Best/Worst Mesa Dealer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweeked

Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to hear what everyone thinks are the best/worst mesa dealers.
Might help some folks find a great place or avoid a bad one.

One good thing about Guitar Center is that they have a 30 day return policy. I wouldn't buy any amp off the floor though. I have them order it and and leave it sealed and untouched till I pick it up at the store.

The best Mesa Dealer is about to be GOODTIME MUSIC in Streamwood IL. This place is all about guitars, basses, acoustics, PA and lights. the best luthier around and a handful of excellent guitar instructors.

2 Streamwood blvd, Streamwood IL
630 837 3733

ask for Pat.

Worst ... Y2BD but Guitar center is just too much of a playground. But I met a great Mesa tech there named Bill in the Lombard IL store get well soon Bill

There a lot of really good privately owned shops ill deal with. Hard to decide.

Worst? Thats easy. GC

Colorado?
Best = Wildwood Guitars. They have about one of everything in stock and can answer about any question you have.
Worst = Guitar Center. Their "inventory" usually consists of whatever molested dual rectifiers and express amps they have on the floor that all the emo kids abuse daily. High pressure, comission based sales tactics. My dog is more knowlegeable than their average employee.

ziehmrd said:
I wouldn't buy any amp off the floor though. I have them order it and and leave it sealed and untouched till I pick it up at the store.

Thats been a long running problem I've had with them. I always fight that anything thats been on display for all this time SHOULD qualify as "used". Think about it. Buy a used amp from a person who respected the amp and enjoyed it, vs (new at the store) at guitar center thats had a hundred people not give a second thought about turning if off properly and ect(bad treatment).

Ribboz said:
ziehmrd said:
I wouldn't buy any amp off the floor though. I have them order it and and leave it sealed and untouched till I pick it up at the store.

Thats been a long running problem I've had with them. I always fight that anything thats been on display for all this time SHOULD qualify as "used". Think about it. Buy a used amp from a person who respected the amp and enjoyed it, vs (new at the store) at guitar center thats had a hundred people not give a second thought about turning if off properly and ect(bad treatment).

I agree with this statement. I have seen some pretty bad things in GC before as far as hookups, kids playing things they shouldn't, guitars and amps getting treated very poorly. I'd rather pay more to get a packaged amp from M/B Hollywood or have a local store order it. Just too many bad variables go into buying a "floor model" of anything for me. Only thing I buy used now are effects (would buy a head used if it were need, off of someone here more than likely, but I'm good in that aspect :lol: ).

-AJH

Guitar Center Tacoma gets my vote for worst. I ordered a Blackstar boost from them. It came without an adapter. Come to find out that the adapter is so special that absolutely NOBODY carries it - nobody online, not Radio Shack, and of course, not Guitar Center. Called Tacoma back and told them what was up. Told them I'd like an adapter, and they said it wasn't part of the deal. I told them that they should have mentioned that it didn't come with an adapter since it's not the kind of pedal that can run on batteries. They didn't budge. I had to call Blackstar, who is overseas, and after 3 weeks I received an adapter free of charge.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Best Mesa dealer I've dealt with is Musicmakers of Austin. Absolutely no sales pressure - laid back, cool guys working there. Musicmakers has a nice room that carries lots of Mesa amps - and not just Rectos either! And you can shut the door and crank if you want.

I just visited my local Guitar Center.. lo and behold a ROADKING II sitting in the amp room for 2749.00 new. I put my purchases down.. grab a Les paul and plug in to play. This amp I have been waiting for a long time to sample it's LS clean... I plugged in and!!!!

Nothing...

I turn the RK2 around and notice first that all the channels are set to "A" speaker output but the speaker cab was plugged into the "B" output jack as well as that failsafe phone jack that saves your amp in case you forget to plug your cab to your head.. well both speaker cable and failsafe jack were plugged into B so of course there is no sound. What kind of store allows for this ignorance? Its like a car dealership putting it's most expensive car on the show room and the engine is all mis connected!

I fix that and finally get to hear this lonestar clean and I have to say I was very impressed with the LS clean.

I will never buy a floor model from GC but I was impressed that they had a RK2 there even if those morons there have no clue how to set it up.

Best:
Rainbow Guitars in Tucson. Denny plays Mesa and is very patient. Plus, their selection of guitars is freaking amazing!

Worst:
Bounty Music on Maui. The owner is a tool!
Mesa Hollywood. The most pompous assholes on the planet work there. Sorry if some of you guys work there, but some of the guys are real douche bags!

droptrd said:
There a lot of really good privately owned shops ill deal with. Hard to decide.

Worst? Thats easy. GC

You guys are nuts... GC is absolutely one of the best places to buy Mesa Boogie stuff (as long as you're not buying off the floor models, that is). Given that Mesa prices can't be discounted, GC is the only retail shop that will compensate for not being able to discount, by giving huge "deep dive discount" on anything else you're buying as a result of the Mesa purchase. Translation....if you're buying a Mark V, $2099 (but really wanted to pay $1999), you get that e.g. Line 6 M9 for $299 (or lower) instead of $399....so you got your Mesa discount indirectly.

Just don't buy Mesa stuff off the floor at GC and you're good :wink:

Best: Mesa Hollywood
Worst: Something Center. I was told a DC5 was $700.00 because it was "Vintage". Looked like it was drug upside down through the Holland Tunnel. It was also entertaining to see a 7 year old kid beat the hell out of a 10 top that they left on the floor, not a care in the world.

thats most music stores in general IMO. All these dudes with their rockstar garb on....meh

Monsta-Tone said:
Best:
Rainbow Guitars in Tucson. Denny plays Mesa and is very patient. Plus, their selection of guitars is freaking amazing!

Worst:
Bounty Music on Maui. The owner is a tool!
Mesa Hollywood. The most pompous assholes on the planet work there. Sorry if some of you guys work there, but some of the guys are real douche bags!

It is great to see Rainbow is still there. When I was on the road many years ago (around 1975 or 1976) in Tucson I stopped by and the store looked really narrow but when I got in the door the owner was amazing with his knowledge and selection of guitars he showed me. Three of the early strats he had were being setup and/or being repaired for Frank Zappa. I was able to look but not touch. Still, a great place way back when!

Dennis

Best:
Sweetwater .The best customer service ,they really take care of their customers.
Too bad they don't have a chain of stores that treat their customers this well.
If you know what you need,a great online store.

Worst:

Guitar Gallery Amherst NH

The owner is an arrogant know it all douchebag.I'm surprised Mesa puts up with this place.
Crap selection etc.So many great music stores around I can't understand why Mesa would subject
their customers to this kind of crap.Hopefully they will find a better dealer ASAP.

I only wish Guitar Center was the dealer here.My only complaint about them is the high turnover rate
of employees.Everytime I go in there there are new people.GC has been great as long as you have a working relationship with somebody in the store.Walking in cold seems to give the results mentioned in the previous comments.

Great suggestions from everyone!

I don't know who the best and worst are, but when I bought my Express I went to a local shop. The service was great and the amps well cared for but they had no return policy at all and when I pressed them for it, they offered store credit. I needed to hear the amp with my band before committing and had no use for that much store credit.

I went to Guitar Center, tried the shop worn POS on the floor and bought an amp that they had in a sealed box at another GC half an hour away. The salesman was happy to call around and setup that arrangement.

Back