Best pedal for mid boosted leads?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsabo

Reaction score
Hey dudes

I'm currently playing a Les Paul into an express 5:50 2x12 and am using a fulltone OCD on the clean channel (kinda like the spankin' clean settings in the factory examples, but re-eqed.)

I want to have this for my blues rhythm sound, as the OCD doesn't have a huge midrange hump, and leaves my amp's eq largely unaltered.

I'm wondering what a good pedal is to stomp in on top of it for midrange + slight gain boost + volume boost? I'm currently using my friends TS-9 and I really am not crazy about the results. Frankly, its almost like theres TOO much midrange hump. I've been considering Analogman's TS9 silver mod that reduces the midrange hump a bit and adds bass.

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

RAT.

Really.

Set the distortion to 9-10 o'clock, and the filter and volume to 3-5 o'clock, and it's a better overdrive pedal than most overdrive pedals.

Might try a GEQ pedal in front of the OCD with the mids bumped up and overall gain set to taste. For greater volume boost put it after the OCD.

Suhr Koko boost. It does exactly what you want. It has a clean boost side which cascades into a mid boost with three selectable frequencies. It's a magic box that makes anything sound better.

94Tremoverb said:
RAT.

Really.

Set the distortion to 9-10 o'clock, and the filter and volume to 3-5 o'clock, and it's a better overdrive pedal than most overdrive pedals.
I agree. The RAT is kinda middle ground for mid humps. The Timmy is the ultimate though IMO. You can dial back the bass and treble to get just the right amount of mids you need. Its cool

simple, cheap but IMHO excellent solution
lpb-1.jpg

I do not know whether this will work for the sound you want or not, but I think it would be worth a try. For a solo boost I use a Rocktron Nitro pedal. It is basically a clean boost with one knob for boost volume. But this pedal goes a bit further. It automatically adds upper mid boost and (of most importance to me) a fair amount of "soft knee" compression. The single knob controls only the gain/volume boost. The other features are pre-set. When used on the clean channel, I find that it makes my solos stand out and gives me more clean sustain. When I use it on the lead channel (tube overdrive) I find that it does these things, plus adding to the amount of overdrive and cleaning it up a bit at the same time. A lot of gain/volume boost is available with this thing. I generally use mine with the knob set only on 9:00 o'clock to get the boost I need.

This is not a bells and whistles pedal. It just does what it does, and is very musically usable.

One problem is finding one. I bought mine at a little music store and it was the only one they had. I don't see any on the GC, MF, or Sweetwater sites. I did google Rocktron and called them and it was confirmed that they are still being made and sold. So if this description interests you, google and call Rocktron and perhaps they can tell you where to go to try one.

I just got an older Boss SD-1, which works fantastically well with my Tremoverb - still very mid-boosted, but not as boxy as the Tube Screamer types can be (in my opinion). It really brings out the chunk and harmonics.

http://www.9mileguitar.com/product.sc?productId=415&categoryId=2

This is a link for a seller of the Rocktron Nitro I mentioned. At $39.95, it's too good to pass up.

Back