best small combo amp for portable rectifier tones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I've got a Roadster and love the tone. I'm wondering what the best and smallest combo amp would be to sound the closest to a Rectifier. i don't want something that will be too tight and make the Roadster sound too loose. :) I know Rectos are loose for the most part, but I don't need a super tight amp right next to it to remind me and make me want to sell it! I will be using the combo at home for stereo ping pong delay and just random messing around... BUT, the catch is that I want it to be small, portable, not too loud (usable master volume), not too heavy, and relatively inexpensive (under $900)... It will go with me to jam sessions while the Roadster will go with me to gigs and practice... Any ideas?

what about a used rectoverb? you could probably snag one of those for around your price range. might be a little too loud though.

I would second the rectoverb combo, but it probably is too loud and heavy for what you're looking for. If you can find an older Peavey Ultra Combo it will sound similar to the DR tone, and they can be had cheap. If you can, check out a Fender supersonic combo, they're $1200 new, but sound sweet at low volume. You can probably get an older maverick combo for under $900 as well, won't be the same as the roadster, but same family. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

+1 to the Spider... the Spider III is relatively new and lots of people on the Line 6 board talk about how it sounds better than the old Spiders. I just got the 30 watt Spider III as a practice/backup amp last week... I love it! The Mesa model sounds really, really good, at reasonable bedroom levels. I highly recommend it, as long as you can keep in mind that it is a modelling amp, solid state, and isn't supposed to sound and feel like a tube amp. I personally like having both tube and solid state. I do the same thing EQ wise to the Mesa model as I do with my Roadster... drop the gain a tad, drop the treble to 11ish, and boost the mids. Not too gainy, nice and full. It sounds amazing, responsive, chug-friendly, sweet singing lead tone (the Alnico 8 magnet I just put in my Pearly Gates probably helps with that). But I like it a lot, and the clean tone sounds good too.

200 bucks for the 30 watt one (smallest one you can use a footswitch with), 30 bucks for the footswitch, get free shipping from an online site. It will be heard over a drummer.

It just sucks because even the smaller Mesa combos are LOUD and you still have to crank them some to get good tone. I was pleasantly surprised with the Spider III 30 (again, it is solid state/modelling, but they are better for lighter/quieter purposes). Its only 20-30 pounds too... which rocks.

Starting at 75 watts you get all the artist presets, whatever, but if you just want to play then the 30 watt with its 4 channels is fine.

Lol JP I feel like I'm just telling you to buy everything that I have... not that thats a bad thing, right? :)

Well, actually, I used to have a Spider III 15 and loved it! I've been debating whether to get one again or not. I sold it to fund my thiele obsession, but now i'm over that and on to a little different sound. The little 15 was nicknamed 'little devil' coz it owned at a buddies house and sounded evil on the insane mode!! :twisted:

I might just grab a 30 and a footswitch and call it a day. The effects on board are a plus as well. Does the footswitch allow effect on/off? I'll have to do a little research and find out I guess! For the money, weight, features, and tone, you can't get much better...

The 30 dollar footswitch only lets you go through your channels, I think you have to upgrade to a pricey one before it will let you toggle effect on/off.

At practice yesterday using the Spider I found that Marshall channel cut best and sounding the most authentic when playing with a group, but the Mesa channel sounds too compressed and gainy sounding at the higher volumes. At lower volumes though I much prefer the Mesa model with the Marshall model sounding lifeless. Weird. It was the first practice with it, so YMMV, but maybe its not the best amp for portable recto tones at higher volumes. Mic it and maybe it would sound better, who knows... the Marshall mod did sound really good loud though. I'm not disappointed with it :)

So, I watched this video for the VOX AD30VT and pulled the trigger today.

http://www.gearwire.com/media/vox-ad30-vt.mov

I'll give a review once it comes in and i have a chance to put it through the ringer...

Thats sounds really good for a modeler
They're getting better and better....

Nice thread. I need to buy my son a tube amp but only want to spend about 700 or so. Considering the fact that his tone is serviced by MY NEW ROADSTER, I'm thinking about a SpiderValve 112 for him. On the other hand, I was VERY impressed with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12.. clean.. bassy.. power. Then I haven't had much luck with cheaper Crates but the white 30V higher end tubes they make sounds good albeit brittishy.

What high quality amps should I consider that are close to a deeper, darker tone like the Mesa line but around $700?

TIA :)

I would suggest trying to grab a Subway Rocket Reverb on ebay. (out of production) They go for about $400 and are Mesa quality in a light powerful box. 3 channels. Clean Lead and Contour. Very close to plug an play but with lots of options to dial in the sound you are looking for. Its very different than my Mark but no less an amp. The cleans are sparkly and the contour is a very dark sound with tons of sustain. When you shred on this setting the notes are very connected. I've never played a recto, so I can't compare the Subway to a recto, but my feeling is they are more alike than the Marks.

MusicManJP6 said:
So, I watched this video for the VOX AD30VT and pulled the trigger today.

http://www.gearwire.com/media/vox-ad30-vt.mov

I'll give a review once it comes in and i have a chance to put it through the ringer...

I actually have that amp as my practice amp. It isn't bad. I personally don't care for the recto module too much. The modern Marshall channel is what I usually leave mine set on for heavy stuff. But the amp has a great variety or tones and the effects aren't bad at all. You'll like it.

If you want a Mesa that is tiny and has killer distortion, get a DC-2.

It is only 20 watts, but still can get loud as hell. With the Contour on the Lead channel, you can have some serious distortion, and still have extremely nice cleans.

I just saw one on e-scam for $440 or so + shipping.

It is very light and portable and can sound in-freaking-credible at lower volumes.

I've owned 1, and now own the DC-3, which is a great amp too, but much louder than the DC-2.

I've also owned the Rectoverb, which is a great amp (actually thinking about another one), but it is very heavy.

All in all, I would say that the DC-2 is the best Mesa choice. It's cheap, small and sounds great.

Back