyone else run into these issues? Should I even bother trying to make the pickup fit- since it will only be a few millimeters from the strings at the lowest setting? If so, what are some good ways to enlarge the pickguard hole if you don't have access to many power tools?

I think I may just have to drop the BL in the Les Paul and pursue other tones with the strat... its just kind of frustrating, and I'd really rather not have my guitar routed deeper...

alex1fly said:
The L500XL is a really big pickup. It is just about as tall as the bridge pickup cavity in my strat. Its cover also makes it about 2mm wider than the space in the pickguard. Has anyone else run into these issues? Should I even bother trying to make the pickup fit- since it will only be a few millimeters from the strings at the lowest setting? If so, what are some good ways to enlarge the pickguard hole if you don't have access to many power tools?

I think I may just have to drop the BL in the Les Paul and pursue other tones with the strat... its just kind of frustrating, and I'd really rather not have my guitar routed deeper...

I personnaly prefer my L-500XL very close to the strings...for high output and more bass...i have a Q-filter whenever i want to decrease the impedance. You shouldn't mind about the pups being close to the strings. :wink:

Latest posts

Back