Best Overdrives and Boosts for Rectifiers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used the Klon, but replaced it with the Xotic BB Preamp. It is true bypass and has a superb clean boost and an additional overdrive circuit.
It can drive an amps clean channel soft or over the edge. It also has a Treble and Bass control. There's also no mid range boost or hump. I recently used it on my IIC+'s on the clean channel and it's a fat, agressive lead tone with the boost maxed and the gain at 3/4. On the RK II I used it on the brit and it turned it into a Marshall shred machine. It was instant Yngwie, or Stiletto.

I also have a Maxon built TS-9 I modded to 808 specs with a 1981 JRC 4558 op amp. It's a good boost as well as the Boss SD-1, but I find they both tend to suck tone out. The BB is totally transparent and does not lower your volume when engaging. The only other boost I really like is the boost function on the TC Electronics SCF. It's very clean and effective, but not over the top. On the DR I will boost the level to give the amp extra drive or just to add some juice to a stereo setup with longer cable runs. It's very effective.

Thanks I really like the BB. I think im going to get it. I was also thinking about the Fulltone OCD.

What do you think about the Zendrive? I also wan't something for the Santana tone.
I plan on getting a Roadster or Road King II.

I have not gotten my hands on the Zendrive, but from what I am told it is like a Dumble in a box. I am more of a cord to amp player, but if the effect if well designed and transparent I am not opposed to using it.
I had the Klon for a few years and tripled my purchase value, but I don't miss it with the BB. I also tried the Z-Vex SHO, and slammed it on E-Bay after a week.

A good friend of mine owns a music store in Upstate NY that specializes in boutique pedals. He has basically every pedal you can imagine. I just picked up the Copper BB and a DiMarzio D-Sonic for my JPMM. He is the fastest shipper on earth and his prices are excellent. I am not spamming, but I have know this guy since 1986 and he has always treated me like family.

If you want, check him out. It's just him and his brother and they run the whole show human being style.

www.stevesmusiccenter.com

Thanks. I will make my next purchase from them.
Too band they have the BB out of stock.

Sounds like you've made your decision.
Nevertheless I will put in a plug for the MAXON OVERDRIVE PRO (820). Everything they say on the website is true (rare in these days of excessive marketing).
This pedal puts a smile on my face when used with my Roadster.

Using strictly the boost on an already distorted amp can be accomplished with quite a few decently priced pedals. The most impressive for me with the BB was the true bypass and zero volume drop when engaged. The fact that it can also behave like a Metal Zone is a pleasing side effect.
I even enjoy the DOD YJM 308. Even on a fully cranked Marshall using my Yngwie strat it came nowhere near his tone. It was still a good clean boost. When I saw him live he used three 1970's Marshall 50 watters cranked and the DOD 250. His tone was HUGE !!! Mine in the long run, sucked.

I am just in awe how the BB handles humbuckers and single coils with ease. Being that Rectos and high gain Boogies tend to have too much bass, you can dial it down, up the boost and just shred.

I run the Boss Blues driver in front of my Recto and love it. I crank the level on it, run the gain way low, and tweak the tone knob to make it as transparent as possible. It really tightens things up without thinning out. It's cheap too...

Back