best way to record the Mesa...Can anyone help a brotha out?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
If i was to record using an interface and protools, would i be able to record through the line out of my dual rec? The problem is i live in an apartment (loudness is an issue) and without a hot plate it makes the idea of recording by mic seem not worth it and impractical for my situation. I've heard that recording through the line out will make the recordings sound "bad" or "poor". Can anyone elaborate and is their a solution?

By the way, i rent out a practice space, and i should probably elaborate that i dont have all my equipment here. recording via mic wouldn 't be such a bad idea, except that i don't want to pack my dual rec and my 4x12 traditoinal up to my apartment (3rd floor by the way) and not be able to get a good sound out of it. anyway, i just wanted to clarify i'm not lazy ..well its just that ..They're heavy as hell!

Thanks
DHP

i just got an idea, is there a way to record the amp through the line out and use a program that will model a cab. From my understanding its that the reason it sounds poor, is that you want the sound of the amp through the cab. the preamp is not enough. I'd much rather use a computer oriented recording program, but i guess i could be an 8 track or a 4 track...they just seem like a pain though.

you can run the amp like normal and put it into a "dummy load." this is a cab simulator machine/program that accepts the output load from the output transformer. it allows you to record directly onto your computer. If you don't put a dummy load, you run the risk of blowing up the amp. one of these should cost anywhere from 150-500 dollars.

Thats a shame you have dual rec and can't mic it thru a cab.

IF your recording ITB you might as well just go in direct with your guitar "clean" and use a gtr amp modeling plug. :cry:
Recording thru the direct line out of the Dual rec is just going to give you that preamp sound (dry flat and fizzy) IF you can shut off the amp sections of the modeling plugin and just use the cab simulation, that might work out.
Tells us what happens.

Oh.. right... gotta connect up a speaker for that dummy load. If you don't you could fry things up a bit.

If you can use your dual rec and are able to mic the cab, just shove an SM57 at and call it a day. thats where the good stuff is going to come from.
A mic'ed cab. Tubes toasting and speakers pumping and crunching!

Pete

If you can, get a Palmer Speaker Simulator (ADIG-LGB400) and use that - you can turn everything up to 11 (if you want) without noise abatement notices and get a great recorded sound.

Back