Beware of new Mesa's: Mesa QC sucks now I guess...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amps like cars and many other things are made up of hundreds if not thousands of parts. Hey, every now and then something slips through.

I remember growing up in the sixties and seventies, most things that you brought home had a little problem. Things are so much better now. Are we just getting spoiled. Mesa is a really special company. I am proud to be a mesa owner!
I know it sucks to get a new amp and it craps out. It happened to me. I have more than one amp though.

i got my RK I years ago abotu when it first came out. ive had several issues with it.

first there was no difference between vintage and modern. i sent it back they fixed

then the channels didnt switch i send it back (or to their authorized guy in nyc)

then the tranny was defective i sent it back for repair

then the el34 blew after they complmentary replaced during the channel switching repair

and now its wierd, only 2 tubes work in each prog. link setting. so if i have it set to like 2x el34 or 2x 6l6 i get no sound after a couple of seconds of sound. then if i set it to like 4 6l6 it doesnt sound like a 100 watt head bt more like my rectoverb 50 watt combo. hence i figure like 2 of the tubes dont work. it also sounds super boomy and bad all of a sudden.

im reall pissed off. the mesa repair guy in nyc is on vacation coming back aug 16th i mgonna raise hell.

other than that i havent had a problem with any mesa ive had (1998 DR (i sold a while ago), my current rectoverb (not one problem) and a 1994 mark iv (worls like a charm)

they are great guys there and they help out with anythign and back up their ****. problems happen, its important that they fix it

LUCRETIA said:
Platypus said:
Just using this board I've seen a trend in the last year of absolutely ridiculous problems..

1) I see a LSS with a blown 5Y3 rectifier tube thread about once a week
2) Express amps with jacked preamp tubes / random problems
3) RKII's with cracked preamp tubes
4) Roadster reverb issues / popping on rectifiers

What the hell is going on at Petaluma...?

I hope they're taking note of these threads...

you left out the Triaxis...
:D

Dont send your amp to hollywood,dealer or whatever f%&# for repair.
Call them and be firm that you want your amp in ther factory for repair and check up!

Im not calling any names but I know for sure that its a problem keeping up with the QC of mesa's tube suppliers . They have to constantly change suppliers when one of them gets slack . As you can imagine when you are buying that many tubes I bet its a pain in the *** to keep your eye on the quality you are importing . I would also send my amp back to petaluma to have the repair work done

Storm said:
I think the whole point is that crap like this shouldn't happen when you spend big $$$ on 'quality' equipment.

Ciao ...

Dam straight

cant play pool with a rop said:
Ya know sometimes I get the feeling that Mesa is becoming more like Gibson in the QC department.... :(

Been getting that feeling for a few years now

ursinus said:
Rich Longacre will be at the AT clinic on 8-11-07 at Rockit music. I am going to complain to him as well because I opened my Ace head before I turned it on and did find a couple of "iffy" solder joints where the OT leads connect to the main board. I touched them up and then put everything together and tested the crap out of the head. So far no problems, but I'm afraid of what might of happened if I had not inspected it first....... MY MKIV joints did not look like that and it isn't much older (2005')

Would not be the first time I have heard of bad solder joints. You are sure not the first!

Rabies, I feel your pain and i would stay on it until Im completely satisfied . I will say this, Im on the other end of the spectrum . Ive used mesa exclusively since 1980 and can only remember having one bad tube . Thats the honest truth . I guess there may be some luck involved but theres lots of very satisfied customers . Im a gigging player so my gear get bounced around in the back of a truck as well . Good luck to you . You layed down your cash , make sure you get satisfaction . Give them a chance to make it right .

I own alot of mesa gear and half of it is currently broke(rkII,f-50,rkI)
The only peice of mesa gear that I have that has never had a problem besides all my cabinets is my 2:90 which I bought 12 years ago.
Im sorry to say but I am losing all faith with mesa.

Either you have really bad luck, or you are not the kindest to your gear.

goneloco said:
I own alot of mesa gear and half of it is currently broke(rkII,f-50,rkI)
The only peice of mesa gear that I have that has never had a problem besides all my cabinets is my 2:90 which I bought 12 years ago.
Im sorry to say but I am losing all faith with mesa.

Glad to hear it . Ive been using their gear for 27 years now and they've always treated me very well . I felt like they would take care of you . I had a talk with someone within the company recently and i know for a fact that always have to stay on the *** of their tube suppliers to keep up the quality . They have to change suppliers every so often because of this . Lets face it ,they buy alot of tubes so i can imagine it must be a pain dealing with tube manafacturers all the time . Especially since they are all pretty much coming from overeseas ,. China, Russia , etc.. Im sure you know that tube making isnt exactly eviromently friendly . Anyhow glad the Deuce is kicking butt again . Love mine !

I expect you might have doing a bit of griping as well if you were taking your brand new amp back to be repaired like rabies . I didnt realize i was griping i was basically relaying some info on tube manafacturers that i was told . :roll:

Mesa manufactures complex/versatile amplifiers. There is no way a manufacturer can achieve 100% total quality. That is the goal to strive for, but it just isn't attainable. There are just too many variables from the beginning of the manufacturing process to the delivery of the unit. Rather than complain about their quality control, I would recommend you send it back and wait to see how they treat you. My guess is they will treat you as a valuable customer rather than a statistic.

FourthNorseman said:
Mesa manufactures complex/versatile amplifiers. There is no way a manufacturer can achieve 100% total quality. That is the goal to strive for, but it just isn't attainable. There are just too many variables from the beginning of the manufacturing process to the delivery of the unit. Rather than complain about their quality control, I would recommend you send it back and wait to see how they treat you. My guess is they will treat you as a valuable customer rather than a statistic.

Well put . Ive been to your hometown and did few gigs and took a dip in the Blue Lagoon . Hope to get back to Iceland one day .

This thread, and the thread where the guys Roadster had the diamond plate slide down and pinch off some controls, had me really, really worried.

Alas, my Mark IV has arrived and works like a charm.

so, I guess +1 to Mesa QC

Latest posts

Back