"Better" clean sounds. 34s or 84s?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

Reaction score
I have reluctantly decided to get rid of my Express 5:50 because of the never ending reliability problems I have had.

I am still not sure what to go for as a replacement.
I loved the clean sound of the 6l6s (when the thing actually worked!)

In reality, I will probably only use the amp at home so don't need bucket loads of power.
Which of the above valve (tube) types will give me the better clean sounds?
Also, any recommendations as to a replacement amp (not the 5:25 please!)

The EL34's will give you a better clean because there is more headroom. For best clean you do best with any 6L6 amp.

If money is not an issue, then the lonestars sounds like it might be up your alley in ways of distortion and clean.

If money is an issue, I would say take a look into the Used DC series or the F series.

Reg said:
I have reluctantly decided to get rid of my Express 5:50 because of the never ending reliability problems I have had.

I am still not sure what to go for as a replacement.
I loved the clean sound of the 6l6s (when the thing actually worked!)

In reality, I will probably only use the amp at home so don't need bucket loads of power.
Which of the above valve (tube) types will give me the better clean sounds?
Also, any recommendations as to a replacement amp (not the 5:25 please!)

if you like the sound of the 6l6's, stay with them. they're known for being the best tube for cleans. If you went to el84's (which are cool too) in your head you might be disapointed. I just got a 5:50 and am blown away. I'm sorry to hear you had a lot of problems. i hope I don't run in to this down the road. it is a new model so maybe some bugs. LSC isn't much more money and you can run 6l6's and el34's. Still I had a LSC and I like the 5:50 a lot better. I realy like the blues setting on the 5:50 and I can't remember being able to get that sound on the LSC. I think the contour on the 5:50 helps a lot. They should have that on the LSC too. Sorry to go off, stick with 6L6's for best cleans

Thanks guys. Unfortunately your advice just complicates matters a bit more for me.
Money is an issue obviously and I could just about stretch to a LSS although the clean sounds are probably going to be more important to me than the distorted.

Any other recommendations for amps?
Thanks

I guess we should also ask what type of music do you play. I would still have to say find a used DC5 or DC10, great cleans, great distortion if you are not looking for that over the top recto tone.

Reg said:
Thanks guys. Unfortunately your advice just complicates matters a bit more for me.
Money is an issue obviously and I could just about stretch to a LSS although the clean sounds are probably going to be more important to me than the distorted.

Any other recommendations for amps?
Thanks

I try (!) and play a lot of things.
Definitely not into metal but love things from U2, Oasis, Clash, Crowded House, Manic Street Preachers etc etc.
Quite varied as you can see

My vote would defintly go for a used DC5, great low gain to high gain crunch, but not over the top modern recto tone, but you can get close to it.

This amp also has a great clean channel, built in reverb and 5 band EQ that you can assign to either channel.

They run pretty cheap here in the USA, roughly the head sells between $550 and $650.

Reg said:
I try (!) and play a lot of things.
Definitely not into metal but love things from U2, Oasis, Clash, Crowded House, Manic Street Preachers etc etc.
Quite varied as you can see

read my post on th 5:50, that's the one for you IMHO. $1199 vs $1699 for the LSS. Check it out if you can.

jamme61 said:
read my post on th 5:50, that's the one for you IMHO. $1199 vs $1699 for the LSS. Check it out if you can.

Hi, that is the whole point. I've had 4 of these which have all been faulty so that's why I'm looking to change.
I am rather limited now to what I get as a replacement as 50 watts is more than enough power.

Reg, I'm sorry that you are skipping out on the Express, because I think it is probably the right choice for the styles that you play. However, given your experience, I don't blame you! I'd do the same!

For the music that you describe, I'd say that EL 84's are more up your alley than 34's. 84's have that chime most exemplified by the Vox AC30, and as a U2 fan, you know that Edge made his mark with that amp! So, with that in mind, I'd recommend a Lone Star Special. I know that it would be a bit more of a stretch for you financially, but that is one beautiful amp and you will love it.

When I was shopping for an amp, before I could try out the Express (I got the first 5:50 in my area!) I was really enamored with the ACE. That is a great amp, and for an EL 34-equipped beast, the cleans are superb, and the gain is very Marshall-ish! Not quite the headroom of 6L6's, but still very nice. The downside is the lack of reverb - that was the true deal-breaker for me. I tried some reverb pedals in the FX loop, but the sound just wasn't the same as a built-in tube-driven spring 'verb like the Express and the Lonestars have.

The recommendation for an older DC is good too. You might also look at something like a Blue Angel. That is a single-channel amp, but you can switch tubes, so you have some flexibility there. Also, the tone is just beautiful, and you can front it with a decent pedal and get your crunch or creamy overdrive from that.

Let us know what you decide?

Cheers,

Richt :D

Hi Richt, thanks for taking the time to offer so much good advice.
I'm going to take the Express back and then take a week or so to decide where to go from here.
I too, love reverb which is why I might pass on the Stilletto.

I'm definitely going to go for another new amp so I have the back up of a warranty should I need it (which I probably will!)

Thanks again,
Reg (it's my nickname - I wouldn't have spoken to my folks again if they'd given it me for real!)

Two bits of advice.

The output tubes alone have little (not nothing) to do with the final tone.

Let YOUR ears deide what kind of clean tone you want.

You may be surprised in what amp you find it. If you have a chance, go out to some local shops and play some amps. Turn em up. Check out what they can do. Twist some knobs. Play humbucker and single coil guitars through em. THEN look in the back and see what tubes are in them if you must know. But definitely note which speakers are in them, as speakers are a much larger component of an amps tone than output tube type.

Reg, I went through the same thing not long ago. I was lucky enough to have a Mesa Dealer who had quit a few to choose from. The best part was, he let me take two home at a time to compare.

I'm into the same music you are. I'm looking for great clean tone with a little overdrive and good crunch. When all was said and done, I went with the Lone Star Special. When I had the LSS and LSC sitting side by side at home, the crystal cleans of the 84's fit my music style more than the LSC. I finally realized I was trying to EQ the LSC to sound like the LSS. :? I can get that AC30 tone that I've always loved.

I know they cost more than you want to spend (I was looking to spend $1000) but, the way I look at it is, I now have the amp I really wanted. I would have not been satisfied if I had settled for a less expensive model.

By the way, I've seen some great deals on ebay for the LSS's in "Like New" condition.

Res

I'm contemplating selling my F-50 combo for a Stiletto Ace head. My F-50 has upgraded JJ tubes and a Jensen NEO 100 speaker instead of the C90. Amazing difference, to my ears.

I rarely use reverb so the Ace will work for me. Send me a PM if you have interest or email ltcore AT yahoo DOT com

Latest posts

Back