Best overdrive for rhythm?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicbox

Reaction score
Lookin for somethign along the lines of a tubescreamer, or a keeley modded bluesdriver? Add some chunk and grit to amp on the edge of breakup. Maybe a voodoo labs sparkledrive? Anyone have any ideas? looking for somethign thatll hold up under rhythm playing, as I have a HAO for the lead...

Personally, I think the natural overdrive of my Road King tops any pedal. If you can't get the grind you want at manageable volumes, I suggest using a hot plate power soak so you can run those power tubes hot!

Boogies beat pedals.

RB

Red...there are players much better than you and I that use pedals such as the ZW-44 or Boss overdrives (Satch, Wylde, Vai to name a few). I listened to my buddy (a Mesa tone snob) plug the ZW-44 in front of a Marshall Plexi and it was outstanding. The overdrive pushed out an aggressiveness that could not be gotten from the pre-amp stage of the amp. Sort of a pre-pre-amp......BTW I bought one for my ROV...

Red Barchetta said:
Personally, I think the natural overdrive of my Road King tops any pedal. If you can't get the grind you want at manageable volumes, I suggest using a hot plate power soak so you can run those power tubes hot!

Boogies beat pedals.

RB

Has anyone used the "Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator"? It's made by T.C. Jaurnig Electronics. I got to see Greg Koch use it live at a seminar the other night and it definetely fattened the sound of a Fender Vibrolux. He was doing everything from rhythym to all sorts of leads with it and it held up well. You can either get them at http://www.gregkoch.com/ site or directly from T.C. Jaurnig Electronics. I'd be interested to see if anyone else had any experience with one. According to the site, they're supposed to kick butt on a tube screamer.

I heard the clip on Greg's site...to my ears the ZW-44 seems to do the same thing but cheaper...

Brewski said:
Has anyone used the "Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator"? It's made by T.C. Jaurnig Electronics. I got to see Greg Koch use it live at a seminar the other night and it definetely fattened the sound of a Fender Vibrolux. He was doing everything from rhythym to all sorts of leads with it and it held up well. You can either get them at http://www.gregkoch.com/ site or directly from T.C. Jaurnig Electronics. I'd be interested to see if anyone else had any experience with one. According to the site, they're supposed to kick butt on a tube screamer.

TheRazMeister said:
I heard the clip on Greg's site...to my ears the ZW-44 seems to do the same thing but cheaper...

Thanks for the comparison. It's great hearing about what's out there and how you like each effect. There's another combination box coming out by the same guy that does both overdrive and clean boost. If ya thought that the DGTM was pricey, the combination pedal, called the Gristle King is $209. Then again, that's just over $100 per pedal, if you bought them separately. (BTW- I'm not pushing the pedal and am only entertaining the idea of getting one myself later on) But, just thought that I'd throw it into the mix for the conversation. Thanks again.

There are a number of ways I can get there with my Maverick, from using my attenuator to dialing in my Keeley-modded Sparkle Drive for just the right grit for rhythm. And adjusting the volume/master balance in addition will get some really nice tones (obviously). There are quite a few options/pedals to choose from that will sound nice ... I just happen to like the Sparkle Drive.

Latest posts

Back