Best pedal for mid boosted leads?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsabo

Reaction score
Hey dudes

I'm currently playing a Les Paul into an express 5:50 2x12 and am using a fulltone OCD on the clean channel (kinda like the spankin' clean settings in the factory examples, but re-eqed.)

I want to have this for my blues rhythm sound, as the OCD doesn't have a huge midrange hump, and leaves my amp's eq largely unaltered.

I'm wondering what a good pedal is to stomp in on top of it for midrange + slight gain boost + volume boost? I'm currently using my friends TS-9 and I really am not crazy about the results. Frankly, its almost like there's TOO much midrange hump. I've been considering Analogman's TS9 silver mod that reduces the midrange hump a bit and adds bass.

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

A boost like a Boss GE-7 may be worth trying. I use one sometimes when I want a clean boost. You also get the benifit of being able to shape the tone if need be. I have also used it with a TS-9 to pull the mids back.

Should I be concerned about tone sucking from a boss pedal? Concerned about true bypass..

The GE-7 is a good sounding pedal, just a little bit noisy in standard form. Mine has the Allums mods which quietens it. As far as the bypass goes, I have done some listening tests and think that I can probably hear a very slight difference with it in and not in. There was certainly no difference I care about.

If you are worried about Boss pedals there are other choices like the MXR EQ which may be better.

The neat thing about the eq is that you can shape the midrange any way you want. You can do things boost a little at 400hz and pull out a little at 800hz and then boost a little up at 3 or 6khz to add some sparkle or air.

http://www.This1smyne.com

This guy has some very good gear, very small footprint, awesome guy, very reasonable prices, all hand made. I purchased a clean boost with tone control and should be here in a couple weeks. Here's a link to the unit and check out his other gear: http://www.this1smyne.com/product_list/products/t1m-booster/ This pedal has a built-in buffer but obviously has to be on. He also makes a tiny buffer that can be placed in front of your pedals and should help correct tone sucking, non true bypass pedals.

jsabo said:
Should I be concerned about tone sucking from a boss pedal? Concerned about true bypass..

Allums modded GE7, get the Plus kit. Best one yet, then put it in the fx loop to bash your power tubes for some clean punch. Clean, powerful, hi-fi, awesome.

I found a Analogman TS9-DX on ebay for about $100 bucks, best tube screamer I've ever had, and the modes will give you the option of selecting various amoutns of lowmid gain. Or get an Allums "Stacked" modded BD2. WOW!

jsabo said:
Hey dudes

I'm currently playing a Les Paul into an express 5:50 2x12 and am using a fulltone OCD on the clean channel (kinda like the spankin' clean settings in the factory examples, but re-eqed.)

I want to have this for my blues rhythm sound, as the OCD doesn't have a huge midrange hump, and leaves my amp's eq largely unaltered.

I'm wondering what a good pedal is to stomp in on top of it for midrange + slight gain boost + volume boost? I'm currently using my friends TS-9 and I really am not crazy about the results. Frankly, its almost like there's TOO much midrange hump. I've been considering Analogman's TS9 silver mod that reduces the midrange hump a bit and adds bass.

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I have an Analogman Maxon silver modded TS-9 and find it the best booster I've ever heard for the 5:50's burn channel & with both and OCD and Crunchbox. Not too middy to my tastes. I own all these pedals. THe Analogman silver mod'ed Maxon TS-9 is THE best tubescreamer I've ever heard

Also great is a good EQ pedal for mid boosting but it won't give you more gain. If you go for an EQ pedal the MXR 10-band and 6-band pedals are much better than the GE-7 imo

The MXR eq's are better than the stock GE7, yes.

The 6 band I like better because it is passive in the sense that it doesn't have any seperate gain slider. The 10 band can be noisy (this is highly debated, mine was noisy even after a sniper mod) if you use the gain sliders (input and output gain sliders on it) to boost the signal. I had both, and sold both after I modded the GE7. But a player really just has to try them and keep the one that is your sound....... as with most guitar gear. Maybe I did not respond well to it because I used it in the fx loop?

Back