best passives for shred

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you named Coheed and Atreyu and both of them use EMG pickups. Claudio has EMG's installed in most of his explorers and some of the others are just stock. Atreyu has EMG's in their signature ESP and LTD guitars. None of those bands I would consider shred though. Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, Malmsteen. They are shred and they all use passive pickups. If you are looking for a great chunky metal sound EMG's are what most people use. I personally feel like my chunky metal sound isn't lacking at all and I use a Seymour Duncan Custom pickup. It's like a '59 but with more output. Your strings (heavier gauge) and equalization will really help with a good heavy rhythm sound like you are describing. Of course there are some pickups that just turn muddy not matter how much your equalize.

The only Strat pickups I can recommend is the Fender ´69 which are passive but with the right amp shred tones are possible.

Latest posts

Back