Best "small" amp clone/brother, for Mark I type to

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driss

Reaction score
I have a Mark I reisssue. I love it... But need to be turned wayyy up for the tone I want, which is creamy singing distortion (I play Fusion, Blues Rock, World/spanish/African music)
I am looking for a little Mark I clone brother (as far as that great Santana tone vibe it gives me), either in a boogie line or other . (something smaller, between 5 to 40 Watt)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I tried a Lone Star Special (LSS) a few weeks ago. I think I got pretty close to the tone of my Mk II with it. It has 4 power amp settings: 5, 15, 30 & 38 watts. I left it in the 5 watt mode when I was test driving.

Search for LSS in the Boogie Board.

the Special uses El84s only. The regular Lonestar uses 6L6s or EL34s, but you can't switch it down to 5 watts - you pick from 50 or 100 watts only.

But you get the "Tweed" switch like on the Mk I reissue, which makes it clip sooner. I don't know if you can use 6V6s. Have you tried a pair of 6V6s in your reissue?

Clip sooner with Tweed. Waow! I didn't know that. (I assume it is also the same with Tweed on MKI)
Can you please give me more insight on that.
Thanks for your help

I have not tried a Mk I reissue, but my understanding (this is from the Mk I manual http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark1%20Reissue.pdf ) is that the amp in "tweed" power mode lowers the plate voltage to the power tube. That, combined with the 100/60 watt switch in the "60" position yields about 40 watts of power for 6L6s. Now, you can subsitute 6V6s as power tubes but ONLY WHEN THE POWER SWITCH IS IN THE TWEED MODE. That way, when all 4 tubes are on with the wattage switch in the "100" position, you should get about 30 watts, and in the "60" position, you should get about 15 watts. Just don't use 6V6s unless the amp is running in the "tweed" mode. The power tubes will fail soon.

Thanks, I have read and memorized that manual...Trust me ;-)
the Tweed 60W position is still ver loud in my opinion, but that is what I am using right now in addition to a power attenuator. I have to have all volume knobs at 7 to get the tone I love...

Check out Carr amplifiers. I think they are made in Maryland - pretty expensive. They go down as low as 1/2 watt.

I too own a Mark I Reissue - what a gem of an amp. I love going through channel 2!!!

Carr amps, great stuff!

I seen / heard / read alot of boutique amplifications, Many have come and go (Holland, Hoffman, Kendricks don't produce amps on a regular basis anymore) Carr is one that stands out. :D

Maybe you could try an Epiphone Valve Jr. They are a Class 'A' 5 watt head or combo. I bet you could get some good tones running an Eq or overdrive upfront. Not a badly made amp in any respect. At $99 for the head or $140 for the combo you can't go too wrong plus it will be a lot lighter than your Mk I.

Back