Best way to control a Mark IV with a GCX?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolinja

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new MesaBoogie owner and new forum member, so hi! I became the proud owner of a Boogie Mark IV Medium head back in October (the previous owner said that its a IVB from the late 90s, however I have my doubts as it doesn't have the detachable power cord, so its probably an early B). I've spent a ton of time getting to know the amp on its own, and now I want to start integrating it into my mini rack.

I'm planning on controlling it with a GCX, and I'm wondering if anyone has figured out the optimal way to do it while minimizing the # of loops used? I need to be able to switch R1, R2, Lead and EQ. Don't need reverb or simulclass switching. I figure I need 4 loops to be sure, but some research has shown that I might be able to get away with 3? I've seen reference to setting a default channel (which I'd like to be R1), so that if the R2 and L jacks external switches are off, then it'll just switch back to R1. Is this possible? Then I'd only need 3 loops.

I've also seen some stuff about still leaving the footswitch selected, not external switching. I'm not sure how that affects the above. Most of the stuff out there online seems to be people trying to control their Mark IV w/ a Gmajor, which only has two relays, but very little on proper GCX setup. Also have seen a few things about risks of damage to the amp if this isn't set up right (and the possibility of getting left in some weird in between state where no channels are on). I'd like to get this right without any problems.

BTW, what happens if multiple channels are selected? The weakness of the GCX is that each loop is controlled by a CC, so I need to make sure that when switching from say R2 to L, I send one CC to turn off the R2 switch and another to turn on the L switch. What will happen if I get this wrong and accidentally get into a state where both are on?

Thanks all, any thoughts or help are greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Jason

Look into the RJM Music stuff... amp gizmo, RG-16, etc. They make custom cables for the Mark amps that allow you to use the one cable (mimics the footswitch cable) so you don't have to use any of the loop relays. If you get a mini-amp gizmo and the GCX you will be set. Look into it and see if that is your solve.

Getting a mini-amp gizmo or a used Axxess CFX4 would obviously be the most ideal, but this is more of a hobby rig than anything, so I was trying to not add any additional costs to it. If I needed all 4 GCX loops for now, that still would have been ok, just fewer loops for further expansion, and if I added enough other pedals in the future I'd need to move to the RJM/Axxess stuff.

For now, I've been able to get by with using on 2 GCX loops! I pretty much always use the EQ with Lead, and my Mark IV seems to default to this setting. So I'm just using two GCX loops, one for R1, another for R2. Then when they are both off I get Lead+EQ. It works this way by leaving the rear panel selector set to footswitch (not ex switching). Counterintuitive for sure, but thats what everyone online says they do, and it works!

Hope this helps anyone else attempting the same thing.

I had a GCX with my Mark IV as well as the GCP. I could never bring myself to run all those cables from the head to the GCX because it just seemed like such a clumsy way to do it. Eventually, I sold the the GCX and GCP and with the money I got for that, I bought an RJM Amp Gizmo and a TC Nova System. I did have to spring for the the cable though. Together, I use the Nova System to control the functions on the amp as well as effects. It's a great, simple, tidy rig. I think I paid $220 for the Gizmo and $330 for the Nova System that was supposed to be B-Stock. When it arrived it was clearly new.

Anyway, one cable from the amp to the Gizmo and programming the presets is so much easier: Set your channel, loop on/off, EQ on the amp, effects on the Nova, then hit the button on the Nova to send the PC to the Gizmo, then press and hold the button on the Gizmo till the LEDs flash. Done. No menus to navigate.

Dave

dolinja,

It would help if you also posted what other gear (pedals, racks, etc.) you are using with the Mark-IV.

It would also help if you listed all of the setting/configurations you are trying to achieve.

zeeman

zeeman said:
It would help if you also posted what other gear (pedals, racks, etc.) you are using with the Mark-IV.

Well, think my problem is basically solved, but in case anyone is interested here is my current state of gear for this rig:

* Mark IV Medium Head
* 2 x 12 Horizontal Recto cab
* GCX
* TC Electronics GMajor
* Crybaby Wah
* Ernie Ball volume pedal

My goal was to get this gear integrated, be able to pick from R1, R2, or Lead+EQ, and minimize the # of GCX loops being used. So this way, I've got two loops for Mark IV channel switching and one loop for the Gmajor. This stuff basically covers all the standard metal / rock / DT / Metallica style stuff that I play.

I've done it this way because I have plans to throw a few more pedal in the GCX, and if I didn't have enough room then I'd have to move to an amp gizmo sooner rather than later. As of now, I've got enough room for 5 more pedals. Currently I've got:

* Boss CH1
* Electric Mistress
* BK Butler Tube Driver

I'm hoping to set up some Gilmour style tones w/ the Tube Driver against R1 and the Mistress, and also some eric Johnson style tones w/ the Tube Driver against R2, just haven't had time for wiring it yet. Obviously the Mark IV is not the best base for those styles, but I think it'll work w/ the right combination of overdrivers (I've got a decent violin sound out of R2 with the Treble and Presence rolled completely down, and the Tube Driver boosting it). Nothing like a Plexi, but not bad for me.

Future plans are to throw in a compressor and Tube Screamer. Thinking about dropping the CH1 for a TC SCF as well.

@CudBucket

im planning to buy a miniamp gizmo together with my mesa boogie mark iva combo.. can you program the upper switches of the nova system to select channels while in preset mode?.. thanks

Hi guys, I have a MarkIV & just bought a GXC audio switcher & ground control (old style not the pro) & I am interested in the same thing. I just started tryng to hook it up to do channel & eq switching. So far not working quite right. I'm interested pointers also.

Hey there, I guess we have the same question that had been asked of me last week... How many functions do you need to switch on the Mark IV? And how many GCX loops will you have available? I needed to switch between R1, R2 and Lead+EQ, and I've been able to do this using only 2 loops on the GCX.

I use loops 7 and 8, and have a regular old instrument cable running from the out of Loop 7 to the R1 jack, and another running from the out of Loop 8 to the R2 jack. Then I've left the back dial set to footswitch (not external switching).

So here is the overall matrix of behavior:

Loop 7 on, Loop 8 off = R1
Loop 7 off, Loop 8 on = R2
Both loops off = Lead + EQ.

I've been very careful to set up my patches so that Loop 7 and Loop 8 are NEVER on at the same time. I believe this would try to switch R1 and R2 on at the same time, I've no idea what would happen.

Obviously if you want to give up more loops on teh GCX, you could start switching the EQ on and off, Simulclass On/Off. For me, I only use EQ with the Lead channel so its fine.

Latest posts

Back