Best pedal for mark iv

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creative

Reaction score
HI, i have boss gt8 in front of mark iv,it sounds great at low volume,but on hi volume is not clear. I want a pedal or overdrive or preamp to give me defined sound on hi volume. help me!!!! :?

No offense, but you don't purchase a MarkIV to run a digital COSM modeler in front of it.. the mark has practically every tone that unit attempts to copy built right into it.

What do you mean it is not 'clear' at high volumes? As in you lose some shred/thrash to the sound? You're used to preamp distortion at low volumes and what you're probably hearing is your post amp kicking in, smoothing out and warming up the tone. You'll find that you'll want to change your knobs around for higher volumes in the EQ to keep the tone you hear at low volumes, at least in my experience.

If you want the best advice, ditch the Boss and use your tube amp like it was meant to. Even though you DONT need it, you might try a stomp box overdrive or boost to tighten up the sound but I cannot imagine a scenario where that's needed with a Mark IV. :idea:

maybe is something wrong in may mark iv!? when i play on lead chanel on drum volume i cant play because there is too much microphonics. is five month old. this issue (or not) is from first day. because of this i use gt8. i tried whit eq on gt8 but is stil too harsh and not defined. :(

Too much microphonics? You just don't know how to dial it in thats all. Some people get a kick *** tone right when they get it some can't get one for years. I find it really awkward that you would need an overdrive pedal for this beast. Read the manual for each knob and then get your own tone. Don't put too much Lead Gain, Drive, and Presence but just enough to your taste. You don't need a pedal

You shouldn't need any pedal out in front unless you are using the Lead channel as a rhythm channel and just want a little more to push you over the top and get you out front. There should be plenty in your Mark IV to get over drums already. I suggest that you turn down the lead gain and presence a little and add some mids. It is usually a lack of mids that keeps you squashed sounding and keeps your tone from being heard. As you get louder the mids are more important especially in a band setting. More often than not people try to use too much gain and use too scooped of a sound. That sounds great at low volumes by yourself but you will find that if you are playing in a band that you will disappear in the mix if you are not playing clearly enough and properly positioned in your sonic register.

I tried now all knobs on 5 and still microphonics and reciving "radio arabia", on clean chanel too. On low-mid volume soud great. i love my mark iv. in the past i was owner of dual rect,triaxsis and 2:90,f50 and mark2b. mark iv it has great sound,but on hi volume....... :cry:

When was the last time it was retubed? How old is the amp? Is it getting ready to be time for some maintenance? I remember having some old Marshalls that got radio. They just needed some refreshing. Typically, if you have regular maintainenance done on your amp you won't get that.

Also, check out your guitar's shielding and pickups. I am sure that you know about htese things but also check out your physical position to the amp.

I think the simplest thing is to just take it in for a check up. How long have you had the amp? Was the previous owner good about the maintenance?

Is 5 month old,i use new ibanez rgt3020 and planet waves cables for guitar not speaker. i am not new on amps,and playing for 11years first time have a issue!! i cant find the problem :(

Sorry about missing the line about 5 months old. I think that you might try some swapping through a known good preamp tube though. This will at least let you know if your tubes are good. Microphonics tend to come from preamp tubes. There is a lot going on with the preamp circuit on these amps. It only takes one to cause the cascading gain to get ugly. It is very possible that though your amp is only 5 months old that you have a bad preamp tube. You can also try the old pencil tap test too if you do not have a spare preamp tube.

If you are looking for more definition I would almost say to try a compressor but the Mark IV already sounds a bit compressed naturally. A boost will just make the sound you are making a little louder or your signal a little stronger. Mark IV's tendency to not like OD's as much as other amps makes this decision a little tougher than would be in selection. It might actually be your GT-8 that is causing your issues here too depending upon your setup and your settings.

I think I would try to get the amp sounding good first then slowly add things back until you find the culprit.

My father once told me (well, more than once....)....

"If all else fails, read the manual..."

hey you should have a go of pluging your boss gt8 thought the Fx loop and turn all the distortions off and amp models..and use it just for delay's,chorus and phasers and stuff..

you shouldn't need any other gain driven pedals infornt of your amp as it has the prefect amount of gain..

My friend tell me that i must put tung-sol 12ax7 v1,2,3,4,5. and tung-sol 5881,and no microphonic or hum will be anymore.....i am not shure about that!? :? anyone tried them?

I solved my problem of reciving radiostations. just replaced whit new guitar cable!!! :D

Shep said:
hey you should have a go of pluging your boss gt8 thought the Fx loop and turn all the distortions off and amp models..and use it just for delay's,chorus and phasers and stuff..

you shouldn't need any other gain driven pedals infornt of your amp as it has the prefect amount of gain..

Would that be better? I was curious about this too...I use a gt-3 (just for delay, chorus, noise supression, and compression...no overdrive, or amp models.) My Rectoverb loop sucks, and I never got the mod done, so I just run it straight in at lower levels. And since I'm soon to be using the MArk IV I was wondering what the best option to take with the multi effects processor is, loop? or straight in?

Back