Best pickups to use with the Electra Dyne?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWAKO

Reaction score
I picked up myself an Electra Dyne a few weeks ago and i have to admit it's hands down THE best amp i've owned or even played. I've already traveled with it and played a few shows, its been great. My only small issue is i get the lo and hi vintage channels sounding great but when switching to the clean it's very bassy and has a lack of presence and shimmering highs. Ive read the manual and i know full well that there will be some minor compromise between settings but this to me is a little drastic. Conversely if i eq it to get a great clean tone the gain modes contain too much highs. I've also read that the Electra reacts very differently to different pickups and guitars and it's a matter of finding the appropriate guitar/pickups for the Electra Dyne to react properly. I uses Michael Kelly guitars (incredible guitars, especially for the price). My Patriot Black is my current main axe with Rockfield Fat A$$ pickups in it. Which sound great both distorted amd clean when eq'ed for that sound. I Also have a Patriot Custom and Vex Deluxe which have Rockfield SWC pickups (patriot) and RF Black Betty pickups (Vex). i havent spent much time with them and the ED, but the Patriot Black i have. I can picture the SWC's handling it better but i was wondering if there was anyone out there who have seemed to find a winning combination thar excels in all 3 modes i could drop in my Patriot Black since i prefer its feel? Thanks!

Kalen

DWAKO said:
I picked up myself an Electra Dyne a few weeks ago and i have to admit it's hands down THE best amp i've owned or even played. I've already traveled with it and played a few shows, its been great. My only small issue is i get the lo and hi vintage channels sounding great but when switching to the clean it's very bassy and has a lack of presence and shimmering highs. Ive read the manual and i know full well that there will be some minor compromise between settings but this to me is a little drastic. Conversely if i eq it to get a great clean tone the gain modes contain too much highs. I've also read that the Electra reacts very differently to different pickups and guitars and it's a matter of finding the appropriate guitar/pickups for the Electra Dyne to react properly. I uses Michael Kelly guitars (incredible guitars, especially for the price). My Patriot Black is my current main axe with Rockfield Fat A$$ pickups in it. Which sound great both distorted amd clean when eq'ed for that sound. I Also have a Patriot Custom and Vex Deluxe which have Rockfield SWC pickups (patriot) and RF Black Betty pickups (Vex). i havent spent much time with them and the ED, but the Patriot Black i have. I can picture the SWC's handling it better but i was wondering if there was anyone out there who have seemed to find a winning combination thar excels in all 3 modes i could drop in my Patriot Black since i prefer its feel? Thanks!

Kalen

i only play gibson les pauls. ive played duncan jb's, gibson burstbucker 3's, gibson 490Rs, gibson 57 classics, and a dimarzio super distortion and they all sound great with all 3 modes on the ED

Jason Lollar mini humbuckers in my Firebird V and Fralin P90s in
my Les Paul.
I love the response and tone this amp gives with the V30s of my
combo or into my 4x12 cab.

I've always liked dimarzio's stuff and the super distortion has always interested me, I've previously owned a D Sonic and an X2N. Both great pickups. JB59's are always a safe route, I've never tried P90's of any kind, but they have always sparked my attention. It may be something worth looking into.

Ive heard P90's are a happy medium between humbuckers and single coils. Is this true? If so this really sparks my interest, because I've always thought single coils were a little bright and lacked lows, and that humbuckers weren't articulate enough. Hmmm...

my Les Paul.
my Les Paul.
combo or into my 4x12 cab

Not trying to hijack the tread but I have a Firebird V and was thinking about getting the Lollar minihumbuckers. How do you like them in comparison to the original Firebird pickups and how do they handle overdrive/distortion tones? I am currently using a Mark V.

Drahthaar said:
my Les Paul.
my Les Paul.
combo or into my 4x12 cab

Not trying to hijack the tread but I have a Firebird V and was thinking about getting the Lollar minihumbuckers. How do you like them in comparison to the original Firebird pickups and how do they handle overdrive/distortion tones? I am currently using a Mark V.

No comparison !!!!!!

I almost sold my 'bird a few times before I swapped pickups for
Jason's. I get warm, bell like cleans and great p90 ish growl.
The stockers were waaaaaaaay too harsh for me. YMMV.

E-mail or phone Jason....he's a cool, knowledgeable guy to talk to.

The ED has been very kind to every guitar I have ever played with- My 3120 has a DiM PAF Pro and D-Sonic, my 1770 has IBZ USAs and my PRS is all singles- all smoke with the ED

It sounds great with all my MM guitars. The Axis Super Sport with humbuckers and P90s and JP with humbuckers.

Well my next band practice I tuned up my Michael Kelly Patriot Custom with SWC's and the difference was amazing. The cleans sounded phenomenal along with the higher gain settings, I didn't feel like I was having to sacrifice anything between the 3 modes. I guess it'll move to main axe position, the Fat A$$ pickups sound good dirty and probably sound great clean but they just need to be eq'ed way differently. I'll just move my Patriot Black to my Drop C guitar position, and the Custom for my drop D.

DWAKO said:
Ive heard P90's are a happy medium between humbuckers and single coils. Is this true? If so this really sparks my interest, because I've always thought single coils were a little bright and lacked lows, and that humbuckers weren't articulate enough. Hmmm...

The Bareknuckle Rebel Yells I just installed in my Les Paul have that added articulation. They are scatter wound by hand so there is a slight mismatch between the coils, which allows more harmonics to sound. The result is a brighter and more articulate pickup!

Back