best passives for shred

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex1fly

Reaction score
What are the best pickups for getting badass chunky tone for shred type rhythm playing out of an alder strat? Any brand will do... my particular guitar has a rosewood board and my amp is a Roadster.

I play with a guy who believe it or not uses Noiseless Fender Strat pickups and shreds like the blazes.
'Course, he's got much better technique than me so I'm impressed with his whole thing, sound included.
He seems to have no trouble matching my tone with a bridge humbucker (Rio Grande BBQ) on my strat through my Mark I.
I wouldn't try to pass myself off as a shredder, but the sound is there.

Sometimes there's three of us chunking throwdown rhythms with matched tones like a guitar army. All on completely different rigs, but I'm amazed with the sound of his sunburst (alder) Deluxe Strat w rosewood board (s/s/s). DEFINITELY chunky, and more overtone harmonics than I would ever have thought possible with Noiseless Fenders!

Haha, I just sold off my Fender Noiseless pickups... but it definitely sounds like that guy's got the technique to do whatever he wants. I don't really have those kinds of chops, I just like to play some rhythm shred every once in a while. Plus I need a Fat Strat to compliment my vintage strat!

i'd say try the Bill Lawrence 500 series..

the 500XL, and the 500L

I do have an L-500XL lying around; I haven't installed it because its too big for the pickguard (nothing a little sandpaper can't fix) and it will be VERY close to the strings... also, I'm just trying to get some suggestions so that hopefully I can just pop one in and have it rock- with over 15 pickup swaps in the past three months I'm getting a little weary of soldering :) :)

I should add that this guitar will be used for bedroom jamming, not live use, just in case that affects anyone's suggestions.

Has anyone used a SD Full Shred?

I think Your decision depends also on the type of shred You intend play. For example, Malmsteen and Petrucci are both prime examples of shredders, but their tones and styles are completely different. Which style are You leaning towards? I bet those Fender Noiseless pickups are great for that smooth Malmsteen lead sound.

No such thing as a best, what is best for you is up to you.

Rocky said:
No such thing as a best, what is best for you is up to you.

Yes, and it depends on the amp too. My Rio Grande BBQ works great with my Mark I in its present guitar, but spent years in my parts bin too, before I got my Mark and needed a bit less high end freqs. I usually go for highs always, and may again if I install a Beam Blocker.

Crimson_Jonny said:
I think Your decision depends also on the type of shred You intend play. For example, Malmsteen and Petrucci are both prime examples of shredders, but their tones and styles are completely different. Which style are You leaning towards? I bet those Fender Noiseless pickups are great for that smooth Malmsteen lead sound.

I have Pearly Gates in a Les Paul, SD singles in a strat, so I'm just looking to round out my tone spectrum with this remaining strat. The tone I'm chasing is a fat, chunky tone that sounds great for rhythm palm muted playing, not solo playing so much. The kind of tone that you hear on post-hardcore/screamo records... Over It, Coheed, Atreyu, Emery, Funeral For A Friend, A Static Lullaby, My Chemical Romance, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Bleed The Dream, tones that cut through the mix when you PM as well as when you hit the strings pretty hard. Kerry Roberts, the lead player for Funeral For A Friend, has basically the tone I'd like to get close to on their album Hours... he uses a PRS and has mad technique but if there's any way I can get *remotely* close to that tone with a Roadster, boost pedal and an alder strat please let me know!

Here's a music video of theirs on youtube; the intro is a pretty good representation of the tone I'm after.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bej4EzlbcVw

I see what You mean. That sounds like a very bright and in your face kind of sound with a lot of bite and presence. I really don't think the Lawrence would suit that style. I had a Lawrence pickup and it was bright but too jangly sounding with the strings. Not the sound You are after. You might want to look into a George Lynch Screamin' Demon actually. I had one for a while and thats what immediately came to mind when I heard that song. Very crisp sound with tons of presence.

Crimson_Jonny said:
I see what You mean. That sounds like a very bright and in your face kind of sound with a lot of bite and presence. I really don't think the Lawrence would suit that style. I had a Lawrence pickup and it was bright but too jangly sounding with the strings. Not the sound You are after. You might want to look into a George Lynch Screamin' Demon actually. I had one for a while and thats what immediately came to mind when I heard that song. Very crisp sound with tons of presence.

Hmm, I'll look into it... the Screamin Demon has been one of those pickups that I've wanted to try but kept getting pushed to the bottom of the list :/

Its description does seem to match what I want; crisp, growly, percussive, big :) and it doesn't sound too jangly (in a strat that is)?

Seriously look into one. I think that will give You the tone that You're searching for. I'm actually really wanting another one. I just ended up selling the guitar that had it, but I would have liked to have kept that pickup!

****, now I'm in another dilemma because I've started GASing for a JB... I guess 3 guitars just aren't enough :lol:

I really don't think the Lawrence would suit that style. I had a Lawrence pickup and it was bright but too jangly sounding with the strings

well, the great thing about wiring pickups is, all you have to do is load it correctly, and you can get **** near any tone out of it you want.

now, if you do something silly like wire a lawrence up to a vol pot and run with it, without any loading, it'll be super bright (depending on the model and where you put it-bridge or neck or middle), because it's so much more full range than the typical off the shelf pickup.

but loaded properly (and this can take some experimentation, but is well worth it) you can totally dial it in.

lower value pots..
same for tone knobs...

it all plays part.

the brightness can really pay off, if you have an ultra rich darker-flavored amp sound (think diesel or bogner shiva, that kind of thing) and the lawrence 500XL will cut thru all that high gain porridge.

i mean, he did say 'shred'.

i play a 500L thru my vintage mark2b boogie, and it's never too bright.

on clean, and bridge, yeah, it's bright...
but with the lead channel, and a good pedal pushing that even, it's perfect.

ok, a little info from the lawrence bbs:

L-500's (hard core, hi Q, blades, 15mm magnetic window). From February 2005: due to the unavailability of the ceramic magnets, a new circuit was designed using alnico V magnets, delivering the same sound.

The L-500 is a blade-style humbucker that can be retrofitted in both full-size humbucker and P-90/P-100 routs (see Dimensions post below)! The blades are 56mm/2.205" long, and will accommodate the string spacing of all known 6-string bridges (remember that the bridge pickup is not mounted at the saddles!).

L-500's are designed to deliver as much output passively whilst maintaining clarity and without sterility. If even higher output is required, EMG active pickups are recommended.

To deliver great tonal flexibility, the lead/bridge versions (L & XL) especially are recommended to be used in conjunction with the Q-Filter.

The L-500 comes in four versions:
C = 2.8 Henry
R = 4.8 Henry
L = 6.8 Henry
XL = 9.2 Henry

The XL requires at least 500K pots, whereas the other 500’s can be used with 250K or 500K pots (all audio taper).

All 500's are extremely loud and therefore don't really mix well with other pickups. The XL without the load of the controls is ear-piercingly bright, but with a 500 kilo ohm pot loses about 50 percent of the higher end. With the EQ Filter [(Q-Filter)], you can gradually [effectively] reduce the inductance of the XL and get a tremendous variety of sounds.

The L with 250K pots is tonally voiced very similarly to the XL with 500K pots, but there’s not quite as much “punch”. And if you employ a Q-Filter, there’s not as much bandwidth to operate on, which means that the tonal variation that can be achieved is not as extensive as for the XL.

more:
http://p082.ezboard.com/fguitarsbyfenderfrm8.showMessage?topicID=301.topic

that Q filter is cool as ****.

i've got it on my custom strat....

i can dial it all the way down, and with a clean amp, almost sounds like an acoustic guitar.

Is the Roadster a darker amp? I guess I should know the natural EQ of my own amp... all I've read is that Roadsters/rectos have a lot of lower mids.

Latest posts

Back