Best tone-tubby hempcone for a D120?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamTone7

Reaction score
The title says it...wondering what the best tone-tubby hempcone is for a D120F...to be used in a MkIIa, 1x12 combo. Anybody have the scoop?

I'm confused. Are you reconing a D-120 with a hempcone? I'd rather try to find an original JBL cone or something close. You could always call A Brown Soun for suggestions.

Pablomago said:
I'm confused. Are you reconing a D-120 with a hempcone? I'd rather try to find an original JBL cone or something close. You could always call A Brown Soun for suggestions.

Yes...with a hempcone. I've got plenty of original JBL cones. The cone in one is shot and correct new kits haven't been available for years. I've posted this same question on their forum but have had no reponse for weeks...thought I'd try here. Just thought I'd see what kind of experience others might have had. I love the JBL/MkII combo for cleans, but the overdrive makes it sound like a nest of bees. I thought perhaps a hempcone might solve the issue.

I got 'cha now! Like I said, I'd call the guys at Tone Tubby/A Brown Soun and tell them what you're trying to do. They can help you out. Let us know how it works out. As much as I like JBL's for clean tones, I'm not crazy about them with distortion.

In my experience not being able to use JBL or Altec speakers because of the "nest of bees" distortion sound vs. the fabulous clean, has been easily solved by replacing the metal center dome or voice coil cover with a large paper type when reconing. Not too easy to remove the metal cover once it's been glued on though.

I have a wood/wicker black dot Mark III 60w combo w/reverb that I installed a JBL D131 in that Tone Tubby had kitted to D120 specs with their hemp cone and a metal dust cap. I think it's great - wouldn't change a thing - and I get a lot of compliments on it from listeners. I use a 1x12 Mesa thiele under the combo in larger venues or when I need a little more "deep", but the JBL has an excellent voice on its own.

Latest posts

Back